You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*** Free Michael Shields Campaign - Action Required‏ ***

FranStan

Those who want this thread to be moved are either Jack Straw, or Jack Straw's Mother.

Out of sight

Out of mind

I'm neither and my opinion is that the issue has nowt to do with LFC.

I'm not being sarcastic, taking it personally that someone disagrees or being abusive.

Jack Straw's mother...Would we?

PICS!

So every crime commited should be linked and defined by what team the convicted or accused supports or whether he was on holiday after attending a sporting event?

No, its the often cringeworthy nature of some of the thinking behind LFC that drags it in; the local press are as guilty as anyone of promoting, stirring and selling off of the back of it.

Far too may people blindly follow on the back of this "one of us" thing; its one of "us"; so we should use the Club's name to clear him and push for an acquital and now a pardon - if I see the Club's badge once more over a shot of Michael's face, I'll have a breakdown.

I wouldn't have happened to me or many match-going reds I know as I wouldn't have been in that situation surrounded by hundreds of trackied-up, pissed up scalls; I'm 31, have many more years exposure to pre and post-game situations that simply feel a bit lively, am born and bred in central liverpool, my current family live 10 minutes down the road from Mount Pleasant and Michael's home and I've never had a fight or been involved in anything like that in my life; so it wouldn't have "anyone of us" at all...I go out most weeks and bevvy around home games since I was 15...nothing.

So no, it couldn't have been anyone of us.

The lad had paid a price, guilty or not but it has nothing to do with Liverpool Football Club and in no way whatsoever could it have been "anyone of us" -that is down to the circles and situations you allow yourself to be surrounded in.

In my opinion.

The circumstances were that he happened to be in the same hotel as the perpertrators of the assault. How can he be at fault for that? You are implying that Michael was involved when evidence points elswhere. It could have been anyone of us.

it was shown on the bbc local news before the leaked merseyside police document that says, if it was in this country he would have reason to appeal and while that was going on would have been on bail.also coming ouit of the shields family home was brian reade and carra.

I don't get that bit, maybe you can elaborate.

Simple really, anyone who was at that resort could have been accused of this. Shields was in the room next to the one that the 'accused' where. However, when the police found nobody there they looked next door and foung MS and he was dragged away. This was in the defence files, I advise you to look it up as its seems you feels he's guilty.

So every crime commited should be linked and defined by what team the convicted or accused supports or whether he was on holiday after attending a sporting event?

No, its the often cringeworthy nature of some of the thinking behind LFC that drags it in; the local press are as guilty as anyone of promoting, stirring and selling off of the back of it.

Far too may people blindly follow on the back of this "one of us" thing; its one of "us"; so we should use the Club's name to clear him and push for an acquital and now a pardon - if I see the Club's badge once more over a shot of Michael's face, I'll have a breakdown.

I wouldn't have happened to me or many match-going reds I know as I wouldn't have been in that situation surrounded by hundreds of trackied-up, pissed up scalls; I'm 31, have many more years exposure to pre and post-game situations that simply feel a bit lively, am born and bred in central liverpool, my current family live 10 minutes down the road from Mount Pleasant and Michael's home and I've never had a fight or been involved in anything like that in my life; so it wouldn't have "anyone of us" at all...I go out most weeks and bevvy around home games since I was 15...nothing.

So no, it couldn't have been anyone of us.

The lad had paid a price, guilty or not but it has nothing to do with Liverpool Football Club and in no way whatsoever could it have been "anyone of us" -that is down to the circles and situations you allow yourself to be surrounded in.

In my opinion.

I'm not interested in the "one of us" anymore, but its obviously the reason we know about the case. Now we know about it, do we ignore his plight because we don't want the clubs attachment? Its about a young lad who (by more intelligent and knowledgeable people than I's opinion) is innocent and NOT ONE bit of evidence can be shown to prove his guilt. Even the barman never saw his attacker but instead, after 2 weeks of Michaels picture in the Turkish press, indentified him when he recovered.

As for where he stayed, how does he control this when every ticket and hotel room was a scramble to book?

Also, according to the police, Shields has never been in trouble with them. That doesn't make him a saint and it doesn't make him guilty either.

I think I'm preaching to the converted and hopefully you won't have breakdown.

I'm not implying his guilt, questioning the case or putting the boot in; few lads twisting words here, taking stuff a bit personally and not allowing others a viewpoint; if you don't agree, that's the point we log in, not to distort the stance of others.

My feelings and opinion is that I personally feel really uncomfortable with the permanent connection to LFC.

I hope the truth, whatever it is, does come out and I'll express my thoughts then but only from a humane perspective; not automatically as a partisan, scarf-waving, fellow fan.

My feelings and opinion is that I personally feel really uncomfortable with the permanent connection to LFC.

He was coming home from a game which 40,000 like him travelled to. He didn't come to England for another year, and he still isn't home yet.

Liverpool FC was the reason why he was there.

