You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafas at it again!!!

WhiskeyJar

Rafa on Kenny, Spurs and Torres - Liverpool FC

Rafa Benitez took 10 minutes to chat to radio journalists ahead of our clash with Tottenham. Here's what he had to say...

Rafa on performances...

I want to be clear - I was really pleased with the teamwork and character the players showed the other day. The game wasn't the best but it is really difficult to play well in these types of games. So we showed a very, very good mentality and the workrate was fantastic. I am pleased with this, I am pleased because we needed to show character, and I think the fans realised the team was working hard for them too. We want to win and if we can we'll try to play well. But sometimes when you don't have too much confidence, you just have to get results. Last season we scored 119 goals, were playing really well and everyone was happy. Sometimes you cannot do this.

Rafa on last-minute goals...

Unfortunately it's true - we're talking about the same things. But in this game it was different because we were dealing with maybe 20 throw-ins, deep free-kicks, direct free-kicks and corners. It was really difficult and I was surprised when they scored because we did really well defending set pieces.

Rafa on bad times...

All the managers, when you've been in this business for a while, know you have good moments and bad moments. You have to analyse things and see how to react. I try to do this, try to stay calm. You also receive advice from those close to you. You have to keep working - you can't just talk.

Rafa on his reign...

Before playing against Tottenham is maybe not the right time to talk about this, but I will because everyone is talking a lot. The difference between the club then and now is massive in terms of money, value of the squad and the pride. The people are proud again. When I came here we won the Champions League for the first time in 21 years. We are the only club in England that has the trophy after winning it five times. As a club we have pride again, and that's very important. The fans realise this and they always try to push and support the team. They know you have good moments and bad moments. At this moment we are not playing well, we have to improve and we have this game against Tottenham. If we can win I'm sure we'll be a little bit happier and the race for fourth will maybe be easier.

Rafa on how much we need to improve...

I was talking to Kenny (Dalglish) the other day about steps. We talked about how we just need to make a short step now - but this step is the most difficult. We have improved and gone from a six out of 10 to maybe an eight or a nine. To go from nine to 10 is really difficult, especially now. If you analyse the history of the Premier League, the TV came and everyone has money. If you can sign £20-30million players it can make a massive difference. We know from our experience that if you do this, do it properly and are successful with one of these signings like Torres, it can make a massive difference.

Rafa on Kenny's support...

We talk sometimes but he's at the Academy with Frank McParland. We talk about how the players are doing in the Academy. The other day we had a short conversation about football. It was interesting because we talked about how the club is improving and the difficulty in taking one (final) step forward.

Rafa on the fans...

The fans were really good at Stoke, at half-time when it was 0-0 and we weren't playing really well. We were showing character and the fans were fantastic. At the end of the game I'm sure they were disappointed like everyone because we conceded a 90th minute goal and after we had the chance and the penalty shout. But the fans, the real fan, know that to change things we have to support the players.

Rafa on desire...

We were talking yesterday - me, Sammy, Paco, Pellegrino, Xavi and the other staff - about how important it is to show the fans that we want to win. The players on the pitch have to show this character and the kind of teamwork the fans appreciate. I will try to fight for the fans too from now until the last day.

Rafa on Crouch and Keane returning...

If you have to name a player who'll score against us for Tottenham, it would have to be Defoe or Crouch or Keane. They are the strikers and they are scoring goals. They are both nice lads, good players and good professionals. They are not here now for different reasons. Crouch is a fantastic player but when he came he played 14 games and everyone criticised me for supporting him. But he's a good player and he did really well for England. He wanted to play every week so he went to Portsmouth and then Tottenham, which was fantastic for him. Hopefully he can score a lot of goals - for England. Keane came and he was a big name but sometimes players don't perform in your team the way you expected but he's playing well now for Tottenham. Again, all the best to him for Ireland. I don't want to see either of them scoring too many goals for Tottenham because we want to finish in the top four.

Rafa on Torres's surgery...

He had a problem with his knee and everything was fine with the surgery. Fernando and the doctor told me it was better than expected but still we are talking about five or six weeks.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that annoyed me about the match at Stoke, was our approach.

In possession all our back four were 'hoofing' the ball up to Ngog and the poor guy wasn't really given a chance to hold up the ball half the time. The few times we played the ball to feet and strung a few passes together - we threatened. For example in the first half, when we shopuld have had a penalty with nice nice move between Degan and Lucas.

Now Stoke would have wanted us to launch long balls up to Ngog as they would have fancied their chances that they would win more headers, it is playing to their strengths. Now at half time, I'm guessing Rafa didn't tell the team to play the ball to feet more, as the defenders were still just 'hoofing' balls upfield. Again the few times we got the ball down, we looked threatening such as the move at the end, with a superb cross from Aurelio and header from Kuyt.

Benitez is paid to get the most out of the players and by that it means telling the players the best way to approach the game - hence to feet, rather than long, hopeful balls.

He calls the stoke performance an 8/10? What the fuck? It was more like a 4/10.

I don't think he's specifically referring to the Stoke game in that comment. What he's saying is in 2005 we were 6/10, last season we were 8 or 9 out of 10. To win the league we need to make the final step to 10/10, and that's the most difficult part.

That's how I read it, anyway. I doubt he said to Kenny "what do you think of the Stoke performance? An 8/10, no?"

Edited by TK421

What do people want him to say in a press conference? This team is playing shit and needs to have a look at themselves. I'm sure given how long our bad run has been there has been there have been times when he has told them that and other times when he has tried to build up their confidence. But the idea that he should be slaughtering his team in public so that the media can have a field day is hardly to way to get us out of this mess.

The difference between the club then and now is massive in terms of money, value of the squad and the pride. The people are proud again. When I came here we won the Champions League for the first time in 21 years. We are the only club in England that has the trophy after winning it five times. As a club we have pride again, and that's very important. The fans realise this and they always try to push and support the team. They know you have good moments and bad moments. At this moment we are not playing well, we have to improve and we have this game against Tottenham. If we can win I'm sure we'll be a little bit happier and the race for fourth will maybe be easier.

Rafa on the fans...

The fans were really good at Stoke, at half-time when it was 0-0 and we weren't playing really well. We were showing character and the fans were fantastic. At the end of the game I'm sure they were disappointed like everyone because we conceded a 90th minute goal and after we had the chance and the penalty shout. But the fans, the real fan, know that to change things we have to support the players.

Yes I'm absolutely filled with pride at being in with outside chance of grabbing forth place.

The real fans ????

I don't think he's suggesting that struggling in a race for 4th should make us proud, either. That would be daft.

Any other way we can misrepresent his words? Any takers?

Yes I'm absolutely filled with pride at being in with outside chance of grabbing forth place.

The real fans ????

Well he is talking about his reign, you know the past five years!

The team that was never seriously thinking about winning a European cup, suddenly to find itself in two finals during his reign!

He isn't talking about this season, lets be firm about that, Rafa is not talking about this season, anything but this season!

I don't think he's suggesting that struggling in a race for 4th should make us proud, either. That would be daft.

Any other way we can misrepresent his words? Any takers?

"was talking to Kenny (Dalglish) the other day about steps. We talked about how we just need to make a short step now"

Not being funny here, we are in the midst of a really poor run of form, out of the champions league, the league, the FA cup and the littlewoods cup, and this fucking idiot is talking about building work!

Fucks sake!