You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

They survived the coronavirus. Then they tested positive again. Why?

In Guangdong, officials responsible for the coronavirus response announced Feb. 25 that 14% of declared recoveries in the province had later retested positive. Although most patients who retest positive do not display clinical symptoms, some have developed fevers and other signs of the virus. 

Such cases account for less than 0.2% of China’s total infections — not enough to cause alarm. But they are raising questions in China about the reliability of diagnostic tests, the possibility of reinfection and whether patients are wrongly designated as “recovered” and released too early from hospitals.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-13/china-japan-korea-coronavirus-reinfection-test-positive

I watched an interview recently with Dr Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (this is the guy on the TV standing next to Trump) and he indicted that you are still carrying the virus for a while after infection and that 14 days isolation is ideal. Which at the time made me think the 7 day stuff we are talking about is not really going to help.

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

Surely it's quite important to know who is most at risk of dying from something?

The point is that everyone is at risk, you moron. Averages just point out who is more susceptible so far, people of all ages are dying though. Just fuck off though. You, Rico Sassas and all the other right leaning bell ends can do one, white collar workers who are just happy to lick arse as long as they get on in life. You only take things seriously when it affects you personally but have a warped opinion on everything regardless of if it goes against the grain. I'll just carry on leaving you to your sorry little posting lives because I have no doubt that in real life you probably have little to say. Wanker. 

10 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

You post loads of unfounded wannabe facts, but you carry on regardless. I hold my hands up if I got the mortality rate by age mixed up with other demographics, but you and your ilk (the right leaning knobs) have a bone to chew, and like the good little dogs you are you'll chew on it for ages until you get bored. 

So I think what we’ve learned here is that it’s ok to dispute facts with incorrect facts. And when that’s pointed out (quite benignly) using facts becomes the tool of the right wing.  

You were wrong, you’ve kind of acknowledged that.  Stop digging.  

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Philtrum said:

They survived the coronavirus. Then they tested positive again. Why?

In Guangdong, officials responsible for the coronavirus response announced Feb. 25 that 14% of declared recoveries in the province had later retested positive. Although most patients who retest positive do not display clinical symptoms, some have developed fevers and other signs of the virus. 

Such cases account for less than 0.2% of China’s total infections — not enough to cause alarm. But they are raising questions in China about the reliability of diagnostic tests, the possibility of reinfection and whether patients are wrongly designated as “recovered” and released too early from hospitals.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-13/china-japan-korea-coronavirus-reinfection-test-positive

Disturbing news if this is indeed the case. Mind you, unless they find a cure (let's be honest, they haven't found a cure for the common cold yet) this will just become part and parcel of life. A wet dream for Governments who want to thin out the population who put a strain on finances. 

3 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

The point is that everyone is at risk, you moron. Averages just point out who is more susceptible so far, people of all ages are dying though. Just fuck off though. You, Rico Sassas and all the other right leaning bell ends can do one, white collar workers who are just happy to lick arse as long as they get on in life. You only take things seriously when it affects you personally but have a warped opinion on everything regardless of if it goes against the grain. I'll just carry on leaving you to your sorry little posting lives because I have no doubt that in real life you probably have little to say. Wanker. 

Jesus.  

3 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I never once said that anyone wasn't at risk. The point you wilfully missed is that certain people are much more at risk, while for other people, the risk is vanishingly small.

But, yeah, you showed the world what a hard man you are again. Well done.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Just an average day on the GF. A "standard deviation", if you will.

Where would we be if drunk ex-squaddies didn't try to lecture people who graduated with a degree in ecology at the age of 20 about science, eh.

• Downvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

So I think what we’ve learned here is that it’s ok to dispute facts with incorrect facts. And when that’s pointed out (quite benignly) using facts becomes the tool of the right wing.  

You were wrong, you’ve kind of acknowledged that.  Stop digging.  

Fuck it, I could pull you apart but I honestly can't be arsed, you'd only claim to put me on ignore. Best I just aid you in that and ignore the banal shite you post in an attempt to seek out confrontation. You really are just a sad individual and wasting time on you is something I should avoid. You'll probably move onto Moof, Jairz or some other poster anyway, so carry on replying if it makes you feel better, the fact you are an utter cunt (a boring one to boot) still remains. Room 101 for you again. 

So many people working hand to mouth are about to become totally fucked.   Our production factory is for shutting for two weeks, every time someone rings in sick due to this. 

Great if you've sick pay left and fancy two weeks off.    Not so great if you're one of the many who'll be sitting with £118 a week to pay your bills and feed your family.    A shortage of bog roll will be the least of people's worries when folks have to resort to crime. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I never once said that anyone wasn't at risk. The point you wilfully missed is that certain people are much more at risk, while for other people, the risk is vanishingly small.

