You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Hicks interview tommorrow

Rashid

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
I'd rather the commerical side was built on the back of on field success, as it should be. Once you start marketing everything thing in sight you just lose your identity, which is what I hoped some new owners would give us back, and we end up paying through the nose for it. Not to mention attracting the wrong type of fans.

And who is to say Hicks couldn't do that just as well as DIC?

Keep the focus on a successful team and club and the marleting will take care of itself.

Just as it's always done in the past eh?

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Yeah.

Thats why we are on a par commercially with United, Chelsea and Arsenal?

Oh, hang on a minute....

I'd rather the commerical side was built on the back of on field success, as it should be. Once you start marketing everything thing in sight you just lose your identity, which is what I hoped some new owners would give us back, and we end up paying through the nose for it. Not to mention attracting the wrong type of fans.

And who is to say Hicks couldn't do that just as well as DIC?

Keep the focus on a successful team and club and the marleting will take care of itself.

Marketing will not take care of itself - as Coop pointed out, everywhere you go, you only see Utd merchandise. Have a look in the official website - most of the things are fucking 'out of stock'. Marketing needs to be done at a much larger scale than we are doing now. Any success we have in the field will have to be utilised to the maximum. Something we have failed to do this decade in which we have managed to win everything bar the premiership.

I don't understand what you mean by losing identity.

And who is to say Hicks couldn't expand us commercially just as well as DIC?

That's the problem though - it hasn't been happening that way. We don't need to necessarily be successful on the pitch right away because we have the history and prestige to attract fans anyway.

Obviously, winning the CL this year would be amazing because it would give us a launchpad, but the name of Liverpool is still synonymous throughout the world with success.

We have earnt the right to increase our marketing and merchandising with what we've achieved in the past. Whether we continue to be successful with marketing, will be dictated by success on the pitch.

Thats why we are on a par commercially with United, Chelsea and Arsenal?

Oh, hang on a minute....

We are actually, at least on par. Just way behind on matchday revenue, which is down to the stadium, or lack of, and poor management.

That doesn't mean we have to whore ourselves completetly, which is what some are implying.

Man Utds commercial success was built on the back of their dominance of the league, not some uber marketing vision.

Look at the triumph in 2005 in Istanbul. That game has gone down in history as one the greatest games of all time thanks to our comeback.

The club did next to fuck all to promote this and more or less carried on as they were with a few items coming out celebrating the fact we won the Champions League.

Fuck that they should have been allsorts brought out. Ranging from shirts to fridge magnets. We had a massive opportunity thanks to that vistory and failed to capitalise one it.

I shudder at the thought of it but if Man United win the Champions League this season they will show you how to market it.

We are actually, at least on par. Just way behind on matchday revenue, which is down to the stadium, or lack of, and poor management.

That doesn't mean we have to whore ourselves completetly, which is what some are implying.

Hahaha, gotta love Momo you crazy fox you!

We are MILES behind the Mancs when it comes to merchandising.

Man Utds commercial success was built on the back of their dominance of the league, not some uber marketing vision.

Ours should be built on the back of the fact that we're the most successful English club in history. And also the Treble of 2001 and the CL success of 2005.

We haven't built on this as we should have done, so how you can see it as 'whoring' is ridiculous.

Then again, that's just you eh mate?

We were on par with Man Uinted commericially until the start of the Premiership we then sat about dithering whilst they attacked the marketing side of the club and this allowed them to help fund a team which yes has enjoyed dominance.

We are on a par with Utd in terms of commercial revenue? Do me a favour!

We whore ourselves completely? If you didn't notice, we started to whore ourselves 5 fucking years ago. The first one who tried to fuck us was a gentleman called Sinawatra.

Anyway, making the merchandise available easily to buy by Liverpool fans in asia is whoring ourselves? If it is, I hope we whore ourselves 24/7 and 365 days a year.

