You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i really dont see where this 20m number comes from?

we saved 10m from Keane atleast, which must be added to the pot, because we made a bid for Arshavin on deadline day (according to his agent).

so the owners must have been willing to let Rafa spend it, and still shud be.

Add to that the extra 5m from finishing 2nd instead of 4th, thats atleast 15m more than last years budget (20m), and im being pessimistic.

35m before sales atleast in my mind, maybe more.

We have bills to pay though

We always talk about our budget but the truth is none of us knows how much it is. It is easy to say £20M plus sales, or £20M plus Keane money plus sales; or £20M plus Keane money plus sales plus bonus money for second etc.

I'm about to depress myself, but we need to remind ourselves about the ownership situation. In all likelihood, they are awarding themselves dividends (or being more generous than an MP on the expenses front), and they are probably pulling money out to make the minimal loan payments etc.

I don't think we can count on our budget stretching to too much.

My best guess is £20M plus sales, but if all that isn't spent in this window, it does not carry over. I suspect that's what will have happened to the Keane money.

Insane guess work from people in the know (cough, cough) from Football Rumours.com:

Real Madrid are chasing Xabi Alonso. However if any move is to go through, Liverpool will demand £12mil as well as Sergio Ramos.

Arsenal are also chasing Alonso but do not value him at around £25mil like Madrid. If he goes to Arsenal, Liverpool will want Van Persie and 10mil. This deal is VERY UNLIKELY to happen.

If Ancelotti joins Chelsea, they will also look to sign Alonso. However Liverpool don't want to sell to Chelsea, and the only way a deal would go through is if Michael Essien went in the other direction. Exactly, NO DEAL.

Man City also want him but Alonso doesn't want to go there.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Liverpool Transfers 2009/10 Season

IN:

David Silva(Velencia) – 17m

Joe Hart(Man City) – 5m

Rafinha(Schalke) – 6.5m

Kuba Blaszczykowski(Dortmund) – 8m

Gareth Barry(Aston Villa) – 9m

Gareth Bale(Tottenham) – 8m

Keirrison(Palmeiras) – 12m

Michael Johnson(Man City) – 6m

Arda Turan(Galatasaray) – 9m

Luis Suarez(Ajax) – Swap with Ryan Babel

Michael Owen(Newcastle) – Free

OUT:

Diego Cavalieri – Benfica 3m

Andrea Dossena – Juventus 6m

Sami Hyypia – Bayer Leverkusen Free

Albert Riera – Villarreal 10m

Yossi Benayoun – Roma 5m

Ryan Babel – Swap with Luis Suarez

Jermaine Pennant – Portsmouth Free

Alvaro Arbeloa – Atletico Madrid 7m

Lucas Leiva – Atletico Madrid 8m

Philipp Degen – Basel Free

Charles Itandje – PSG 1m

Nabil El Zhar – Lyon 2m

Damien Plessis – Monaco 4m

-----------------------------

Rumours that I have heard about:

INS:

Tevez – £25m (Heard from a very reliable source that bar a dramatic change of circumstances this is all but completed)

Gourcuff – £14m (Cheaper and physically more able to deal with the PL than Silva, however Bordeaux have first option so may never really become available)

Barry – £9m (Not a certainty but highly likely)

Johnson – £7m (Also write off rest of Crouch fee)

OUTS:

Babel – £10m (Roma offered Vucinic in a swap deal but Rafa wants the cash to pursue other targets)

Dossena – £5m (apparently 2 offers have been recieved from Italian clubs)

Voronin – £3m (Since Hertha haven't taken up the option both Stuttgart and Wolfsburg have enquired)

These are only rumours that I have heard. I have no sources close to the club, however the guy that told me about Tevez has links to Manchester City.

Conclusion:

They know fuck all. 2 + 2 = 154

Insane guess work from people in the know (cough, cough) from Football Rumours.com:

Real Madrid are chasing Xabi Alonso. However if any move is to go through, Liverpool will demand £12mil as well as Sergio Ramos.

Arsenal are also chasing Alonso but do not value him at around £25mil like Madrid. If he goes to Arsenal, Liverpool will want Van Persie and 10mil. This deal is VERY UNLIKELY to happen.

If Ancelotti joins Chelsea, they will also look to sign Alonso. However Liverpool don't want to sell to Chelsea, and the only way a deal would go through is if Michael Essien went in the other direction. Exactly, NO DEAL.

I like the way they don't put anything in caps after the first one, which is probably the maddest. If anyone thinks we're going to get Ramos AND 12mil for Xabi they may aswell go outside now and wait for Elvis to pick them up in his UFO.

