You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Female Artist - 2nd Round - Donna Summer vs Billie Holiday

Bjornebye

Greatest Female Artist - 2nd Round - Donna Summer vs Billie Holiday  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Female Artist - 2nd Round - Donna Summer vs Billie Holiday

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/12/20 at 18:26

29 minutes ago, Code said:

She’s okay, some of the absolute shite in this tournament though?

I agree there's some shite in the tournament but describing Billie Holiday as 'okay' whilst posting a load of Miley Cyrus videos doesn't exactly make you look like a connoisseur.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Mook said:

I agree there's some shite in the tournament but describing Billie Holiday as 'okay' whilst posting a load of Miley Cyrus videos doesn't exactly make you look like a connoisseur.

I did not have Cyrus on my list.

Earlier I had the opinion about her that she was a product, but after I started to pay a bit more attention, I noticed that she actually have a great voice. 

For some reason I stumbled upon these a few years ago and it opened my eyes.

Im not afraid to change my opinion about things, people should try the approach, its refreshing.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Mook said:

It's an interesting one Tony. I think the democratic way the tournament was made up has been a factor, lots of obscure artists who only three or four posters like have made it into the tournament & other people then aren't interested in the ties.

Speaking for myself, my music collection is pretty male orientated as well. I'm not sure if it's a sexist thing or not but barring Aretha & Joni Mitchell, I don't have an awful lot of albums by female artists or groups. Women had much less of a go at it prior to Punk happening certainly, which is when a lot of 'classic' rock/pop music was made.

Good points regarding more obscure artists and lack of interest.

Personally, I listen to female artists more than I do male artists. I’ve never really considered the reason for this but I think it’s because, in a lot of cases, I find their voices more soothing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Code said:

Earlier I had the opinion about her that she was a product, but after I started to pay a bit more attention, I noticed that she actually have a great voice

Im not afraid to change my opinion about things, people should try the approach, its refreshing

Check.

10 hours ago, Mook said:

It's an interesting one Tony. I think the democratic way the tournament was made up has been a factor, lots of obscure artists who only three or four posters like have made it into the tournament & other people then aren't interested in the ties.

Speaking for myself, my music collection is pretty male orientated as well. I'm not sure if it's a sexist thing or not but barring Aretha & Joni Mitchell, I don't have an awful lot of albums by female artists or groups. Women had much less of a go at it prior to Punk happening certainly, which is when a lot of 'classic' rock/pop music was made.

I also think not allowing females who front bands or who are in duets or all female groups has skewed it a bit. I think,as you say,it took the ladies a while to get their talents out there but having a female contest including all of them as soloists,groups,duets or whatever would probably have been a bit fairer,imo.

7 hours ago, Code said:

Earlier I had the opinion about her that she was a product, but after I started to pay a bit more attention, I noticed that she actually have a great voice. 

Im not afraid to change my opinion about things, people should try the approach, its refreshing.

You keep saying she's a great singer, while posting videos of her sounding shite.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I also think not allowing females who front bands or who are in duets or all female groups has skewed it a bit. I think,as you say,it took the ladies a while to get their talents out there but having a female contest including all of them as soloists,groups,duets or whatever would probably have been a bit fairer,imo.

Yeah I barely listen to any of the artists in this competition to be honest. But I do listen regularly to L7, Bikini Kill, Kenickie - all girl bands, and female-fronted bands like Cocteau Twins, Portishead, Belly, Throwing Muses, The Breeders.

22 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Yeah I barely listen to any of the artists in this competition to be honest. But I do listen regularly to L7, Bikini Kill, Kenickie - all girl bands, and female-fronted bands like Cocteau Twins, Portishead, Belly, Throwing Muses, The Breeders.

That wouldn't have helped me any more as I've only heard of about two of them.