You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mark Lawrenson Fuck off

kopitegaz

Purely economics and getting an injection of cash into the local economy ASAP.

The economics don't work out of the club. Everton would get a slice of OUR advertisements generated from the grounds.

The grounds wouldn't be an asset of Liverpool FC... We cannot go deeper into debt over something that is not solely an asset of Liverpool FC.

We would own equity in a ground, that we could never leverage or sell, without the permission of Everton. Would they give it? Would they fuck.

The only club who would do better than if they had their own ground is Everton. They can fuck right off.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The economics don't work out of the club. Everton would get a slice of OUR advertisements generated from the grounds.

The grounds wouldn't be an asset of Liverpool FC... We cannot go deeper into debt over something that is not solely an asset of Liverpool FC.

We would own equity in a ground, that we could never leverage or sell, without the permission of Everton. Would they give it? Would they fuck.

The only club who would do better than if they had their own ground is Everton. They can fuck right off.

By the economics I mean a) every year that we don't have the increased capacity is at least 15m down the drain b) the cost of the stadium appreciates c) it's easier to get financing when you are guaranteeing against two revenue streams rather than 1.

BTW I thought under the ground share deal the stadium would actually be owned by someone else. Some local authority or other and we would just be leasing from them?

Anyway from a purely economic perspective I'd rather a 15m revenue stream that a 300m asset which is basically unsaleable.

Still, this argument obviously has very little to do with economics :)

By the economics I mean a) every year that we don't have the increased capacity is at least 15m down the drain b) the cost of the stadium appreciates c) it's easier to get financing when you are guaranteeing against two revenue streams rather than 1.

BTW I thought under the ground share deal the stadium would actually be owned by someone else. Some local authority or other and we would just be leasing from them?

Anyway from a purely economic perspective I'd rather a 15m revenue stream that a 300m asset which is basically unsaleable.

Still, this argument obviously has very little to do with economics :)

If we have no ownership of the grounds at all... that's even worse.

You are probably right as well about the authority owning it.

• 1 month later...

Well, he actually said it might be his last contract.

I usually watch Football Focus and have no problem with it, I rarely watch Soccer Saturday but watched a little today and I have to say how amusing it is that people get so wound up by these pundits.

Well, he actually said it might be his last contract.

I usually watch Football Focus and have no problem with it, I rarely watch Soccer Saturday but watched a little today and I have to say how amusing it is that people get so wound up by these pundits.

I have to agree. I also think it does us a favour as fans as anyone who says that you have to have played the game at the top level to understand it can just be referred to any number of football comment shows to confirm that such comments are utter bolox.

Nicholas, Merson, Lawernson, etc, don't anny me anymore because when i see them I actually fell better and thankful that I'm me and not them. I actually feel like a better person after listening to them whitter on.

• 2 weeks later...

Was at a dinner with Mark Lawrenson this week and he was very critical on some of Rafa's recent decision making (as have most fans recently).

Some 'fan', then obviously asked him if he didn't rate Rafa. Lawrenson, said he backs Benitez and he doesn't see many people who could do a better job under the circumstances, but certainly some could do a lot worse.

He's disappointed, as our many fans, that it appears United are again going to win the league (he said it was over, this season - which I disagree with). But there is a difference between disappointment and suddenly not rating a manager or appreciating what a good job he's done since he's arrived.

The big picture is we've come a long way. Sure we want to win the league but it was always going to be tough this season. United / Chelsea were clear favourites from the start and they are now.

But let's not be rash and get rid of the best manager we've had since Kenny, even if he does make some odd decisions.

Was at a dinner with Mark Lawrenson this week and he was very critical on some of Rafa's recent decision making (as have most fans recently).

Some 'fan', then obviously asked him if he didn't rate Rafa. Lawrenson, said he backs Benitez and he doesn't see many people who could do a better job under the circumstances, but certainly some could do a lot worse.

He's disappointed, as our many fans, that it appears United are again going to win the league (he said it was over, this season - which I disagree with). But there is a difference between disappointment and suddenly not rating a manager or appreciating what a good job he's done since he's arrived.

The big picture is we've come a long way. Sure we want to win the league but it was always going to be tough this season. United / Chelsea were clear favourites from the start and they are now.

But let's not be rash and get rid of the best manager we've had since Kenny, even if he does make some odd decisions.

Without wanting to start an argument, I think some people, such as yourself, are starting to back-track a little bit.

When we were top, six points ahead of the Mancs etc, we were told to pipe down and 'believe', yet now we're being told that it was never expected of us anyway?

What you say there, in bold, is correct but at the end of December that was certainly not the case. The only reason we are now third favourites is because we have thrown away our best chance in years.

There's obviously a problem with expectations and how they change over the course of a season or even over a matter of games.

Would I have been happy with our position at the start of the season? Certainly.

Am I disappointed that we've let slip the advantage we had and think we should be doing better? Yes.

Without wanting to start an argument, I think some people, such as yourself, are starting to back-track a little bit.

When we were top, six points ahead of the Mancs etc, we were told to pipe down and 'believe', yet now we're being told that it was never expected of us anyway?

What you say there, in bold, is correct but at the end of December that was certainly not the case. The only reason we are now third favourites is because we have thrown away our best chance in years.

110% correct, it will be interesting to see at the end of the season the stance by all those who shouted down all the ones who could see what was coming a mile off.

To be honest Ian the Mancs and Chelsea had shorter odds than us even when we were top of the league. I thought it a bit daft at the time given that we were playing some decent stuff, but it would appear that the bookies were correct given how we've dropped so many points in the last two months.

There's obviously a problem with expectations and how they change over the course of a season or even over a matter of games.

Would I have been happy with our position at the start of the season? Certainly.

Am I disappointed that we've let slip the advantage we had and think we should be doing better? Yes.

Spot on that Karl. I wanted us to challenge at the start of the season and the position we are in, that's still possible. What's disappointed so many of us is that we made a much better start than we expected whilst our rivals looked labored and off the pace, and we now seem to have thrown that position away with stupid points dropped against average teams. This is where the recent anger stems from, and the fact that after 5 years Rafa still has many of the same faults.

I think we've been third favourites all along.

My expectations haven't changed I want to see a challenge this season and currently we're challenging, although this seems to be fading.

I am not happy with lots of things at the moment:

Benitez - Silly mistakes

Parry - Joke

Owners - Pair of jokers

Our fans - More critics than supporters

Keane saga

Form of some of our players - Mascherano and Torres for example.

Benitez is taking a hell of a lot of shit at the moment. But I don't think he's totally to blame in our recent slide. But he's getting all the shit.