You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last game you've played...

RedKnight

On 08/12/2020 at 11:08, Pidge said:

Currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn on PS Now. Enjoying it so far, although the story is only just beginning, a lot of the side quests feel like busywork as most characters say pretty much the same thing.

The Witcher and Zelda have, between them, ruined most open world games. Tried fallout 4 and just couldn't get into it.

I was pretty wrong, as far as open world games go this is up there with the Witcher at least. Great game. Got the platinum in a single playthrough. The ending is just brilliant.

Cyberpunk glitches aside is such a poorly made game. Its art design is the only thing going for it. There is no AI at all in this game its on the rails stuff. Its only the modern day textures and graphics modeling that separates it from a ps one game. The reactions of NPCs, traffic, the surrounding world even in GTA 3 pisses all over this game. Even aside the absolute shit show thats the last gen versions of the game CD Project red should be fucking embarrassed by this game. The AI is mind-blowingly bad I refuse to believe they have even bothered to try. The main main quest is short, what the fuck these people have been doing for 8 years I do not know. Its a shame because the bones of a great idea is there but its like its been made by contestants on task master. My mate ordered a desk on a Chinese website and he recieved the frames of a pair of sunglasses, what he got was closer to what was promised.

I've no idea if patches can fix this.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Cyberpunk glitches aside is such a poorly made game. Its art design is the only thing going for it. There is no AI at all in this game its on the rails stuff. Its only the modern day textures and graphics modeling that separates it from a ps one game. The reactions of NPCs, traffic, the surrounding world even in GTA 3 pisses all over this game. Even aside the absolute shit show thats the last gen versions of the game CD Project red should be fucking embarrassed by this game. The AI is mind-blowingly bad I refuse to believe they have even bothered to try. The main main quest is short, what the fuck these people have been doing for 8 years I do not know. Its a shame because the bones of a great idea is there but its like its been made by contestants on task master. My mate ordered a desk on a Chinese website and he recieved the frames of a pair of sunglasses, what he got was closer to what was promised.

I've no idea if patches can fix this.

That on PS4? On one of my few play attempts I thought it was quite funny how I rammed a police blockade (due to them popping in 50 yards in front of my speeding car). I just carried on and 100 yards down the road the police didn't give a shit about me. No chase, nothing. 

Also liked how I came out of my apartment and accidentally threw a grenade. Police came out of nowhere and started shooting me down. I turned to run back inside and they were even coming out of my flat!!

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

That on PS4? On one of my few play attempts I thought it was quite funny how I rammed a police blockade (due to them popping in 50 yards in front of my speeding car). I just carried on and 100 yards down the road the police didn't give a shit about me. No chase, nothing. 

Also liked how I came out of my apartment and accidentally threw a grenade. Police came out of nowhere and started shooting me down. I turned to run back inside and they were even coming out of my flat!!

Ps5. Its far far better on the PS5 but its still a very poorly made game. Its all gloss and no substance. Im not talking about the story line or missions but every single aspect of the game that isn't a building. The AI in GTA V absolutely pisses all over this game the AI and interactions in vice City piss all over this game.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Ps5. Its far far better on the PS5 but its still a very poorly made game. Its all gloss and no substance. Im not talking about the story line or missions but every single aspect of the game that isn't a building. The AI in GTA V absolutely pisses all over this game the AI and interactions in vice City piss all over this game.

Fair enough, I assumed the patch for last gen had given the processing a few shortcuts while they figures things out. Didn't know it was on next gen as well.

Rockstar really are the gold standard of open world games though. I've gone back to RDR2 and it's astounding the level of detail they've put in there. The small animations and interactions make the world feel alive.

For all their plaudits, CDPR's reputation has been largely built on quests and writing, rather than the incidentals and fundamentals of world building.

There's been near constant arguing from Cyberpunk players about the AI and GTA comparisons, I've seen loads of it over the last few weeks. The pedestrian AI isn't very good and we all agree on that, but those that are that bothered about it are probably best playing GTA instead.

