You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fascinating Liverpool pictures

stringvest

lots of great pictures adding weight to the argument of a certain better way of life as debated in another thread

Sim Street/Page Street - 1954

MPP_LEC_010715_July_065.jpg

6e869ee6-4fb6-4efb-9fb8-2c4ff63e236d-206

‘It’s disgusting and appalling. The housing minister (Peter Walker) came round here and said it wasn’t fit for human habitation, and I’m still here.’ Mrs Chichockjy, Liverpool 8, July 1971.

• Upvote 1

foodbank client Lee Paul poses with his donation of three days food at the Central Liverpool Foodbank

equally unacceptable as above

Absolutely.

I reject Gnash's portrayal of the 50s and 60s as some sort of golden age, mainly because the Tories and their allies are working so hard to take us back there.

Absolutely.

I reject Gnash's portrayal of the 50s and 60s as some sort of golden age, mainly because the Tories and their allies are working so hard to take us back there.

it's not a contest in my eyes, not suggesting you are saying it is either. extreme poverty in any era is a social tragedy. we are supposed to learn from it, to eradicate it. but this has not happened. regardless of all government that has come and gone since. war too

was more thinking about modernity not always equalling a better way of life and aspects of the past are looked on with great fondness as depicted in many of these great images.

The EU have got nothing to do with the new housing in Liverpool has it; isn't that down to housing trusts?

Merseyside has benefited hugely from ERDF funding; without it, we would have been stuck with Thatcherite "managed decline".

But this isn't the thread for that debate: I only mentioned the EU because of the way Gnasher was trying to paint a rosy picture of the pre-EU 50s and 60s over on another thread, as if all human misery in the UK began in 1973.

Can't say the eighties were much better. Peter Marlow captured some great images - including my old local in Tower Hill (think I've posted that one before).

LON23820.jpg

Shiel Road market. 1985.

LON23801.jpg

Scavenging through the rubbish at Bidston Moss. 1985.

LON23802.jpg

The Windmill, Tower Hill. 1985.

https://pro.magnumphotos.com/Package/29YL53UQJT1

• Upvote 2

I've just been searching for that old BBC programme about Lol Cottrall playing for Liverpool on the Esther Ransom show but couldn't find anything. It was filmed around our streets on Kenny and he played in Tommy Smith's testimonial.

Anybody find anything on it?

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/4ddc0495771443e998b42b89abf0b9b1

Look at @EmmsCottrell on Twitter - loads of photos of stills.

Used to live in Tower Hill as a nipper. Grim.

Yep. The estate doesn't look like that now, having benefited from a load of EU money that the Tories certainly wouldn't have spent. Remember my mam coming home when I was little with a load of free EU food mountain surplus that they used to give out at the community centre.

Ironically, Knowsley voted leave. Go figure eh.

Yep. The estate doesn't look like that now, having benefited from a load of EU money that the Tories certainly wouldn't have spent. Remember my mam coming home when I was little with a load of free EU food mountain surplus that they used to give out at the community centre.

Ironically, Knowsley voted leave. Go figure eh.

I don't remember it, I lived there from when I was born in 76 to about 81, pictures from when I was a baby didn't look like it was too bad, maybe I got pit before it went proper downhill.

Can't say the eighties were much better. Peter Marlow captured some great images - including my old local in Tower Hill (think I've posted that one before).

LON23820.jpg

Shiel Road market. 1985.

LON23801.jpg

Scavenging through the rubbish at Bidston Moss. 1985.

LON23802.jpg

The Windmill, Tower Hill. 1985.

https://pro.magnumphotos.com/Package/29YL53UQJT1

Why the fuck are people searching the ducking rubbish?

Ducking wools as well!

I don't remember it, I lived there from when I was born in 76 to about 81, pictures from when I was a baby didn't look like it was too bad, maybe I got pit before it went proper downhill.

Depends how you define bad mate.

TBR_LEC_081015kirkby_01.jpg

Despite looking like a suburb of Soviet era Moscow, these were the shops at the top of Tower Hill back in the late seventies.

• Upvote 1