You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rag and Bone Men

windass

We get them about twice a bloody week. They're our Irish travelling friends. They shout "Scrap IIIIIIIIIIIIron!" (I think). They knocked on the door once and asked if I had any scrap metal. I said "Yeah, you can take that car" (the scrappies wanted 60 quid to pick it up). The bloke looked like all his Christmases had come at once. Fucking Pikey pov twat.

A young lad seems to have taken up the reins around ours, comes round once a month, I got rid of shit loads.

I remember as a lad, there used to be one who came round me Nan's on a Monday, followed by the Coal Man on Tuesday, The Video Man on Wednesday and the Candy Floss man on Thursday. Then Jay the Schofield's Lemo Man on Friday.

Used to have them in Speke back in the 80s and early 90s.

their yells were strangely hypnotic early in the morninng.

"yeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrny old'in', oh-yin, oh-yin. yeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrny old'in, oh-yin, oh-yin.'

Don't know what the oh-yin was, but that's what they shouted.

A young lad seems to have taken up the reins around ours, comes round once a month, I got rid of shit loads.

I remember as a lad, there used to be one who came round me Nan's on a Monday, followed by the Coal Man on Tuesday, The Video Man on Wednesday and the Candy Floss man on Thursday. Then Jay the Schofield's Lemo Man on Friday.

That sounds like the Ford Estate. They used to have loads of mobile shops for everything imaginable. They even had a mobile chippy. I suppose it was the councils way of making sure the inmates rarely had an excuse to venture off the estate.

I often wondered how many of the videos were ever returned to the video "moey".

That sounds like the Ford Estate. They used to have loads of mobile shops for everything imaginable. They even had a mobile chippy. I suppose it was the councils way of making sure the inmates rarely had an excuse to venture off the estate.

I often wondered how many of the videos were ever returned to the video "moey".

Ford Estate in Litherland or Ford Estate over the your way?

Ford Estate in Litherland or Ford Estate over the your way?

Our one. It's not called the Ford anymore. I can't remember the new name, "Lovely Green Fields and Rolling Hills Village" or something equally misleading and twattish. Does anyone know what the Ford is called now?

Do you still see them around? They often appear in my street.I Have never understood what they shouting about! Obviously they want old bikes and fridges etc. :|

When my dad was a kid he gave his father's best suit to one of them in exchange for a balloon. My grandad had to chase around the streets looking for the rag and bone man to get it back.

When my dad was a kid he gave his father's best suit to one of them in exchange for a balloon. My grandad had to chase around the streets looking for the rag and bone man to get it back.

Your grandad? I'm assuming by best suit, you mean suit of armour, or perhaps his roman toga, right? ;)

Our one. It's not called the Ford anymore. I can't remember the new name, "Lovely Green Fields and Rolling Hills Village" or something equally misleading and twattish. Does anyone know what the Ford is called now?

The Beechwood. They're fooling nobody!

Was just going to say that, beat me to it. As someone who lives a 10minute walk away from the estate, i still dont know what relevance "beechwood" is to the place. If it was "burntwood" or "rottenwood", maybe i'd see the link.

As far as i know, its still referred to as the ford by most.

The same happened with Cantril Farm. In order to rid it of the crime zone it was they renamed it Stockbridge Village.

I often think what its like now. What with it being a village full of country bumpkins wishing you good mornin as you make your way to the village shop.