I'm not implying his guilt, questioning the case or putting the boot in; few lads twisting words here, taking stuff a bit personally and not allowing others a viewpoint; if you don't agree, that's the point we log in, not to distort the stance of others.

I hope the truth, whatever it is, does come out and I'll express my thoughts then but only from a humane perspective; not automatically as a partisan, scarf-waving, fellow fan.

So, if you were in Michaels position would you be happy with our support as LFC fans, hoping it would help with your release? Or would you wish we didn't bother and sit in your cell waiting for your sentence to end, knowing that when your released you will have a criminal record which may ruin your future career path?

I travel to European aways, and I dont care what the post above says it could have happened to me or anyone else. Im completely behind this campaign. It has everything to do with liverpool football club, and I for one am glad and proud that they have backed this campaign in the past.

So, if you were in Michaels position would you be happy with our support as LFC fans, hoping it would help with your release? Or would you wish we didn't bother and sit in your cell waiting for your sentence to end, knowing that when your released you will have a criminal record which may ruin your future career path?

I'd he happy enough with the support, love and care of my family and friends; they'd be enough for me.

That's maybe just me, as I say, opinions and thought.

I travel to European aways, and I dont care what the post above says it could have happened to me or anyone else. Im completely behind this campaign. It has everything to do with liverpool football club, and I for one am glad and proud that they have backed this campaign in the past.

Spot on. If you do go round europe watching us then you'd know the shitty way we always get treated. As a footy fan abroad you're a second class citizen, had Michael been on a normal lads holiday I very much doubt he'd have got treated in the same shoddy way. We're all tard with the same brush as reds and the stupid actions of a few bring the rest of us down sometimes. They couldn't give a fuck who they got for the crime, it was attributed to liverpool fans, and a liverpool fan was all's the authorities needed.

I don't know why this thread has to turn into another justification of why we should be showing our support for Michael Shields, it's getting a bit repetitve now people churning out the same bollocks about 'just because he's a red doesn't mean he's innocent', this thread to me seemed like it was put up for people who want to show their support for Michael, if you don't then fine but why try and again continually bait people into an argument, there is another thread where his appeal can be discussed.

For fucks sake can't people have a fucking opinion on anything anymore. Siege mentality is getting a bit boring now. Bourbon makes some perfectly valid reasons for how he looks at the situation and people see red, take it personal, realise it doesnt go with their opinion and then have a go like a pack of wolves.

Fucking grow up kids. Opinions differ that is why civilised people have debates without getting personal. Some people make a situation more of a drama than it needs to be. And this is not just about this thread or The Michael Shields case.

For fucks sake can't people have a fucking opinion on anything anymore. Siege mentality is getting a bit boring now. Bourbon makes some perfectly valid reasons for how he looks at the situation and people see red, take it personal, realise it doesnt go with their opinion and then have a go like a pack of wolves.

Fucking grow up kids. Opinions differ that is why civilised people have debates without getting personal. Some people make a situation more of a drama than it needs to be. And this is not just about this thread or The Michael Shields case.

Dont really see too much where you say people have just started attacking him to be honest, not in the last few posts anyway.

so people aren't allowed to disagree with him?

as for the subject in hand, there's been a few posts that have said it, but i think it needs to be said again and again - anyone who travels away on any type of regular basis to watch us knows full well this could have happened to absolutely anyone at anytime. anyone who went to that final in 2005 is lucky it wasn't them - that is the reason why this should be linked with the club and the fans. imo, this is the type of thing that is exactly what the Supporters Union should be there for - we should be sticking together a fighting what is a plain and obvious miscarrage of justice. A lads life is in ruins for no other reason than he went to watch his team play football, I don't see why anyone would not want to support him or at least let others do so.

EDIT ... and if you don't want to read about it on the FF, then don't click on the link. The subject matter is pretty clear before you do so.

I don't really see where people have done that to be honest, you are accusing people of going over the top and doing exactly that yourself, the point I was making was that if we want to get into a debate on Shields' innocence there is another thread where people have been doing that, to me this thread seems like it was started to make people aware of action being taken to help free Michael, not to have another debate on why we should support him.

so people aren't allowed to disagree with him?

as for the subject in hand, there's been a few posts that have said it, but i think it needs to be said again and again - anyone who travels away on any type of regular basis to watch us knows full well this could have happened to absolutely anyone at anytime. anyone who went to that final in 2005 is lucky it wasn't them - that is the reason why this should be linked with the club and the fans. imo, this is the type of thing that is exactly what the Supporters Union should be there for - we should be sticking together a fighting what is a plain and obvious miscarrage of justice. A lads life is in ruins for no other reason than he went to watch his team play football, I don't see why anyone would not want to support him or at least let others do so.

EDIT ... and if you don't want to read about it on the FF, then don't click on the link. The subject matter is pretty clear before you do so.

Spot on. The idea is to publicise Michael Sheilds and the FF is the best way to do that, if you don't agree, don't go, don't click, don't register interest. But don't lecture those of us who do.