After playing it for over 110 hours now I think if a few of the bugs are sorted out it'll probably be the best scifi game I've ever played. Like I said before though I've wanted an open world cyberpunk game for ages, probably from around the time I read Neuromancer over a decade ago and I prefer the city, story behind it, graphics, sound (there's an actual techno radio station called Pebkac that for me is better than any other radio station i've heard in a game) and combat to New Vegas (my previous open world scifi favourite).

The Matrix, Ghost in the Shell (anime), Akira are also things I see reflected in the story and setting and I think that's great too. I still think New Vegas is an excellent game but Night City is way more interesting to me and I think there's loads of story there when you start going through the sidequests and collecting up shards which are all over the place. I also think that Netrunning and the options it gives to hack enemies in the middle of combat are way better than VATS, and there's still huge areas of the city I've yet to explore.

But this will probably remain a divisive game for many players and my own interest in cyberpunk as a genre before playing this has definitely helped. I've often seen complaints about games with huge maps and markers all over the place for stuff to do that puts some players off as well but those are the exact type of games I like. The main story itself to me can often be like a sidequest compared to the other stuff the game has that interests me more. Saying that though I did a different ending to this game yesterday that was way more interesting to me than the first ending I had, and I still like parts of the main story.

GTA's a harsh comparison though. As it's a sandbox/action satire, rather than an RPG. Cyberpunk is inherently about the story and doesn't even have the benefit of world exploration that more comparable games like Witcher and Fallout/Skyrim have.

The AI in the Bethesda games sidestep the same issue (and always have big issues too), as do most games to be fair. Maybe makes what rockstar manage that much more impressive. 

(After this I might make a Cyberpunk 2077 thread on here later because I like this thread and don't want to be derailing it by posting back so much if I can avoid it. An actual thread could turn out fine as the game is patched and dlc added too over the course of the year maybe.)

Some of the hating of the game has turned into a bandwagon really like it did for TLOU2 too. Sony probably spat their dummies out because CDPR said players could ask them for refunds as well (I've seen people saying that other games have been easily as bad or worse but Sony never pulled those, maybe if the devs had directed fans to Sony for refunds that would've done the trick though) and journos have been turning it into something resembling more of a politics thing going on about Trans people being offended and CDPR supposedly acting like "edgelords" with the way they presented the game.

It must be one of the only games in history where you have parts of the Trans community aligned with fucking 4chan memers wanting to see the game fail too which is completely insane (and yeah I was actually on 4chan's videogames board before release because they had someone leaking good streams, so I know that a group of them wanted the game to fail before it even came out. Even on there though you have arguments between players that like the game and those that don't.)

But that's gaming for you and the internet in a pandemic year I suppose. I mentioned TLOU2 back there and that was definitely a bandwagon thing going on there with the hating of it to an extent, but at the same time I paid 50 quid for that game, played it for 4-6 hours have never touched it since. I don't think it's shit I'm just not interested in it, and I guess that's the same here for many players with Cyberpunk.

I'm not one of those people that dismiss any criticism of the game as simply "hate" either (I've seen enough shit like that outside of gaming), but it has been really mad at times. The arguing from players has got that crazy that the other reddit I linked a while back that had split off from the main one for the game has now doubled in size since I last mentioned it to almost 120k members. Then you have people saying the original reddit is full of haters and the new reddit is full of people blindly defending the game and CDPR. Maybe a medium-strength Cyberpunk 2077 reddit would solve the problem? Personally I just get sick of it after a while and play the game instead.

I won't forget that a lot of players had to try this out on a PS4 though and had a wildly different experience to the one I had. Neither CDPR or the biggest fans of the game can change that fact. And at some point I hope to actually buy the PS4 version, load it up without an internet connection for a while so it stays unpatched and see how bad it really was. I saw Digital Foundry saying that the game at times went down to 720p and that alone should drive me mad, if it doesn't the slow loading textures should do it instead. I'd say I'm looking forward to it but I'm not, also having a console version is something I want though so once it's reduced I'll try to get it on there, then eventually I'll patch the thing and see how much better it is at that point.

