You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anyone else sick of the England moaning?

Rashid

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7094812.stm

Now Gerrard is in on it... I am all for young players given a chance and home grown players getting in quotas is just fucked up and clutching at straws.

The day the English coaches start concentrating on playing football and not how big and athletic a player is, is the day England starts to compete.

The current team is much lauded as the best bunch ever so why are they so shit collectively?

Re: The current team is much lauded as the best bunch ever so why are they so shit collectively?

Cos the manager is shit!

The manager is shit, so Enger-land don't qualify so everyone gets on the quota bandwagon when it wouldn't exist if the manager wasn't SHIT!

PS Did I say the manager was SHIT!!!:wallbutt:

I don't see it as a bad thing personally...but i guess i'm in the minority. Why shouldn't every club have a percentage of home grown players in their team?

Why should they? All clubs want the best players they can get. If the English kids arent good enough or are too expensive, you should take them on instead of foreign players anyway??

As a football fan, It doesnt matter to me where they are from.

Stevies going a bit nuts there saying foriegners will take over. It's not an invasion. If english lads are good enough, they'll play. You should be more worried about the standard of coaching in this country and lack of discipline young lads have now to make it.

Stevies going a bit nuts there saying foriegners will take over. It's not an invasion. If english lads are good enough, they'll play. You should be more worried about the standard of coaching in this country and lack of discipline young lads have now to make it.

Can't find it right now but I read somewhere today that the minimum age for player registration in Europe is 18, except England , where it is 16, hence the English clubs sucking up the teenage talent ahead of their continental competition.

Not sure if that is true but it would suggest that a 16 year English kid has a lot more competition for a place at an English club than a 16 year old Spanish kid at a Spanish club.

Can't find it right now but I read somewhere today that the minimum age for player registration in Europe is 18, except England , where it is 16, hence the English clubs sucking up the teenage talent ahead of their continental competition.

Not sure if that is true but it would suggest that a 16 year English kid has a lot more competition for a place at an English club than a 16 year old Spanish kid at a Spanish club.

I think that sounds right, yeah. It's why Barca et al keep BOOHOOHOO'ing about Wenger, Ferguson and Benitez nicking all their young stars.

We failed to qualify for the World Cup in 1974 and 1978, failed to qualify for the European Championships in 1972 and 1976 (albeit only 4 teams could qualify then). These failures occurred at a time when there were virtually no foreigners in the English league, despite that English teams won more European trophies than any other country in that period.

If a player is good enough to play regularly in the England team he will play for his club side.