You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Brighton 2 Liverpool 2 - Match Reaction

tlw content

13 minutes ago, No2 said:

8 seconds in, Taylor clearly points that the penalty is the foul on Diaz.

For me, that just served to confirm what a cheat he is. Stills shows that he already has the whistle to his mouth as the tackle is going on on Diaz. 

Why does he not penalise the first, blatant foul?

He chooses to award thd penalty for the tackle on Diaz, which, watching it again last night, I’m not even convinced is a foul anyway, despite Diaz tumble. (I think we all know the reason). 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DaveT said:

For me, that just served to confirm what a cheat he is. Stills shows that he already has the whistle to his mouth as the tackle is going on on Diaz. 

He chooses to award thd penalty for the tackle on Diaz, which, watching it again last night, I’m not even convinced is a foul anyway, despite Diaz tumble. (I think we all know the reason). 

I must give Taylor some credit here, he's really really good at what he does. The fact what he does is slice us into tiny pieces one cut at a time is very unfortunate. He's the best since Martin Atkinson at killing us with momentum stoppers, he'll be well chuffed with that performance, he will tick all the boxes and know he's screwed us again and no ones noticed. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DaveT said:

Is it that Taylor hopes that the decision to give the penalty for the foul on Diaz gets overturned because it is not a foul, and that the non-penalty for the foul on Szoboszlai is not overturned as it is not a clear and obvious error. 

I couldn't possibly comment. 

44 minutes ago, No2 said:

I must give Taylor some credit here, he's really really good at what he does. The fact what he does is slice us into tiny pieces one cut at a time is very unfortunate. He's the best since Martin Atkinson at killing us with momentum stoppers, he'll be well chuffed with that performance, he will tick all the boxes and know he's screwed us again and no ones noticed. 

He’s actually more devious and wily than I gave him credit for. Crude calculation… ball is in play for an average 65 minutes per game. Brighton had 46%possession. Twenty fouls against us. That’s a foul against us every 90 seconds that Brighton have the ball. Hmmmm.

Watching that Inside Brighton video and when he blew for a pen he pointed to where the tackle on Diaz happened. We can speculate why he did that or didn't give it for the first one, but we'll never know his thought process or what he was up to.

But if it's the case that the pen was given for the second foul, why were PGMOL briefing about how it wasn't a goalscoring opportunity for Dom? They didn't need to even answer that question if the foul was given for the Diaz tackle. Yet they were talking like the pen was for the first one.

I don't have any idea what's happening anymore, but I take back anything that was defending Taylor after seeing that. Very weird.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, dave u said:

Watching that Inside Brighton video and when he blew for a pen he pointed to where the tackle on Diaz happened. We can speculate why he did that or didn't give it for the first one, but we'll never know his thought process or what he was up to.

But if it's the case that the pen was given for the second foul, why were PGMOL briefing about how it wasn't a goalscoring opportunity for Dom? They didn't need to even answer that question if the foul was given for the Diaz tackle. Yet they were talking like the pen was for the first one.

I don't have any idea what's happening anymore, but I take back anything that was defending Taylor after seeing that. Very weird.

Nothing weird about it. Taylor would not have given us a pen if we hadn't accumulated enough for him to absolutely not be able to look away from it. Says it all that he didn’t think the first situation was enough for a pen.

Have been away from the site from a bit, my head is spinning with all the referee stuff. I’m firmly in the corruption camp, and have been for a while. Thought I’d quickly pick up on a point from your discussion on the pod and what you’ve written though, where you say that you’re OK with Taylor reffing the game leniently. I’m very fucking far from OK with it, to quote someone with an axe to grind. It’s somehow snuck in as a habit of the PL refs to completely alter the scales from game to game, one week reffing like an under-12 game, then allowing everything in the Merseyside derby. It makes it almost impossible for managers and players, as well as making it even easier for PL refs with agendas. This has been going on for a long time, long before VAR, but the Jones/Kovacic red cards is just a furthering of the different standards that have been used in the PL for a while now. Doesn’t make it any less irritating of course.