But, yeah, you showed the world what a hard man you are again. Well done.

The concern is the relatively high hospitalization rate, not the death rate. 

Guest Pistonbroke
5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Where would we be if drunk ex-squaddies didn't try to lecture people who graduated with a degree in ecology at the age of 20 about science, eh.

This irony won't be lost on most. drunk ex squaddie? Give your head a wobble lad. Although it totally escapes you that you aren't the only person with a degree. Ah fuck it, arguing against ignorance is a waste of time. 

8 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Fuck it, I could pull you apart but I honestly can't be arsed, you'd only claim to put me on ignore. Best I just aid you in that and ignore the banal shite you post in an attempt to seek out confrontation. You really are just a sad individual and wasting time on you is something I should avoid. You'll probably move onto Moof, Jairz or some other poster anyway, so carry on replying if it makes you feel better, the fact you are an utter cunt (a boring one to boot) still remains. Room 101 for you again. 

Yes mate, you really could. I mean, look at the evidence of you doing it before.  

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The concern is the relatively high hospitalization rate, not the death rate. 

I think the biggest concern is the amount of people who are carrying this virus without knowing. Certain people aren't taking it serious though, especially those in a position to make the right decisions. As you said, the UK government are being damn well arrogant about the whole thing and those who love to suck on the teat will always back their judgement, unless of course they are affected themselves. Society 2020! 

Bit of a long read but here is a translation of Italy's take on the governments strategy which a friend in Italy just shared on FB  (yes i already have self isolation boredom it's only day 2!)

"60 % of the population will have to contract Covid19 to develop herd immunity". Those are the words not a fool. Not a Nazi hierarch. But one of the highest health authorities of Boris Johnson's sovereign government.

Practice is obscene: Darwinian, you let people get infected. The weak die. The strong survive. At the cost of hundreds of thousands of victims, mass immunity from the virus develops.

It's to cringe. Really, cringe. Because the idea that the weak should be sacrificed for the strong, for the "herd", is not just something just repulsive: it is the death of man. It is the backward to an animal state that sees a cannibalism return to the most fragile. And destroying, erases, devours more than two millennia of human cultural and spiritual development.

Let's look at this barbarism, at this monstrosity, and think about one thing: that we are in Italy. Many of those times we have said or heard about how things are better abroad. But excuse us, not this time. Not really. We believe it again this time. Because here, with all our limits, we will never reach such an aberration. Here we get vomit at the idea of sacrificing the most fragile to save us. Here a health advisor with such "ideas" would be kicked out by the executive. And we are proving this even now, right now that you are reading, with hundreds of thousands of people struggling like lions to tear the most fragile among our countrymen from death. Testimonials of enormous solidarity from everyone, doctors and healthcare workers who haven't slept in days. And, yes, the State proves it too, which is not as rich as that of our European cousins. Which is more scaly, less modern. But that despite this would never remotely consider such an aberration. And it's going through four to save everyone. All of them.

Let's think about this then.

We think that, despite everything, we are a great country, a great civilization.

Let's think about it. And let's remember that for a long time. Let's remember that when outside Italy we were thinking about sacrificing the weak to save the strong, here the strong worked 12 hours consecutive shift to save the weak.

And let's go back to being proud of our country for a change.

Leonardo Cecchi

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Yes mate, you really could. I mean, look at the evidence of you doing it before.  

Let me know if you ever have to visit Germany. I'd drive 500km to talk to you face to face. 

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Those are strongly related to each other, of course.

Which is why you have a situation in Italy where they're conducting triage and the death rate is like 7%. I don't know why you'd play that down based on age. Italy's high median age is an issue, but it's also a lack of beds issue and many countries also have that issue, including the UK. 

1 minute ago, Philtrum said:

Is that Leonardo Cecchi the same as this one?

Leonardo Donald Cecchi (born August 26, 1998) is an Italian actor, singer and dancer best known for his titular role of Alex Leoni in Alex & Co.

Presumably I'm overlooking his scientific and medical credentials.

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, A Red said:

giphy.gif

At least you don#t post for reaction most of the time. I have nothing against you, apart from your political leanings. This forum is going to go mental without sport to keep us happy, I think my plan of hitting the streaming sites is a good one. We also have that pandemic game which we are going to play after a long walk with the dog, laughing in the face of irony. No doubt we'll lose again, it's a damn hard game to conquer. 

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I’m in Berlin in October. Make sure you bring your tablets.  

PM me your hotel and we can meet up, serious request by the way.