You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lovely curry last night..

Stouffer

• 6 years later...

I had a phall probably about 6 months back. It burnt to even piss the next day.

That's what I'm talking about; fuck knows why but I want to be able to eat one.

A friend of mine is married to a Thai; she made what she called a salad once, it must have been a chilli salad because it nearly killed me.

That's what I'm talking about; fuck knows why but I want to be able to eat one.

A friend of mine is married to a Thai; she made what she called a salad once, it must have been a chilli salad because it nearly killed me.

I'd regularly have a vindaloo but this was mental. It felt like you were pissing chillis.

I can eat hot curries, but I don't usually bother anymore. Vindaloo, Phall; all that game, but it doesn't actually taste that nice, so I don't do often it anymore.

I've had some stinkers though, also done the Curry Hell at the Rupali (Lord Latif of Harpole's place from the Viz), now that was basically pure capsium, disgusting heat and texture, but the half portion went down. I wouldn't do that again mind.

I wen t Uni in Brum so used to go down Soho Road a bit and get some daft heat curries when we were younger, stupider and very pissed.

I had some wasabi in Tokyo once that made my nose piss snot for about 10 minutes.

When the heat overtakes the spices and meat it ruins the taste. The right amount of heat though is a great, but it should be balanced. I like a medium/hot. A king prawn madras, a lamb mustaq or there or thereabouts.

• Upvote 1

I've eaten at the Rupali and my mate finished the curry hell in about 25 seconds. It was the fastest anyone had ever eaten it according tot he staff there. I told him he should go to Guinness book of records as I filmed it.

He was ill as fuck the rest of the night, needed to sit down constantly, didn't know what was going on. He said the next day he farted and a little juice came out, felt like lava.

Hero.

• Upvote 4

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'm pretty immune to the heat of hot curries, but I don't really order them. Actually, I prefer a korma.

When the heat overtakes the spices and meat it ruins the taste. The right amount of heat though is a great, but it should be balanced. 

Exactly. In places like India, even the curries which are meant to be hotter and spicier are designed to ensure that the flavours of the other ingredients are still recognisable and that the curry is still tasty. A lot of westernised hot curries target that male machismo thing where you have to be seen to be attempting to eat the hottest curry imaginable. Whatever flavour there was in the ingredients is killed off by the insane levels of heat. Kormas on the other hand are far too rich and far too mild.

• Upvote 2

I like mild curries, as I enjoy the taste of a curry.

Trumo is spot on. They may as well just serve a bucket of sick with a jar of chilli powder for some of the British mongs who buy hot curries to look dead hard.

The only time I have a slightly hotter curry is if I've got a cold, as I wouldn't taste the meal anyway, and its a good way of sweating it out.

I can eat really hot chillies in most things, but not in curries. Hot hot Thai food is great, the drier or at least thinner the sauce the better, but there is something about the texture of curry sauces that makes me struggle to cope with heat in curries. I  always feel sick and bloated after a hot Indian. Like Stig, a Jalfrezi is normally my limit these days although it depends where you go. I can  manage Madtras in some places but not others. I much prefer to get the heat in my Indian from the starters - I love a fiery lime pickle, then switch to something I can actually digest, eat at a normal speed and savour for my main.