You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Categories Draft - Nov 21

Bjornebye

@Bjornebye - Question (I've sent you this via PM too)

For the African footballer, does the player need to be actively playing for an African country to qualify, or can they have retired from international football but still be playing club football to qualify as a current African footballer? 

Also, what about African born players who are actively representing European countries at international level?

4 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

For the African footballer, does the player need to be actively playing for an African country to qualify, or can they have retired from international football but still be playing club football to qualify as a current African footballer? 

Also, what about African born players who are actively representing European countries at international level?

My tuppence worth, the top one is absolutely fine, Matip would be eligible but for playing for the reds. The 2nd one is a can of worms nobody wants to open.

2 minutes ago, No2 said:

My tuppence worth, the top one is absolutely fine, Matip would be eligible but for playing for the reds. The 2nd one is a can of worms nobody wants to open.

To be honest, I'd forgotten about the non-Liverpool clause for the African player - Was just working through a list of African players and Matip fits nicely into the back 4 for me, but I can't have him anyway.

Forget my question, @Bjornebye, I'll have a think about who I want now and post my pick soon.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

Current African player surely means they’re currently playing for an African nation. 

2 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Current African player surely means they’re currently playing for an African nation. 

What about African players who have yet to be capped? Do they not count?

I knew I couldn't have Mo or Sadio, and they would have gone already. I was just going through a list of African players when big Joel popped up, but as he's retired from international football, I thought I'd ask the question, however, I had forgotten about the non-Liverpool thing, so it didn't matter anyway.