My criticism of cyberpunk is pretty much entirely the mechanics of the game being dated beyond belief. Even the chase scenes it doesn't matter what you do, you can fire the gun into your own head its all scripted on rails. Genuinely ps one games have had better programming throughout, it has no redeeming or standout features on that front . The art design is beautiful it is its only saving grace oh and the bones of the story. 

The whole wokeness or not I dont care, I've no interest in game politics although a small gripe of having female coppers wearing high heels just seemed stupid and a bit sexist, though ultimately I dont care enough.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

My criticism of cyberpunk is pretty much entirely the mechanics of the game being dated beyond belief.

I can see what you mean with that. If I wasn't so into the setting of the game, how I can get immersed in it through the story (meaning main story + what you can learn from npc's/shards you can collect in side content) and I didn't like the combat and exploration as much, some of the mechanics would do my head in. It's been meme'd all over the place so I've seen a lot of things that players don't like (and I've had a good laugh at a lot of it too like others have) and I get the sense that they've spent a lot of time on the things that many of us do like, then kind of rushed bringing the whole thing together with all of the flaws it has.

If the game was left in this state I'd definitely be pissed off, but I think a lot of it will be improved so those problems don't bother me as much. I think having played No Mans Sky for 200+ hours makes me a bit more tolerant of the way it is as well. That game was destroyed by players when it came out but the devs didn't even comment for the first two and a half months, they just got to work on improving the game and it's turned out a lot better. Cyberpunk isn't even a month old yet so I feel a lot more patient and optimistic about how it'll go if they stick with it.

I saw Jurassic world evolution on Steam for 3.99 so grabbed it. Probably the best theme park/zoo tycoon type game since theme hospital, prob better than that.

Every game could do with Goldblum calling you a monster every 5 minutes. Keeps you grounded as you save and then open the gates to the velociraptor pen...

57 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Downloaded fifa something I've never bothered to buy in over a decade. The start must piss evertonians and mancs off.  Im shit at it and now after yesterday's performance I just can't even be arsed looking at football.

I can't get on with modern FIFA. I try it about once every five years, then quickly realise that it's become complex and bloated. The music makes me want to drive a pencil into my ears too.

Preferred FIFA 95 on the SNES where you could cheat by standing in front of a keeper as he kicked to get a tap in.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I can't get on with modern FIFA. I try it about once every five years, then quickly realise that it's become complex and bloated. The music makes me want to drive a pencil into my ears too.

Preferred FIFA 95 on the SNES where you could cheat by standing in front of a keeper as he kicked to get a tap in.

Its not great if I'm honest. Im bored shitless I've spent most my time looking for something new to play but it all looks a bit meh

54 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Its not great if I'm honest. Im bored shitless I've spent most my time looking for something new to play but it all looks a bit meh

I know what you mean. When I get like that I tend to either completely jib gaming off for a while, or just find something brainless in my backlog to blast through on easy.

2021 could be a decent year, gaming-wise, though.

4 hours ago, Pidge said:

I saw Jurassic world evolution on Steam for 3.99 so grabbed it. Probably the best theme park/zoo tycoon type game since theme hospital, prob better than that.

Every game could do with Goldblum calling you a monster every 5 minutes. Keeps you grounded as you save and then open the gates to the velociraptor pen...

This is currently free on Epic. 

If you liked Theme Hospital, have you tried Two Point Hospital? 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/535930/Two_Point_Hospital/

On 12/12/2020 at 18:11, Red Phoenix said:

The Walking Dead - Saints & Sinners. Picked this up in a Humble Bundle VR sale a couple of months back. Great deal, about eight VR games for £13. This one still sells for £24.99 by itself. 

First impressions of the first PCVR experience is impressive. Totally immersive, very scary and great interface to the game world. It's going to take some getting used to. 

I've added Half Life Alyx to Steam on the back of it. 

Been trying since release to get a Xbox and given up and just bought one online, cost me a extra £80 but the little stock getting in is snapped up so fucking fast. 

Anyway i don't want to risk any spoilers so what state is Cyberpunk in for Series X, is it unplayable or worth picking up. I played AC Valhalla and sold it, just found it a drag and pretty boring.

Hitman is out next week and thats why i wanted to get it.