You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Good spot Woo... I liked this bit by Pep..

'There are many good players in youth systems around the world, but you need to have the bravery to give them a chance and that's what we do.'

The Cruyff adds this bit but you can't argue with it.

'We are showing the football world it's possible to win with honour, playing

attacking football and doing so with the core of the team home-grown.

'I don't buy the English model. There are very few English players in the big four teams.

'I love what Barca are doing. They are fulfilling the obligations of a great club: entertaining the world and doing so with local players.'

Well unlike us their academy system has not been built on the ideas of Hughes, Brooking, Wilkinson, Heighway and Parry. We have to start somewhere. We tried having someone other than the manager in charge and it hasn't worked, so we start again.

At least this time we've brought into someone who knows how the Barcelona system works and won't be playing the percentages game.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well unlike us their academy system has not been built on the ideas of Hughes, Brooking, Wilkinson, Heighway and Parry. We have to start somewhere. We tried having someone other than the manager in charge and it hasn't worked, so we start again.

At least this time we've brought into someone who knows how the Barcelona system works and won't be playing the percentages game.

Our Youth system lead to United reaching two champions league finals and Liverpool reaching two champions league finals, Barcelona have reached two!

Well done, as I say Barcelona have spent shit loads of money over the years so lets not try to re write history! They are a wonderful club and unlike Man U they don't need to appeal to peoples convenient memories!

Our Youth system lead to United reaching two champions league finals and Liverpool reaching two champions league finals, Barcelona have reached two!

Well done, as I say Barcelona have spent shit loads of money over the years so lets not try to re write history! They are a wonderful club and unlike Man U they don't need to appeal to peoples convenient memories!

Manure bought all the exceptional talents that our youth system wasn't able to destroy and Benitez's tactics got us to CL finals IMO.

You may be right about Barca, I don't really know much about their system, maybe they have just hit lucky period, but I think it's fair to say that at Liverpool FC our inability to produce technically and tactically sound players for a while now needs to be addressed and a break from the past is required.

Time for another one of my long posts. I’m sure it’s been suggested before, and I remember stating something similar in another thread recently. Again, it might be wishful thinking, but for a moment let’s leave aside our financial situation and the ongoing “custodianship” of G&H.

McParland’s review has been designed to bring the Academy closer to the first team. Now part of this has resulted in significant job losses (again I won’t go into these as they are being discussed elsewhere), some of which remain to be filled. The overall idea seems focussed on the technical coaching of young players, so they want players at all levels to have sufficient access to medical and fitness personnel.

From reports at other clubs, the youth players have benefited from being able to train alongside, or in close proximity to, first-team players. Rather than being told by coaches that this is how it works, they are able to see it with their own eyes. I don’t know about you, but if I were an Academy player I would be extra-motivated to up my game when given this opportunity on a regular basis. At the moment, our young players aren’t getting a sufficient taster, and coupled with the political shenanigans, they have been left in the cold. All they can see is a glass ceiling. They see no reason why they should improve.

Younger players are more likely to lose motivation if they cannot see a clear progression to the top. With parents and agents also constantly involved, it cannot be long before apathy with their predicament kicks in and they want to leave. Working alongside the top players regularly will help keep their heads up. All of which leads me to my new controversial suggestion.

Having looked at the land area around both the Academy site and Melwood (on Google maps), it makes sense to me for the club to leave Melwood and uproot to the Academy. There seems to be enough land around the Academy site for a Melwood-like complex to be built. The whole site could house the training and administration bases of the club.

I reckon the Melwood site has a greater land value than the equivalent space in Kirkby. If the club are able to sell Melwood, some the revenue generated would be used to build replacement first-team facilities in Kirkby. Basically, something similar to what Perez did at Real Madrid in 2000. It’s a long while ago, but I read somewhere that Steve Morgan would likely have implemented something like this had he taken control of the club. If true, it would have been one of his better ideas.

Aside from the wishful thinking on this post, this seems to me the best way to show a clear progression for players through the ranks, and a much more communicative, less divisive plan for the management team. A reputed control freak like Rafa would surely welcome the opportunity to oversee everything at close quarters.

What did they mean about the sign?

u8s_lpool.jpg

I'd imagine he means we are going to replace this with the full club crest so that the kids don't think they're playing at some LFC sponsored Sunday School club, but that they are an integral part of LFC. He must think it'll make a psychological difference to them, possibly?

.....the downside is that the Academy Director has to report to the manager which is not how it is done at any other club in world football - not least at Barcelona where they are pretty damn good at it.

Let me guess, a Technical Director. Right?

