You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I haven't seen him play, but we are crying out for a left back who is primarily a very good defender, but also one who can overlap and provide width down the left flank as Clichy does for Arsenal and Evra does at Man United.

Not convinced that Degen is the answer on the other flank.

I haven't seen him play, but we are crying out for a left back who is primarily a very good defender, but also one who can overlap and provide width down the left flank as Clichy does for Arsenal and Evra does at Man United.

Not convinced that Degen is the answer on the other flank.

I want good full backs, I don't care about attacking ones... we can leave the attacking to the two new attacking midfielders we get...

In a 4-2-3-1 formation the width has to come from the full backs who have the licence to bomb forward with the security of having 2 holding midfielders shielding the back 4.

Yeah whatever mate. This "attacking full back" obsession is laughable. I wonder how United won the league with Irwin and Neville so many times or Arsenal with Winterburn and Dixon.

We need top class attacking players, we need a real threat not support attackers like full backs.

Finally who were the attacking fullbacks at Valencia when Rafa was there? 40 year old Carboni?

Every top team in this league have fullbacks who have the quality to get up and down the wing and attack.

If we don't need our fullbacks to attack we might as well stick Carragher there and develop Agger and Skrtel together. Job done.

Rashid, you haven't stopped moaning about how we didn't sign Evra. Now you're telling us that attacking full backs aren't important? You didn't want Evra for his defensive qualities, so make your mind up.

Evra is often Man United's most advanced player down the left flank. Our full backs never seem to overlap our "wide" players.

the reason full back has become an important attacking position is that there is less and less space on a football pitch due to the increased levels of fitness and athleticism. heard wenger recently say that even in the last two years the distances covered by players has increased considerably.

a fullback with license to get forward becomes an extra man in attacking situations, which in turn gives your winger more options. ideally we'd have at least one top class fullback who could offer a threat in the final third.

Guest ian garro

So, Irwin and Neville play the same type of game as Evra do they ? Thought not. Same as Lahm, who theyre currently trying to sign.

Winterburn and Dixon played the same type of game as Clichy and Sagna did they ? Thought not.

Chelsea have A. Cole and have just bought Bosingwa - tell me, what are the greatest strengths to their game ?

Evra is often Man United's most advanced player down the left flank. Our full backs never seem to overlap our "wide" players.

And there you have the difference in Rafa´s cautious approach and Fergie´s got killem approach to winning the premiership.

We need to be more like we were for the first 6 games of last season when Rafa let his team off the leash

A change of style is required to win the PL IMO and for me thats more important than the players we sign

And there you have the difference in Rafa´s cautious approach and Fergie´s got killem approach to winning the premiership.

We need to be more like we were for the first 6 games of last season when Rafa let his team off the leash

A change of style is required to win the PL IMO and for me thats more important than the players we sign

Or maybe we don't have the players to do that which is why we are looking to get some in this summer?

Just a thought.

100% correct. We should have been a lot closer to challenging with the personnel that we currently have. We are far too negative away from home in the league on occasions and often go out with the approach of not getting beat rather than going all out for victory. That is why we have drawn so many games away from home and only scored 24 away league goals.

Rashid, you haven't stopped moaning about how we didn't sign Evra. Now you're telling us that attacking full backs aren't important? You didn't want Evra for his defensive qualities, so make your mind up.

I am not saying that, of course I want attacking full backs. I think we need to address the actual attacking players first and foremost, we can come to full backs later. It's high time we have attacking players of real intent supporting Gerrard and Torres. e.g. if you add Evra and Sagna to our team this summer, we still won't win the league.

Fair enough Rash. And I have to say I'm in agreement with you when it comes to how we should spend whatever cash we have. Top class players only, and if that means we only get one or two, so be it. We can do the same next summer and hopefully that will be enough.

Fair enough Rash. And I have to say I'm in agreement with you when it comes to how we should spend whatever cash we have. Top class players only, and if that means we only get one or two, so be it. We can do the same next summer and hopefully that will be enough.

We have had four years of "squad building", enough is enough. We need to improve the team, so any money we get even for squad players like Riise should go towards top class players. e.g. First teamers liker Aurelio and Kuyt should be the squad players that replace the Riise and Crouch roles. Only then will be see the differences in the quality that we want and need.