You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dossena is a red

Mikey Boy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is tedious as it's probably on that other mega thread. However, can someone who genuinely knows the lad's game describe what he's like please?

6 ft tall attacking full back.

Last year he scored 2 goals, 3 assists, 22 shots at goal with 8 on target.

6 yellow and 2 red cards, and conceded 64 fouls

A talented ball-playing thug by all accounts.

6 ft tall attacking full back.

Last year he scored 2 goals, 3 assists, 22 shots at goal with 8 on target.

6 yellow and 2 red cards, and conceded 64 fouls

A talented ball-playing thug by all accounts.

Nice one.

1. The Italian League doesn't have defenders on the cosh all game, it is slow and much of the play is down the centre not the wing so full backs won't be under as much pressure as they are here.

2. He didn't make it into the Italian squad despite being the "best left back in Italy".

I am not expecting him to be any better than Arbeloa to be honest. I expectt a half decent player who will do his job and have some great games, nothing special. If he ends up being world class then that's a great bonus.

He didn't cost more than £10m and doesn't have a "Q" or "Z" in his name.

Therefore he will be sh*t.

Rubbish. Patrice Evra cost £7m and I wanted us to buy him for years but you wouldn't remember that Col. Plus I didn't say shit, I said I am expecting him to be half decent like Arbeloa but nothing more. If he turns out better than fantastic.

Be absolutely honest, you have no comprehensive knowledge of Dossena.

No I don't not at all, seen him maybe twice without looking out for him and didn't notice him in the game I saw. He could be a world superstar but I am saying like Brownie was a few days ago, I am not EXPECTING him to be a world beater. If he is then it's a bonus. I am expecting a decent player like an Arbeloa.

Deciding if a player is any good because they did not make the squad for the Euro 2008 is a load of bollocks.

Like its been posted one of the greatest defenders we have ever had in Alan Hansen struggled to get a game for Scotland.

People who really know Dossena and have actually seen him play have said that this season he has been the best left back in Seria A but the national manager has decided to go for Grosso whilst Zambrotta and Chiellini can also play in that position.

Dossena had a bit of a loss of form towards the end of the season and that is what cost him his place in Italy squad.

Deciding if a player is any good because they did not make the squad for the Euro 2008 is a load of bollocks.

Like its been posted one of the greatest defenders we have ever had in Alan Hansen struggled to get a game for Scotland.

People who really know Dossena and have actually seen him play have said that this season he has been the best left back in Seria A but the national manager has decided to go for Grosso whilst Zambrotta and Chiellini can also play in that position.

Dossena had a bit of a loss of form towards the end of the season and that is what cost him his place in Italy squad.

I haven't decided he is shit, I am not expecting a white Patrice Evra - that's all. What's wrong with that? Anything more is a bonus.

It was more your statement over the fact he never made the squad for Euro 2008 i was commenting on mate.

I know you have not said he is shit and its a fair way of looking at things by saying you are not expecting much so therefore if hes good its a bonus.

Im actually expecting good things from this lad but that is purely from what i have read about him.

Strong, pacey, likes to attack and has a decent cross on him. He has the attributes to be a success in this league and as long as he has the desire to learn and become a better player under the guidance of Rafa and the other coaches then i can see him and us fans both enjoying his time here.

I can't believe some people actually think Jamie Carragher is any good. He hardly ever played for England, and he bottled it in the end when he had a chance to show how good he was, because he knew how awful he was.

Same with Robbie Fowler. Why do people call him "God"? He was obviously rather shitter than people say, given how often he was overlooked for Shearer and Sheringham.

And why did we sell David James? Look how many international caps he has compared to Pepe "2nd choice" Reina.

Then again, I've still not got over us blowing 3 million on Sami Hyypia, whoever the fuck he is. I know I hadn't heard of him when we signed him, and I've no intention of looking into it now. Don't talk to me about Skrtel.

Simple though really isn't? Both Robbie and Jamie had better players (arguably ahead of them). No matter what we all say Shearer was probably just as good if not a better player and he had a great partnership with Sheringham. You can't argue with managers picking him.

Robbie and Jamie also managed get into squads though didn't they, Dossena hasn't despite being the "best left back in Italy". It's easy being pedantic - the same shite could have been posted about Voronin last summer.

Let's wait and see. If he is the next Cafu it's a bonus, if he is the next Arbeloa then I am happy as it will mean he is decent. I expect more of the latter, nowt wrong with that.

Be absolutely honest, you have no comprehensive knowledge of Dossena.

I have zero knowledge of both Deggen and Dossena however I am willing to give them a chance (this is not a criticism of you Dave).

Voronin apart, and really he is 4th choice striker who in fairness showed a bit of promise at the start of last season, Rafa's signings have been pretty spot-on. You can only include Josemi and Morientes as abject failures in my opinion, one because he wasn't prepared to learn the language and the other, well I thought he was going to be top class after his time at Real Madrid. The majority of his "recent" signings (Agger, Skrtel, Mascherano, Torres and Babel) have either been absolute barnstormers or in the case of the latter shown immense promise. In my opinion of course.