You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Owners identify Gerrard as Klopp successor

TLW

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

It depends on what stock (if any) you put in the the quality of the Scottish league. Rodgers used it as a good stepping stone and seems to have improved as a manager. Really good achievement from Stevie this year, but Celtic were a shambles from top to bottom. They'd gone badly stale. 

In my opinion, he'd really need to manage somewhere else in the Premier League for a season or two to be even  considered.

I agree to an extent but like lots of things, it's not just black and white.

Yes, we all know the Scottish league isnt the strongest. My view it isnt that much different from the Portugese or Dutch league, maybe some other minor leagues in Europe. Others may think different.

But the test for Stevie or anyone else aiming to be a top manager is in how they can turn a club's fortunes around, go on to build a team and yes, win things.

Rangers had a few managers since they got back into the top flight but never challenged Celtic. He's gone there, maybe turned doubters into believers, got the players on side. He's progressed while he's been there.

People can argue about a 2 club league if they wish. It should be noted, Stevie's got his team seemingly punching above their weight in Europe which seems to be overlooked by some.

Mourinho was in contention to be manager here on the back of managing in a weak league albeit aided with a Champions League win.

His next big test is can he get Rangers through the CL qualifiers next season, while at the same time mounting a defence of their title.

Im sorry to go on about it but people saying they dont want Stevie here for 10+ years is just plain short sighted. No one is saying dump Jurgen to get Stevie in. Or at least Im not aware of anyone.

But, if Jurgen calls time here in 2024 and if Stevie has continued to show progress in his managerial career, then to me, he's a far better shout than some Ive read for Ljinders and simply has to be considered.

If Jurgen extends in 2024, the question doesnt arise until he does call time.

As Verbal said, whoever is the next manager has to be the best. Id also say he has to be the best fit as well. But that's just me!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, m0e said:

Noise 

Doubt he’d be allowed to put that into print if it weren't true. He seems to be trusted by FSG. They went to him to get Klopps agents details to arrange the meet up to bring him here. Doesn’t act like a shill towards them either. 

7 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Doubt he’d be allowed to put that into print if it weren't true. He seems to be trusted by FSG. They went to him to get Klopps agents details to arrange the meet up to bring him here. Doesn’t act like a shill towards them either. 

Mate, whatever makes you happy.

I saw a squad that played attacking football and that took us to Wembley twice.

I saw a style of football that suited our club philosophy.

I saw 2 of our greatest ever players enjoy themselves massively in that time, one of whom he was instrumental in bringing to the club.

I saw our fans united for the first time in years.

Yes it wasn't perfect, and the signings weren't all great. But there was no lasting damage. Far from it.

You see what you want to see, and then validate it however you want to validate it.

Edit - as for the golf story, what an absolute nonsense. Kenny was at every training session. There are pictures of him in every training session.

Plus, its not as if that doesn't leave him with enough time for golf when he wants it. He wasn't a workaholic like Klopp or Guardiola, but neither was Alex Feguson.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

How can you not love Jurgen Klopp? I haven’t been to a game since the late 00s, I never watch us on telly, I don’t even know who we are playing next, but I think Jurgen is ace.

Jurgen is pretty ace, yeah, but I just don’t feel the affinity for him or the game like I used to. 

2 hours ago, aws said:

Kenny steadied the ship which was the most important bit of the job after the last guy was near to sinking it.  

Which is ironic given Kenny’s predecessor was brought in to steady the ship post Rafa.

5 hours ago, Red74 said:

In one of the Simon Hughes books he says that the players lost faith in Kenny quite quickly. Apparently he was on the golf course more than Melwood and left Steve Clarke to take the majority of the training. 

Think the foreign players who weren’t happy that they couldn’t understand his accent and he wasn’t getting through to them what he wanted and all of this got fed upstairs to FSG and they decided to pull the plug. 

There's never been a player that's failed that hasn't blamed it on the manager. Heaven forbid if klopp was to go this summer, they'd be queueing up to blame him. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Fair enough. Out of curiosity, did you feel the same way last season and the season before?

Yeah. I’ve said it on here before. Took almost no joy from the champions league or premier league wins. Tried like.

In fact, I’m more invested this year if anything. Probably due to there being nothing else to do though. Been struggling to care much for ages. Follow it still, just don’t get the highs and lows for it anymore and see a lot of stupidity in the cult of football support. It’s an entertainment for me now, like a film, but with lingering emotion and attachment.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, belarus said:

Yeah. I’ve said it on here before. Took almost no joy from the champions league or premier league wins. Tried like.

In fact, I’m more invested this year if anything. Probably due to there being nothing else to do though. Been struggling to care much for ages. Follow it still, just don’t get the highs and lows for it anymore and see a lot of stupidity in the cult of football support. It’s an entertainment for me now, like a film, but with lingering emotion and attachment.

I’ve had very little interest for a decade or so. I still enjoy watching and reading about fooball from decades gone by, I just can’t be arsed with the contemporary game. I was pleased when we won number 6 and the league but mostly for family, friends and people on here.

• Upvote 1