Time for another one of my long posts. I’m sure it’s been suggested before, and I remember stating something similar in another thread recently. Again, it might be wishful thinking, but for a moment let’s leave aside our financial situation and the ongoing “custodianship” of G&H.

McParland’s review has been designed to bring the Academy closer to the first team. Now part of this has resulted in significant job losses (again I won’t go into these as they are being discussed elsewhere), some of which remain to be filled. The overall idea seems focussed on the technical coaching of young players, so they want players at all levels to have sufficient access to medical and fitness personnel.

From reports at other clubs, the youth players have benefited from being able to train alongside, or in close proximity to, first-team players. Rather than being told by coaches that this is how it works, they are able to see it with their own eyes. I don’t know about you, but if I were an Academy player I would be extra-motivated to up my game when given this opportunity on a regular basis. At the moment, our young players aren’t getting a sufficient taster, and coupled with the political shenanigans, they have been left in the cold. All they can see is a glass ceiling. They see no reason why they should improve.

Younger players are more likely to lose motivation if they cannot see a clear progression to the top. With parents and agents also constantly involved, it cannot be long before apathy with their predicament kicks in and they want to leave. Working alongside the top players regularly will help keep their heads up. All of which leads me to my new controversial suggestion.

Having looked at the land area around both the Academy site and Melwood (on Google maps), it makes sense to me for the club to leave Melwood and uproot to the Academy. There seems to be enough land around the Academy site for a Melwood-like complex to be built. The whole site could house the training and administration bases of the club.

I reckon the Melwood site has a greater land value than the equivalent space in Kirkby. If the club are able to sell Melwood, some the revenue generated would be used to build replacement first-team facilities in Kirkby. Basically, something similar to what Perez did at Real Madrid in 2000. It’s a long while ago, but I read somewhere that Steve Morgan would likely have implemented something like this had he taken control of the club. If true, it would have been one of his better ideas.

Aside from the wishful thinking on this post, this seems to me the best way to show a clear progression for players through the ranks, and a much more communicative, less divisive plan for the management team. A reputed control freak like Rafa would surely welcome the opportunity to oversee everything at close quarters.

As regards building a complex and selling Melwood didn't nasty Rafa once suggest that we should build some stands and have the ressies playing their home games at the training complex.

u8s_lpool.jpg

I'd imagine he means we are going to replace this with the full club crest so that the kids don't think they're playing at some LFC sponsored Sunday School club, but that they are an integral part of LFC. He must think it'll make a psychological difference to them, possibly?

I think he may mean this sign;

130207_academy_120_01.jpg

What is a joke about it Menc? When the club hasn't won anything in ages and all we hear is about politics and other such shite, I think it would be kind of nice not hearing Rafa's opinion of things not in his remit. He has huge control and the excuses will soon come to an end, although alongside the two cunts Rafa looks a bigger legend than Paisley.

I am just sick of hearing people like Coop telling us about infrastructure stuff suggested by our manager! Yes thats my OPINION. MINE MINE MINE- I thought that was obvious given its me posting it.

He thought having the ressies playing at our training complex like they do at Real Madrid would be better then them playing their home games at places like Warrington and Wrexham where the pitches have been shocking.

What is a joke about it Menc? When the club hasn't won anything in ages and all it hears is about politics and other such shite, I think it would be kind of nice not hearing Rafa's opinion of things not in his remit. He has huge control and the excuses will soon come to an end, although alongside the two cunts Rafa looks a bigger legend than Paisley.

I am sick of hearing people like Coop telling us about infrastructure stuff suggested by our manager! Yes thats my OPINION. MINE MINE MINE- I thought that was obvious given its me posting it.

WAHHHHH! WAAHHHHHH! WAHHHHH!

duracell_bunny.jpg

What is a joke about it Menc? When the club hasn't won anything in ages and all we hear is about politics and other such shite, I think it would be kind of nice not hearing Rafa's opinion of things not in his remit. He has huge control and the excuses will soon come to an end, although alongside the two cunts Rafa looks a bigger legend than Paisley.

I am just sick of hearing people like Coop telling us about infrastructure stuff suggested by our manager! Yes thats my OPINION. MINE MINE MINE- I thought that was obvious given its me posting it.

What do you mean people like Coop.

I made a comment that was freely available in the press.

What do you mean people like Coop.

I made a comment that was freely available in the press.

You only make comments linked to "Good old Rafa" saving Liverpool again and it's tiresome Coop. I know others on the opposite side of the fence are just as tedious mind. (like myself)....

Is that what's really getting to you?