You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Aye. I've just started it and it's as readable as ever. I would've had it finished by now but I was waiting to finish this thing by CJ Sampson about a Nazi-collaborating Britain called Dominion, but it was fucking wank. I ended up fucking it off for this as it was burning a hole in my Kindle.

Another thumbs up for The Wolf in Winter. Probably his best Charlie Parker novel for a while. They have been treading water for a while in terms of the over arcing story(to the extent where I was beginning to wonder if it would ever be resolved) and like a lot of long term series with characters whom you love the outcome of the stories have become a little predictable. This time round the background story finally feels like it is moving on and while not drastically surprising, this book did not quite pan out as I was expecting (I'm thinking Charlie here rather than his friends response).

For those who like fantasy novels I highly recommend The Garden of Stones by Mark T Barnes. An alien world with a history of ancient empires and a failed human invasion from the stars. Very different from the usual pseudo medieval theme used in a lot of novels. Reminds me a little of the Malazan books. No gods however, though a lot of super powered individuals, no 'grunts' and no convoluted story line with a ridiculous amount of points of views. 

I have the same problem with Dominion - pity, I really enjoyed the other Sansom books.

V.I.Warshawski novels by Sara Paretsky: I'm on number nine now and still thoroughly enjoying them. Guess that's a recommendation.

Also just finished Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. It's a decent read with some great ideas; shades of Iain M Banks as it's about a ship AI that is downloaded into a human body and has a Culture like society. Having said that, it was different enough that it felt original.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been planning on getting into the Charlie Parker series for a while (after reading the recommendations on this thread) and have just noticed that the first four books are available as a collection on Kindle for £3.49. That's a superb offer so I've just downloaded them. I look forward to making a start.

I've been planning on getting into the Charlie Parker series for a while (after reading the recommendations on this thread) and have just noticed that the first four books are available as a collection on Kindle for £3.49. That's a superb offer so I've just downloaded them. I look forward to making a start.

Great price that. Lucky bastard starting them fresh. I've got invitations to MyAnonamouse if you want one, pretty much loaded with eBooks, audiobooks and comics to download free.

I'm on the latest Dresden files book which came out Tuesday. Top class, same as the rest.

Great price that. Lucky bastard starting them fresh. I've got invitations to MyAnonamouse if you want one, pretty much loaded with eBooks, audiobooks and comics to download free.

I'm on the latest Dresden files book which came out Tuesday. Top class, same as the rest.

That'd be cool mate, thanks.

I'm currently working my way through the Harry Bosch series, reading 'The Narrows' at the minute. Fantastic series, have loved each and every book.

That'd be cool mate, thanks.

I'm currently working my way through the Harry Bosch series, reading 'The Narrows' at the minute. Fantastic series, have loved each and every book.

Yeah, I love the Bosch series. He's a great writer Connelly.

PM me your email address and I'll send you an invite over.

Right chaps, haven't been reading for ages but going on holiday and need recommendations. Have never been into fantasy and horror but read World War Z and Game of Thrones series about a year ago and enjoyed both. Similar books would be good.

Cheers

Right chaps, haven't been reading for ages but going on holiday and need recommendations. Have never been into fantasy and horror but read World War Z and Game of Thrones series about a year ago and enjoyed both. Similar books would be good.

Cheers

The Passage by Cronin. Great read.

• Upvote 2

Cheers

ye well get a life an stop readin kids books, you should get yeself a gurlfreind

aws - cheers, looked it up and it sounds a bit like World War Z but vampires instead of zombies, good reviews so will give it a shot

Dennis - your mask is slipping. You appear to have quoted your bourgeois, middle class A-level reading list as revolutionary credentials. Please try harder in future as you're in danger of becoming massively tedious

"33 1/3: Donuts by J Dilla" - Jordan Ferguson. This is an absolutely compelling read which tells the tale of the classic album as well as that of its creator. It deals with the twin themes of death and genius brilliantly with equal measures of passion and almost academic criticism.

The bloke is clearly very knowledgeable and yet it doesn't read like it was written by a fanboy, despite the fulsome appreciation for Dilla himself.

If you have any interest in either hip hop, genius or what it means to know your death is imminent, you'll enjoy this book. Brilliant.

That Dracula Cha Cha? The first one (and the novella it was based on, Red Reign) and the Bloody Red Baron were both brilliant. I was less taken with the third one myself. Read Kim Newman's Moriarty: the Hound of the D'urbevilles. It's an awesome anti-Sherlock Holmes in the same style as his AD books, told from the perspective of a Flashman-like Sebastien Moran.

• Upvote 1

That Dracula Cha Cha? The first one (and the novella it was based on, Red Reign) and the Bloody Red Baron were both brilliant. I was less taken with the third one myself. Read Kim Newman's Moriarty: the Hound of the D'urbevilles. It's an awesome anti-Sherlock Holmes in the same style as his AD books, told from the perspective of a Flashman-like Sebastien Moran.

Yeah that's the one. I'm finding it harder to get into than the previous two books but it's still a

good read. I've got The Hound of the D'urbevilles on my to do list.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Numero Veinticinco

The wolf in winter by John Connolly. Superb, devoured this in a day, couldn't put it down once I started. Doesn't focus on the overall story arc as much as the other Parker novels, but hugely enjoyable nonetheless. The book feels a bit like it's setting up the end game and everything is starting to fall into place.

Can I read this as a one off or is it part of a series? You see, when it comes to fiction, especially modern fiction, you fellas are so much more well read than me it's not even funny. It's tragic.

EDIT: Okay, so I see it's part of a series - Charlie Paker, or summat. First four books for £3.49 on Amazon, delivered to the ol' Kindle. Can't go wrong with that, isn't it? Or is it. Seriously, I don't know.

If not, recommend me something to read. Something I can get glued to.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Why haven't you told me yet, fuckers. It's ten to 1 in the morning and I need help, immediately, and you're not here. Do I download this cunting stuff or not. FFS, TLW, this is £3.49 we're talking about here. 6 fucking minutes I've been waiting now.