You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xabi a Red ‘for years to come’

Crazyhorse7778

Xabi Alonso has committed himself to Liverpool after a turbulent summer and the Spaniard feels The Reds have never had a better chance of winning the Premier League title.

The European champion was strongly linked Juventus and Arsenal in the summer, having seemingly been deemed surplus to requirements as Rafa Benitez went in pursuit of Gareth Barry.

Barry proved elusive and as such Alonso remained on Merseyside – much to the relief of the Anfield faithful.

Alonso is a firm favourite of the Liverpool faithful and he is looking forward to pushing for the title.

“At some stage my future was not clear, I was wondering what was going to happen because there were propositions, but I prefer to move on,” he told Setanta Sports.

“Of course the fans’ backing was a massive boost because they let me know they wanted me to stay.”

When asked about his future, he added: “Of course I can see myself here for more years to come.

“I have a lot of very good examples to follow – I am very close friends with Sami Hyypia, he is a foreigner having a great career at Liverpool, and Didi Hamann became important as a Liverpool player as well.”

While The Reds welcome The Hammers on Monday night, live on Setanta Sports, Alonso has hailed his team’s consistency, and backed them to win the Premier League trophy this term.

“The team is in a good shape, is being consistent, which is what we wanted,” Alonso said: “But we have a lot of things to do still.”

When asked if this is the best chance for Liverpool to win the title during his time at the club, Alonso said: “Yes absolutely.

“We have never been closer to the top at this stage of the season, this is probably the best Premier League start I’ve ever had at Liverpool, but you have to be conscious and think about West Ham.”

Prem: Alonso Setanta exclusive on future and West Ham | Setanta

------------------------------------------------------------

Brilliant news, lets hope Rafa feels the same way.

He seems a bit ambiguous in that statement. First he says he would "prefer to move on", then he can "see [himself] here for more years to come". Hedging his bets I would say.

l think he means "prefer to move on" as in, forgeting about and moving on with his career at Liverpool.

He seems a bit ambiguous in that statement. First he says he would "prefer to move on", then he can "see [himself] here for more years to come". Hedging his bets I would say.
He's saying he's put what happened in the past, the Juventus thing, behind him. Although some of our tabloid hacks might not see it that way.