You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Limerick, Ireland

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Off for two nights on Saturday, any of our Irish contingent have any pearls of wisdom on what to do and where to go?

Nice one

Guest davelfc

If you're intending to go to this place

you have to talk at this speed and this pace

in a five line rhyme

which in a short time

makes you want to get right off your face

At what point is it acceptable to start the RIP UEM thread?

Take a bus to Ennis while you're there. Lovely little town about 30 mins away, and less chance of been murdered too, which is nice!

Met a group of girls from Ennis (Co. Clare is it?) whilst I was on a stag in Cork some years back - very nice they were too.

Some very helpful replies received thus far to a fair enough question from UEM.

Sorry mate - Can't be more use as I've never stopped in Limerick only passed through. Which from the gist of advice received so far would appear to be the sensible choice.

Cork was alright though if that helps.

In all seriousness mate, you should go out to Bunratty castle, which is on the outskirts of the city.

The Castle and the grounds are quite nice and they have rebuilt the vilalge surrounding the castle which is interesting.

At night they hold banquets in the main hall. Details here: Shannon Heritage

It may sound kitsch, but its really entertaining. You can drink as much Meade as you like and all courses are eaten with original cutlery from medievil times. So your ribs are eaten with a dagger.

Afterwards there is a great little pub called Dirty Nellies which is at the drawbridge of the castle. Definitely worth a few drinks afterwards.

It may sound kitsch, but its really entertaining. You can drink as much Meade as you like and all courses are eaten with original cutlery from medievil times. So your ribs are eaten with a dagger.

Thats how all the locals eat down there still.

When McGill steps off the plane the Moyross mafia will be shouting "Fresh meat, fresh meat" and have their daggers drawn.

Seriously though that is a good idea about Bunratty castle. Its a good bit out of the city centre so expect a decent taxi fare home but he is right, those banquets are great craic. Might be booked up though at this late stage.

I'm sure the city centre is fine. England rugby top might be pushing it but you would be safer wearing the one below. The locals appreciate their rugby and fine teams like this ...

4939.jpg

Thats how all the locals eat down there still.

When McGill steps off the plane the Moyross mafia will be shouting "Fresh meat, fresh meat" and have their daggers drawn.

Seriously though that is a good idea about Bunratty castle. Its a good bit out of the city centre so expect a decent taxi fare home but he is right, those banquets are great craic. Might be booked up though at this late stage.

I'm sure the city centre is fine. England rugby top might be pushing it but you would be safer wearing the one below. The locals appreciate their rugby and fine teams like this ...

4939.jpg

Ha,ha.. Don't you like UEM?

Ireland, don't talk to Terry Tibbs about Ireland or indeed the Ireland. Back in the seventies, Terry Tibbs and the couple of the lads from the "purple vein" gentleans club went on a jolly to Dublin. I won't go into it too much; we drank guiness, there was an altercation at the pub with us and a few guys with ginger sideburns, bish bash bosh Terry Tibbs did 16 years. I can't talk too much about it, Terry Tibbs is still fighting to clear his name, but sharing a cell for the best part of 2 decades with a 19stone member of the UDA called Micky is no way to spend your time. Have you been to prison son? Wall to wall man friends. I've been out the slammer 20 years now and still can't sit down. Fackin Irish. Keep your hurling and your Guiness, it tastes like warm horse spunk anyway.

Ireland, don't talk to Terry Tibbs about Ireland or indeed the Ireland. Back in the seventies, Terry Tibbs and the couple of the lads from the "purple vein" gentleans club went on a jolly to Dublin. I won't go into it too much; we drank guiness, there was an altercation at the pub with us and a few guys with ginger sideburns, bish bash bosh Terry Tibbs did 16 years. I can't talk too much about it, Terry Tibbs is still fighting to clear his name, but sharing a cell for the best part of 2 decades with a 19stone member of the UDA called Micky is no way to spend your time. Have you been to prison son? Wall to wall man friends. I've been out the slammer 20 years now and still can't sit down. Fackin Irish. Keep your hurling and your Guiness, it tastes like warm horse spunk anyway.

Warm horse spunk..... Prey tell,how did you find this out? Did the UDA bloke have Shergar in the cell with him?

Stab city thats all I can say.

WOW, how original, did you get help thinkin that one up!!:whatever:

Limerick is alot like Liverpool ie financially forgotten about by succesive governments in the 70's and 80's and had extremely high unemployment. This of course led to a relatively high crime rate but due mainly to the Dublin based media( read London based for Liverpool) we got a far worse reputation then we deserved. Don't get me wrong like every major town or city we have our problems but no worse than anywhere else. Its changed massively for the better over the last few years i might add and there are never any negative comments from away rugby fans over for the heineken cup matches, in Thomond Park home of Munster Rugby, they always have a ball down here. Rant over

Point is go there and see for yourself and you'll have great time.

WOW, how original, did you get help thinkin that one up!!:whatever:

Limerick is alot like Liverpool ie financially forgotten about by succesive governments in the 70's and 80's and had extremely high unemployment. This of course led to a relatively high crime rate but due mainly to the Dublin based media( read London based for Liverpool) we got a far worse reputation then we deserved. Don't get me wrong like every major town or city we have our problems but no worse than anywhere else. Its changed massively for the better over the last few years i might add and there are never any negative comments from away rugby fans over for the heineken cup matches, in Thomond Park home of Munster Rugby, they always have a ball down here. Rant over

Point is go there and see for yourself and you'll have great time.

Comparing Limerick to Liverpool is like comparing getting AIDS to winning the lottery.

Not in the context in which i was making my point, which if you read the 1st line you'd have realised.

Winning the lottery in the 80's is still great. Getting AIDS in the 80's is still shit.

But in all fairness the media are cunts, the 'Stab City' thing is stupid as I reckon you're as likely to get striped in Dublin as you are in Limerick. Nonetheless Limerick definitely isn't 'average' in terms of the problems down there and some of the stories, which are true, have been horrific.