You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nintendo Switch

Scott_M

Fuck me, so they came up with an awesome concept, have loads of the greatest ever games at their disposal and that's their launch strategy?  What a load of shite.

Got the pre-order, but more as an option than anything, still torn on this (as I know it will be ace eventually, but if they fumble the launch it'll be another busted flush). May come down to the state of the virtual console offering. If there's nothing much at launch I'm out.

Port Mario maker at launch and (along with Zelda) they'd have had me. That's all they had to do...

Nintendo's share price dropped over 5% following the announcement this morning.

It dropped over 6% in October when the Switch was officially announced.

As interesting as the console looks, I'll be giving this a miss.

The only reason I can see for buying this right now would be to sell it for a small profit once retailers inevitably run out of stock on launch, as is normally the case with Nintendo.

Be interesting to see what the likes of Game do once pre-orders are fulfilled. When the same happened with the Wii they used the lack of units as a way to upsell and force people to buy shit bundles

They've always been the same in Game. I remember the year that the Xbox 360 launched I worked there and they had about 50 extra consoles after all preorders were fulfilled so they were selling them as bundles with all the launch day games and extended hardware warranties for a total price of £750. They all pretty much sold out on the same day.

We had one left and a mum came in with her baby and asked if we had any Xbox 360s as she had been looking all day for one for her partner. I told her we had one left for £750 to which she burst out in tears and said she could not possibly afford that. She pleaded to be able to just buy the console and I had to keep telling her this wasn't possible. She kicked off with tears and all sorts saying how mean Game were being so I told the manager of the store to come and explain. Cue more tears but the manager would not budge. Just before she could leave someone came in and asked for an Xbox 360, was told it would cost £750 and they just handed over their credit card.

Poor woman burst into more tears and ran out of the store.

Good old Game.

Might have said in another thread but they seem to have a new pricing policy based on number of units they have in the store.

They put the NES classic up to £150, and a woman was in the store looking for minecraft on XBox but it had gone up in price slightly from last time she was in, she was told it's based on the number of copies available in store though quite how that works during busy periods, if true, is anyones guess.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Nah, cancelled my pre-order. Still wanting something Nintendo to mess about with at some point.  The decision maker was seeing that some online functions are only in the US at launch.

Might keep an eye on the 3DS prices over the next couple of months, lots of good shit on the VC for that and the old N64 Zelda games are on it as well. But either way, I'm just going to wait and see.

Nah, cancelled my pre-order. Still wanting something Nintendo to mess about with at some point. The decision maker was seeing that some online functions are only in the US at launch.

I've just cancelled mine as well. £280 for the console, £60 for Zelda, then there will be an extra controller, a carry case for it, MARIO Kart in April..... over £500.

I move house in February but the more I think about £200 for a PS4 with a or £250 for an Xbox with a game, it's a bit of a piss take.

I'll wait till nearer the end of the year when there are more games and online stuff.

Nah, cancelled my pre-order. Still wanting something Nintendo to mess about with at some point.  The decision maker was seeing that some online functions are only in the US at launch.

Might keep an eye on the 3DS prices over the next couple of months, lots of good shit on the VC for that and the old N64 Zelda games are on it as well. But either way, I'm just going to wait and see.

If you take a look at the gameseek link that I posted, the preorder price is £198.50. Have you looked at that?

http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/Vidww4tgNSwitch/

You can set up a stock alert and if it becomes available again before release they are definitely selling for £198.50.

If you take a look at the gameseek link that I posted, the preorder price is £198.50. Have you looked at that?

http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/Vidww4tgNSwitch/

You can set up a stock alert and if it becomes available again before release they are definitely selling for £198.50.

You had to have pre-ordered before today's announcement - That's how I'm reading the below from Gameseek's Switch page:

Nintendo has at long last revealed the release date and retail price of the highly anticipated Nintendo Switch, and many of you have already emailed, tweeted and messaged us to find out if we'll be honouring our Switch pre-order price.

We've got good news: everybody that ordered a Nintendo Switch at GameSeek will have their pre-order honoured at £198.50, over £80 lower than Nintendo's advertised £279.99 UK retail price.

We'll be bringing you more news on the Nintendo Switch and updating our listing with all the latest information throughout the day, but thought it was important to let our customers know that their pre-orders are in safe hands before cracking on with business. 

Thanks to all that pre-ordered Nintendo Switch through our website, we hope the console lives up to your high expectations when it launches on March 3rd.

The 'free NES & SNES game you get each month when subscribing to online' isn't that. It's a free rental, so if you want to keep playing it after a month, you've got to buy it.