We are on a par with Utd in terms of commercial revenue? Do me a favour!

We whore ourselves completely? If you didn't notice, we started to whore ourselves 5 fucking years ago. The first one who tried to fuck us was a gentleman called Sinawatra.

Anyway, making the merchandise available easily to buy by Liverpool fans in asia is whoring ourselves? If it is, I hope we whore ourselves 24/7 and 365 days a year.

Exactly. I bet McDonalds and Coca-Cola are gutted that they 'whored' themselves all over the world.

They can get over it by going for a swim in their pools of money, Duck Tales style...

'Duck Tales, awoooooohoooo...'

Because they have a succesful team. You can only sell so many shirts on the back of a third or fouth place finish. It's a fickle sport.

You're digging a bit of a hole for yourself here mate. We finished fifth in 2005, but how do you think we should have been marketed? As the team that finished fifth in the Premiership or as European Champions after the greatest cup final of all time?

You're digging a bit of a hole for yourself here mate. We finished fifth in 2005, but how do you think we should have been marketed? As the team that finished fifth in the Premiership or as European Champions after the greatest cup final of all time?

The marketing was shite after 2005, but we still made a lot more money, which proves that commercial and on field success go hand in hand.

And is a one-off CL win really enough to put us back among the commercial elite? Especially when the team regresses domestically?

So we don't really need DIC and rich owners, we just need experts in marketing and commerical branding to take over? Who is to say that's not Hicks?

Yes, we can improve that side of things, and sell more mugs in Asia, etc, but if that becomes the focus and not the team, then it's just a slippery slope down.

Guest Deadbeat

i would just like to add, new for the day, that i think hicks is the biggest cunt since cunt bread. enlightening as ever, i know.

The marketing was shite after 2005, but we still made a lot more money, which proves that commercial and on field success go hand in hand.

So we don't really need DIC and rich owners, we just need experts in marketing and commerical branding to take over? Who is to say that's not Hicks?

Yes, we can improve that side of things, and sell more mugs in Asia, etc, but if that becomes the focus and not the team, then it's just a slippery slope down.

We need the new stadium, and to get that we need capital so that's where they come in. Marketing and merchandising also costs money for the initial outlay, so again that's where they come in.

If we didn't need any of this, then why did Moores sell the club?

Because they have a succesful team. You can only sell so many shirts on the back of a third or fouth place finish. It's a fickle sport.

They don't have a successful team just by luck. They have a successful team because they have had continuity and stability. They had a huge luck of seeing too many players coming through the ranks at the same time, but as soon as they started winning, they planned ahead.

They expanded the stadium, marketed their merchandise globally, teamed up with Nike etc. Now, they are reaping rewards for it.

While they go out and sign Ferdinand for £27m, we struggle to sign Skrtel for £6.5m and breaking our transfer record for a defender in the process. While they sign two kids for £40m, Rafa had to fight tooth and nail to sign Mascherano, an established Argentinian international.

To think they spend so much money just because they have a bigger stadium than us is just naive mate.

And who is to say Hicks couldn't expand us commercially just as well as DIC?

The problem is it doesn't take care of itself.

Just before the final, I remember reading an article that predicted the winners of champions league in 2005 will make around £50m with majority of the money coming from fans all over the world buying the winners merchandise.

What did we make that year? £30m? Thats the difference.

They don't have a successful team just by luck. They have a successful team because they have had continuity and stability. They had a huge luck of seeing too many players coming through the ranks at the same time, but as soon as they started winning, they planned ahead.

Which has nothing to do with their commercial superiority. Ferguson built a succesful team, which allowed them to dominate and expand their stadium and brand, etc. All at a time when big money was being pumped into the game, which they took advantage of.

Right time right place, as they say. It had nothing to do with any long term marketing vision, just good managment.

Whatever, I'm not saying we don't need to improve in that regard, but that on field success should always be focus and the spring board for any jump in commercial success.