You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cheltenham Festival 2016

Winston Wolf

Shame on the GF. The Olympics of National Hunt racing starts tomorrow.

No Faugheen or Arctic Fire in the Champion Hurdle, the Blue Riband race of day one. Where is your money?

Annie Power, will she win it and be the first Mare to win the big one since Dawn Run? Nichols Canyon, Willie Mullins 3rd string?

Will The New One come good and win it?

Douvan looks the class of the Arkle field and is odds on, Vaniteux looks the only danger in the 2.10.

Belshill looks an e/w bet in the Supreme Novices Hurdle at 1.30.

Any thoughts, info or bets going on?

• Upvote 1

All going well ill have 172000 in my account on Friday....

Seriously though.

I think Annie Power will find it tougher than expected, so I'm backing The New One e/w for the Champion Hurdle.

Not backing Min in the first, too short and hasn't done a whole lot even though it's form has proved sound. Backed Altior e/w at 6/1 a while back.

Douvan will piss the Arkle.

Vroum Vroum Mag should win too but, again I think it will be tough.

I'm on Don Cossack for the GC and an e/w on Don Poli.

I think thistlecrack and Un De Sceaux are winners, so they are in my accy bets.

Few others I've backed e/w at big prices: The young master, theatre guide, cup final, and Willows saviour.

Best of luck everyone, hope we collectively tear the bookies a new one.

• Upvote 1

Shame on the GF. The Olympics of National Hunt racing starts tomorrow.

No Faugheen or Arctic Fire in the Champion Hurdle, the Blue Riband race of day one. Where is your money?

Annie Power, will she win it and be the first Mare to win the big one since Dawn Run? Nichols Canyon, Willie Mullins 3rd string?

Will The New One come good and win it?

Douvan looks the class of the Arkle field and is odds on, Vaniteux looks the only danger in the 2.10.

Belshill looks an e/w bet in the Supreme Novices Hurdle at 1.30.

Any thoughts, info or bets going on?

CH looks wide open. Can pick holes in the form of all of them. AP back at 2m? MTOY off for two years. Nichols Canyon massive flop last time out. IT's form doesn't look much. TNO is actually being steadily nibbled at, this race looks so weak that I reckon it's probably got a decent chance. I think something at a big price e/w is probably the play. Maybe SM?

Douvan bolts up in the Arkle. We're down to 7 runners so no value in an e/w angle.

Anyone looking to back Min should probably wait, it's drifted non stop for about 3/4 days. Was 6/4, now 9/4. Yorkhill definitely going elsewhere? I think so, in which case I've no idea what would beat Min anyway. B D'A they reckon is a chaser in the making. Maybe Supasundae e/w (although I'm on that BetBright £1 at 50/1 offer. Stuck it on Min, so that'll pay for bets for the rest of the day if it wins).

Holywell could be well in for the Handicap Chase at 2:50. Got course form as well. Would still need to rekindle some old form, obviously.

VVM hacks up in the Mares.

Fuck knows about the last two races, but Greatrex was very sweet on Aloomomo (admittedly the fav).

I think Douvan and VVM are bomb proof and are in with Thistlecrack in a treble. Just can't see anything that beats them in their respective races.

More question marks around Min and Annie Power tomorrow. Same with other shorties like Yanworth and UDS later in the week.

Really starting to come round to the idea that Don Cossack wins the GC as well. Cue Card and Vautour won't get home, can't have Djakadam unless it pissed it down from now until Friday (which it won't). Don Poli should be in that 7 mile race they do in the Czech Republic. Smad Place might run into one, nothing else is good enough.

• Upvote 1

I think this years Gold Cup will be the best for a generation, You could make a case for about 5, maybe 6 horses winning it and that's without last years winner who would've had a shout if fit.

Djakadam was my big bet e/w last year and I'm going with him again, but I see Vautour and Don Poli as massive threats.

Un De Sceaux looks to be the form Horse of the Champion Chase. I really can't see Sprinter Sacre being in the top 3 and Dodging Bullets doesn't appear to be on last years form.

If The New One is ever going to win a Champion Hurdle, it will be tomorrow. Which he wont.

• Upvote 1

The Gold Cup will be amazing. I'm a massive fan of Don Cossack, Vautour & Don Poli.

I'm avoiding Don Cossack & Vautour. Don Cossack falls too much for my liking and I don't think he's a Cheltenham type of horse. Vautour has question marks over his stamina and the Gold Cup may be too long for him.