Definitely made the right decision to cancel this so far.

You had to have pre-ordered before today's announcement - That's how I'm reading the below from Gameseek's Switch page:

Nintendo has at long last revealed the release date and retail price of the highly anticipated Nintendo Switch, and many of you have already emailed, tweeted and messaged us to find out if we'll be honouring our Switch pre-order price.

We've got good news: everybody that ordered a Nintendo Switch at GameSeek will have their pre-order honoured at £198.50, over £80 lower than Nintendo's advertised £279.99 UK retail price.

We'll be bringing you more news on the Nintendo Switch and updating our listing with all the latest information throughout the day, but thought it was important to let our customers know that their pre-orders are in safe hands before cracking on with business. 

Thanks to all that pre-ordered Nintendo Switch through our website, we hope the console lives up to your high expectations when it launches on March 3rd.

Looks like some people had a result then. But in all honesty I think it's going to fail badly. It could be their Sega moment where they just stop making hardware and stick to what they are best at - making and then possibly licensing their games for a whole heap of money.

Think is, I think Nintendo would be more profitable just licensing MARIO, Zelda etc to Sony & Microsoft.

I see Mario Run has been downloaded 50 million times for IPhones. How many then went on & paid the £7.99 for it I don't, but know I bet it's still incredibly profitable.

Think is, I think Nintendo would be more profitable just licensing MARIO, Zelda etc to Sony & Microsoft.

I see Mario Run has been downloaded 50 million times for IPhones. How many then went on & paid the £7.99 for it I don't, but know I bet it's still incredibly profitable.

Back when the figure was 40 million downloads analysis suggested that only 8% of people went on to pay for it.

Back when the figure was 40 million downloads analysis suggested that only 8% of people went on to pay for it.

So 3,200,000 payments of £7.99 for a game where you press the button as Mario runs across the screen? £25,568,000 generated from this alone. They would make fortunes from full titles across the major platforms.

I would imagine they see it as a last resort but nice option to have.

I'd have been in like Flynn at £199, tempted at £249, but £279 is just too much considering the lack of titles announced. Really disappointing considering the amalgamation of home console and portable development was supposed to mean a stellar launch line up.

I'll play Zelda on the Wii U and wait to see if Mario Odyssey actually comes out in the Autumn; I've been waiting over two years for a Zelda game that was apparently almost ready, so I'm done assuming they'll hit their own targets on that front.

The online solution sounds awful too - a 30 day rental of a retro game and a smartphone app for voice chat, invites etc that won't even be fully operational at launch. I didn't think Nintendo could fuck this up, but they're trying their best.

No native voice chat and the need to handle that via an app on your smartphone but it looks like the app could have even more control, like most of the online capability could be handled by the app.

Apparently it's also the way you connect online play,  matchmaking and create lobbies.

Another interesting point made elsewhere is that it appears the big third developers appear to have very little faith in the switch based on currently announced titles. EA are allegedly bringing a XBox 360/PS3 port of Fifia, Bethesda are bringing a port of a 6 year old game, Ubisoft are bringing a port of a 4 year old game. And this approach makes it a self fulfilling prophecy.

Third parties want proof that the switch is viable for them, but by offering poorer versions of games that people have already played/owned or not offering the remastered versions of games (mainly, it seems, because of technical limitations) they aren't offering the incentive to gamers to buy the games and If they don't buy the games these companies won't make new ones.

Nintendo gonna Nintendo

I'll get one eventually, when the prices come down. You're at least guaranteed that Nintendo will make quality games for it.

I'm not into online play, and the Switch is made for localised multiplayer so you can actually play against someone sitting next to you.

Doesn't change the fact that it's overpriced for the general market IMO.

I'll get one eventually, when the prices come down. You're at least guaranteed that Nintendo will make quality games for it.

I'm not into online play, and the Switch is made for localised multiplayer so you can actually play against someone sitting next to you.

Doesn't change the fact that it's overpriced for the general market IMO.

I noticed today that Game are offering a half price deal for the Nintendo Switch.

If you trade in a PS4, Xbox One S, Samsung Galaxy S6 or iPhone 6. So each of these are worth £140.

Game Gonna Play.

• 4 weeks later...

Thats my plan, might be some games to play on it then too.

I see they've joined the pay us for a full game we'll sell you less than a full game and the charge you for the rest of it race with Zelda.

You'll need to pay for the DLC to play the game on hard difficulty and to unlock a portion of the map. On the plus side Link does get a nintendo switch tshirt he can wear.