I like the way they don't put anything in caps after the first one, which is probably the maddest. If anyone thinks we're going to get Ramos AND 12mil for Xabi they may aswell go outside now and wait for Elvis to pick them up in his UFO.

What I was thinking lets be honest Alonso isn't the best midfielder in Europe and Ramos easily is the best right back.

For us to sign him with 12million to spend......

Say no more

What I was thinking lets be honest Alonso isn't the best midfielder in Europe and Ramos easily is the best right back.

For us to sign him with 12million to spend......

Say no more

How often do you watch Ramos play? Maicon is twice the player he is. Hell, even Arbeloa is better defensively than him.

Rafael Benitez keen to sign David Wheater - Telegraph

Rafael Benitez keen to sign David Wheater

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez is hoping to revive his interest in Middlesbrough defender David Wheater after the Riverside club were relegated from the Premier League.

By Rory Smith and Rob Stewart

Last Updated: 11:42PM BST 26 May 2009

Benitez tried to sign the England under-21 international last summer and enquired about his availability in January but his Middlesbrough counterpart Gareth Southgate was unwilling to part with one of the key players in his side’s battle for survival.

Now, though, Southgate knows he needs to trim his squad to cope with the financial impact of demotion and, with Stewart Downing injured, Wheater is one of his most saleable assets.

The only sticking point for Liverpool would be the defender’s asking price. Birmingham were last week quoted £9 million for the player, a fee Benitez would be unwilling to pay for a back-up central defender with funds at Anfield at a premium.

Sources close to full-back Andrea Dossena have insisted the Italian international is happy at Anfield despite struggling to make impact following his £7 million move from Udinese last summer. Reports in Italy suggest Dossena is a target for Napoli and Sampdoria but he is believed to be willing to remain in England to fight for his place.

Liverpool Daily Post.co.uk - Liverpool FC - Liverpool FC News - Liverpool FC latest: Ryan Babel told he can leave Anfield

RYAN BABEL could become the first high-profile casualty of Rafael Benitez’s summer shake-up after being told he can leave Liverpool.

Babel’s agent Winnie Haatrecht met with the Anfield manager to discuss the player having a more prominent first-team role next season.

Benitez, though, was unable to offer such guarantees and has informed the Holland international he may now speak to other clubs during the transfer window.

That is likely to spark a chase for Babel, who became the third-most expensive player in Liverpool’s history when arriving for £11.5million from Ajax in July 2007.

Liverpool will want to recoup of much as that fee as possible, with Babel likely to command a price tag of around £8m.

Ajax, who yesterday appointed Martin Jol as new coach to succeed Marco van Basten, are thought eager to re-sign Babel but could be put off by the asking price and the player’s wages.

Babel is also certain to attract interest from Italy and Spain, with Benitez open to the possibility of using the 22-year-old as a makeweight to facilitate a possible big-money transfer.

Tottenham Hotspur, Aston Villa and Arsenal have all been linked with a summer move for Babel and could make any interest formal.

Babel has scored 14 goals in 91 appearances for Liverpool. However, only 42 have been in a starting role – a mere six coming this calendar year – with the Dutchman having completed the full 90 minutes on just 15 occasions.

With Benitez needing to generate funds to supplement his existing transfer budget, the Spaniard is keen to swiftly move on those players who no longer form part of his plans.

“We have some targets but right now it is too soon because some clubs do not know what the future holds for them but we will wait and see,” said the Liverpool manager.

“But our idea is to have players signed before pre-season begins because this would be perfect.

“It means you can start working with them and training with them with the ideas that you want to get across to them so that they can start putting them into practice on the pitch.”

Benitez also wants to solve the work permit problem for Argentine winger Sebastian Leto, who has spent the last season on loan to Greek club Olympiacos.

“We will try to work something out, I do not want him to go,” said the Liverpool manager.

The reasons for refusing the permit were his lack of international and club experience.

Benitez was critical of that decision, but is likely to sell Leto if the permit is refused once again.

BBC SPORT | Football | Gossip | Wednesday's gossip column

Manchester United chief executive David Gill says the club are ready to pay the £25.5m required to secure the future of forward Carlos Tevez. (Various)

AC Milan boss Carlo Ancelotti says he could become Chelsea manager as early as next week if the Italian club do not want to keep him. He has also told Blues owner Roman Abramovich that he wants to sign two midfielders - Bayern Munich's Franck Ribery and Xabi Alonso of Liverpool (Daily Mail).