I'll be going for Don Poli.

Annie Power could beat herself.

She's by no means a serial faller. But she fell in a slower, lower class Mares hurdle under little pressure last year.

Always the danger that the same could happen in a more competitive, faster ran race when the horses are jumping at greater speed.

Personally, I think she'll win, but I wouldn't have her in the banker category.

Jairz, what beats Annie Power? I think both of the two massive pull outs beat her comfortably, but what else?

Yeah, no idea mate. As I said, nothing is solid and the 7lb pull will be massive. I quite like NC but think he needs further.

On the GC I wouldn't have DP at 20s. Probably piss the Grand National but he'll get found out with the pace of the race at Cheltenham especially as it'll be GtS maybe even G ground by Friday.

Annie Power could beat herself.

She's by no means a serial faller. But she fell in a slower, lower class Mares hurdle under little pressure last year.

Always the danger that the same could happen in a more competitive, faster ran race when the horses are jumping at greater speed.

Personally, I think she'll win, but I wouldn't have her in the banker category.

I agree mate, but I still blame Ruby for that. Just an eased off stride at the last. Ruby got no blame whatsoever for that, yet to my eyes it was his fault. Other than that, I'm with you, she is by no means in the 'Banker' category. It's the weakest Champion Hurdle field for about 12 years and anything 'could' win it, let's face it, Punjabi won it 7 years ago and it's a race that always stretches them out. Annie Power will either be in front come the last and win it, or be miles behind and fuck knows who will win it. Either scenario is as likely as the other. This is no Hardy Eustace/Brave Inca/Harchibald/ Macs Joy field and it's certainly not a Night Nurse/Monksfield/Sea Pigeon/Birds Nest/Pollardstown field.

Yeah, no idea mate. As I said, nothing is solid and the 7lb pull will be massive. I quite like NC but think he needs further.

On the GC I wouldn't have DP at 20s. Probably piss the Grand National but he'll get found out with the pace of the race at Cheltenham especially as it'll be GtS maybe even G ground by Friday.

If you were the owners, would you think about aiming Don Poli somewhere else? I'm nowhere as down on him for the GC as you mind. I think he has a massive chance. While Don Cossack 'could' win it, I'm nowhere near convinced which is why I'm Djakadam e/w all over, once again.

Another one that's jumped out a bit in the 2:50 handicap tomorrow is Southfield Theatre.

It's first run in handicap races, and was previously just falling short against top level chasers. This is a drop in class for it.

Fancy it at around 20/1.

I agree mate and I think 20/1 is short. I've got that in my E/W 'hoping for a pay day' pot.

If you were the owners, would you think about aiming Don Poli somewhere else? I'm nowhere as down on him for the GC as you mind. I think he has a massive chance. While Don Cossack 'could' win it, I'm nowhere near convinced which is why I'm Djakadam e/w all over, once again.

The lure of the GC is massive obviously I just think it's slow and won't have the class.

I think DC would have won at Kempton if it completed and I think it was a little unlucky in running.

If Vautour stays it wins. I just see DC as more solid.

The lure of the GC is massive obviously I just think it's slow and won't have the class.

I think DC would have won at Kempton if it completed and I think it was a little unlucky in running.

If Vautour stays it wins. I just see DC as more solid.

Just can't see Vautour staying. Not bred to and it was labouring massively in the King George when caught. I dont think its possible to go from that to winning the GC. Think it's between Cue Card, Don Cossack and possibly Djackadam.

Just can't see Vautour staying. Not bred to and it was labouring massively in the King George when caught. I dont think its possible to go from that to winning the GC. Think it's between Cue Card, Don Cossack and possibly Djackadam.

Interesting that you're the first to mention Cue Card mate, this is the form Horse of the season at anywhere near and around the distance. As is Smad Place. The Hennessy isn't usually won by slouches. I'd absolutely love Smad Place to win it, but it;s not going to happen. Cue Card must have a chance, yet not mentioned by anyone else. If Cue Card is up at the front and jumping fluently about 3 from home, then he will win it. The only time he doesn't is when he's struggling to go the pace.

To be completely honest I've understood about 2 of the posts in this thread

I'd say that you were at an advantage for losing your dough then mate, the rest of us are losing ours on a tried and tested system of knowing form over the season, which is less use than pinsticking. Or going by nice names and pretty colours.