You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mascherano seeks pay rise as Liverpool break bank for Johnson | Metro.co.uk

Mascherano seeks pay rise as Liverpool break bank for Johnson

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Liverpool may have to triple Javier Mascherano's salary to ward off interest from Barcelona in the midfielder.

The Argentine enforcer is believed to earn significantly less than Anfield's top earners, a situation underlined by Monday's £17million signing of Glen Johnson from Portsmouth.

The England right-back is tipped to sign a deal worth £4m-a-year - over three times Mascherano's salary.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez is adamant the key midfielder is not for sale, but with European champions Barca waiting in the wings the Daily Mirror claims Mascherano will ask for his current £25,000-a-week deal to be trebled to persuade him to stay.

That would put the former West Ham man's earnings in line with Benitez's top players - with the likes of captain Steven Gerrard and striker Fernando Torres earning around £100,000-a-week.

Pay him.

fucking hell £25k p/w is nothing in today's market

he is easily worth £75k no problem

i can see why he was paid so little to start with cos we were unsure whether he would work out - but he has proved his worth so pay him

this is the sort of shit that goes on with our club that does my fucking head in!!

and i guess if he sees Kuyt being offered a new deal then it's like 'why doesn't the club value me enough to give me a pay rise?'

he is fucking captain of Argentina FFS!!!!

fucking hell £25k p/w is nothing in today's market

he is easily worth £75k no problem

i can see why he was paid so little to start with cos we were unsure whether he would work out - but he has proved his worth so pay him

this is the sort of shit that goes on with our club that does my fucking head in!!

and i guess if he sees Kuyt being offered a new deal then it's like 'why doesn't the club value me enough to give me a pay rise?'

he is fucking captain of Argentina FFS!!!!

Being captain of argentina means fuck all to liverpool football club. What does mean something is the performances that he's put in for US not argentina. But based on his performances for us then yes he definitely does deserve a payrise. Even agger and skrtel are on more than him. I'd give him a payrise to £80k by today's market.

Being captain of argentina means fuck all to liverpool football club. What does mean something is the performances that he's put in for US not argentina. But based on his performances for us then yes he definitely does deserve a payrise. Even agger and skrtel are on more than him. I'd give him a payrise to £80k by today's market.

How long did Benitez think he could get away with paying Mascherano less than Degen?!?!?!?!?!?!?:whoops:

How long did Benitez think he could get away with paying Mascherano less than Degen?!?!?!?!?!?!?:whoops:

We don't KNOW its true, but if its true then i'm sure they will offer him a payrise. Sort of like the situation with toure at barcelona. All of a sudden he wanted to leave, got a payrise and now he's staying.

He's well worth £75k a week (as far as anyone playing football can actually be worth the crazy money that is). I hope though that it is only a pay rise he's after as the constant 'Oooh Barcelona are great' shit SUPPOSEDLY coming from him, and I say supposedly,is getting on my nerves. If does not want to play for the club fuck him off but make Barcelona pay through the nose for him. I wouldn't mind Toure in some type of swap + cash!

Skrtel is on around 35,000 a week. At least that is the number written in Slovak media. But his next contract will surely be 50+ and so should be Mascherano´s.

Basically that piece is saying that Rafael Benitez doesn't want to sell Mascherano for anything less than a huge fee but Barca are willing to tempt him with an offer of €30 million which is the maximum that they are willing to spend.

It also says that much depends on what happens with Alonso because if he goes to Madrid then Liverpool definitely won't be selling Mascherano.

It also says that much depends on what happens with Alonso because if he goes to Madrid then Liverpool definitely won't be selling Mascherano.

We should state the fee for the pair of them and tell the interested parties to put up or shut up. This farce has gone on too long already. Real and Barca will wait until mid-August knowing that both players want to leave.

If we end up losing both of them and not having time to spend the money on replacements our season will be over before it starts.

The time to act is now.