I haven’t brought myself to look at the clips of Webb and Owen in fear of ruining my TV/phone etc.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dave u said:

If they'd followed that part of the process, they probably would have ruled it out for the challenge on Diaz and ignored the one on Dom.

42 minutes ago, lebron said:

Nothing weird about it. Taylor would not have given us a pen if we hadn't accumulated enough for him to absolutely not be able to look away from it. Says it all that he didn’t think the first situation was enough for a pen.

He had the whistle in his mouth to blow for the first but looked like he was playing the advantage to see what Diaz did. Then he gave the foul on Diaz instead of for the first one. I don't think he was going to ignore the pull on Dom though as why have the whistle ready?

16 hours ago, lebron said:

Have been away from the site from a bit, my head is spinning with all the referee stuff. I’m firmly in the corruption camp, and have been for a while. Thought I’d quickly pick up on a point from your discussion on the pod and what you’ve written though, where you say that you’re OK with Taylor reffing the game leniently. I’m very fucking far from OK with it, to quote someone with an axe to grind. It’s somehow snuck in as a habit of the PL refs to completely alter the scales from game to game, one week reffing like an under-12 game, then allowing everything in the Merseyside derby. It makes it almost impossible for managers and players, as well as making it even easier for PL refs with agendas. This has been going on for a long time, long before VAR, but the Jones/Kovacic red cards is just a furthering of the different standards that have been used in the PL for a while now. Doesn’t make it any less irritating of course.

I haven’t brought myself to look at the clips of Webb and Owen in fear of ruining my TV/phone etc.

Don’t be tempted. For some bizarre reason I put it on yesterday and then just immediately became completely demented with impotent rage again. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, dave u said:

He had the whistle in his mouth to blow for the first but looked like he was playing the advantage to see what Diaz did. Then he gave the foul on Diaz instead of for the first one. I don't think he was going to ignore the pull on Dom though as why have the whistle ready?

Fair enough. Have seen lots of refs looking like they were going to whistle only to put it away at a seconds notice though. Fair to say I don't trust any of the refs at this time.

• Upvote 1

Being a bit anal on this stuff, and also retired, I did a bit of a mini-Tompkins. Here's a bit of data.....

This season so far, Anthony Taylor has reff'd 7 games. The average number of fouls he's awarded against all teams not called Liverpool is 9.25. Average number of fouls given against Liverpool (2 matches) is 16.5.  Small sample, of course.

Since the start of last season to date (7 matches), Taylor has awarded an average of 14 fouls per game against us - and 7.1 against our opponents i.e. we commit twice as many fouls as our opponents, despite typical having 60+% possession.

In our games so far this season with other referees, an average of 11 fouls have been given against us per game, and 11.6 against our opponents. This includes 17 given against us by Hooper in the Spurs match, quite a few of which were an utter nonsense, but influence the average.

Across the whole of last season, in Liverpool matches not refereed by Taylor (33), an average of 10.3 fouls were given against Lverpool. An average of 9.4 fouls were given against our opponents on the day. Pretty even, across a whole season.

So, either we suddenly become a much dirtier team when we see that Taylor is refereeing. Or he's a biased cunt.

He does tend to referee us more away from home, and also in bigger games. Doesn't seem to matter much, though  either way - 19 fouls against us at home to Brentford in May, mostly for their players throwing themselves down when someone like Mo was within 5 yards.

And he's also been overturned by VAR  a couple of times...... the one - or was it three? - blatant fouls he managed to miss in the build up to the Haaland goal, disallowed by VAR. A Mane goal at home to Wolves, which he ruled out for a handball by Lallana in the build up. Except he couldn't possibly see it as he was behind Lallana who brought it down cleanly on his chest. Correctly overturned by VAR. There's plenty more anecdotal stuff (THAT Kompany 'tackle') but you get the gist.

Yes, he's a biased, cheating cunt.

• Upvote 7

• dave u unpinned this topic