You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool vs Derby County

m0e

What about the fact that "Where a million miles away"from winning the title.

People who think where a player "here and there" away from winning the league need to have a good look at themselves.

We will struggle to finish top 4. Get rid now.

Ha. I'm looking forward to this match report, Al.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did, you wouldn't believe the videos that I have, I have loads! The one thing those teams did though was keep the ball, especially in the opposiiton half and I rarely saw Hansen hoof it to Rush.

I think you mean "I have".

And if you have, you'll know exactly what I mean unless you're saying you won't win anything if you don't play a paticular brand of football?

To be fair Weeksie, I haven't said that the way we performed poorly definitely was due to Rafa not motivating the players, that was just a response to a question about it. I don't know why we were so poor in the second half, that's what the debate was about in this thread. I wanted to bounce ideas of others and see what they thought. I was a bit frustrated though that as we were struggling, the camera panned to Rafa who was asking players to remain compact - the reasons for that I don't know, only Rafa explaining his footballing philosophy to me could do that!

The reason I thought it may have been due to tactics was the fact that we literally stopped playing as soon as the whistle went for the second half. In the first half, after the goal we continued to dominate and created a few more good chances. I may be wrong, fuck knows I have been plenty of times before, but that's just the impression I got.

EDIT - And yes you're spot on about Rafa not being one to rant and rave very often. It think it's a good approach at times though, when players seem especially complacent.

I can do that for you Ian, for I am a football genius. We were playing too many long balls and giving away possession. By keeping the team compact means we could get playing shorter passes and the team moving forward together.

It's a bit different on the internet though, to how it is when you're at the game or even watching it in the boozer with mates.

I think you get that togetherness by being there, or actually being physically surrounded by fellow Reds.

Yes, absolutely agree; that's a fair way of bringing in my point.

Sometimes you don't feel that here, when I for one want that security and partisan bubble away from the bitterness, cock-eyed scribings and criticism of our Club, sometimes you very much do.

I think you mean "I have".

And if you have, you'll know exactly what I mean unless you're saying you won't win anything if you don'y play a paticular brand of football?

I don't think we will win the league unless we have a certain mentality throughout the season. I don't think Rafa has that mentality, either that or he doesn't trust the team yet.

I can do that for you Ian, for I am a football genius. We were playing too many long balls and giving away possession. By keeping the team compact means we could get playing shorter passes and the team moving forward together.

That's a very good point mate, and one I never thought about. The only issue I had with that comment was that mainly when Rafa uses that term, he's describing how well we've done defensively.

You make a good point there though mate.

Does anybody else agree that the apparent want to twat the ball high and long that's crept into our game recently is a direct result us missing Dagger?

I have to say Carra seems to be particularly guilty recently.

He has been doing it all his career Drewy - he was even worse as a full back. Twatting the ball forward does my head in to be honest.

Does anybody else agree that the apparent want to twat the ball high and long that's crept into our game recently is a direct result us missing Dagger?

I have to say Carra seems to be particularly guilty recently.

And Finnan, as that has meant Riise playing at the back. Add that to Alonso being missing and not being there to take the ball from the back four, and it's a damn good point.

I agree that we're playing too many long balls from the back at the moment. We are a far better team when we play it on the deck. We were even hoofing it against the Mancs, but everytime we get it down and start knocking it about we look far more dangerous and effective.

We were shite for the last 15 minutes of the first half and first 25 of the second half, but thats not the first time this season. We struggle to keep possession, and the main reason for this I think is too many players take too many touches to get the ball under control or misplace the pass. You would think being able to pass to a teammate would be a prerequisite for a premiership footballer, butr sadly under pressure too many of our players cannot keep/pass the ball, we lose possession and invite more pressure. At 1-1, we gambled and pressed forward, today it came off, but it could easily have gone the other way if Barnes hadn't headed over from 6 yards. Having said that, at the weekend ManU scraped a winner in the last few minutes, Arsenal should have lost to Spurs but for Robbie Keane, and Chelsea were lucky. You can't always play well and thrash the opposition, but with players that can keep the ball your chances of winning are increased.

I saw a number of complaints about Rafa's tactics- perhaps because today he didn't rest Gerrard / Torres? I'm sure Rafa wouldn't send out his players with instructions to score one and then sit back against the bottom team in the league. I think the players carry the can for this, maybe because they got a bit complacent. Anyway, just glad we got the 3 points, Arse and Chelsea dropped points, we have a better team than we have had for years so I continue to live in hope. Another Champions league final will keep me happy.

What about the fact that "Where a million miles away"from winning the title.

People who think where a player "here and there" away from winning the league need to have a good look at themselves.

We will struggle to finish top 4. Get rid now.

Wanna put your money where you mout...er... finger is? I say we WILL finish in the top 4 (comfortably at that).