You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Labour Leadership Contest

The Next Labour Leader  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to cunt Cameron in the bastard?

• Liz Kendall - she invented mintcake.
    • Andy Burnham - such sadness in those eyes
    • Yvette Cooper - uses her maiden name because she doesn't want to be called "I've ate balls"
    • Jeremy Corbyn - substitute geography teacher

Guest Pistonbroke

Off the top of my head I could imagine there are still a few WW2 vets still alive who might disagree with his last statement the colossal twat.

Indeed, it is all about what they can gain through selling arms or thieving resources from the lands they invade. 

So, I'm vegging in front of The One Show and they've done this thing where they've asked 'shoppers' in Guildford, I think, about whether they support various political ideas and when its revealed that they're Corbyn's policies, almost to a man/woman their reaction is, 'No!'

Why are people so fucking tribal? In a vacuum they're instinctively drawn to such ideas and once they're told whose policies they are the shutters go down and they're not even prepared to discuss their reactions. Drones

I work with a woman who's exactly the same, insisting Corbyn would be a disaster. When I asked her for reasons, she couldn't say other than to regurgitate the more salacious red top drivel from the previous weeks.

To her credit though (and after I'd put her straight) she went to his website and actually read his manifesto. She couldn't believe it, and found herself agreeing with most of it. That's the battle he's got though - everyone has made up their mind based upon the shite that's being spread at the moment.

Respect for taking the time and effort to put your thoughts into a very well contructed post.

I understand why you like Cooper and admit she comes across as a good public speaker,although I dont believe she says too much different from most of the other modern Labour MPs.

The thing that I cannot forgive is that only one of the candidates voted against the austerity bill and that is absolutely shameful. Abstaining is as good as backing it if you are supposed to represent the people affected by it.

It's only more shameful to then say you'll lead the fight against it.

Didn't the Tories package the welfare bill with something else which is what caused many people to abstain. It's something they do in the US a lot like they will say if you vote for the raise taxes for the rich bill then you also vote for female genital mutilation. its part of the same package we've called the freedom liberty heroes let's do this bill.

• Upvote 1

Didn't the Tories package the welfare bill with something else which is what caused many people to abstain. It's something they do in the US a lot like they will say if you vote for the raise taxes for the rich bill then you also vote for female genital mutilation. its part of the same package we've called the freedom liberty heroes let's do this bill.

No. Not at all as far as I'm aware.

It's been completely down to the PLP and their fucking stupidity.

The Telegraph understands a dozen members of the current shadow cabinet will reject any offer Mr Corbyn makes unless he ditches policies that were central in his campaign.

They are Tristram Hunt, Chris Leslie, Emma Reynolds, Vernon Coaker, Michael Dugher, Shabana Mahmood, Mary Creagh, Yvette Cooper, Chuka Umunna, Lucy Powell, Liz Kendall and a twelfth who asked not to be named.

The Telegraph understands a dozen members of the current shadow cabinet will reject any offer Mr Corbyn makes unless he ditches policies that were central in his campaign.

They are Tristram Hunt, Chris Leslie, Emma Reynolds, Vernon Coaker, Michael Dugher, Shabana Mahmood, Mary Creagh, Yvette Cooper, Chuka Umunna, Lucy Powell, Liz Kendall and a twelfth who asked not to be named.

Big loss.

Now there's an oxymoron.

Wif da angles now.

• Upvote 1

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-labour-leader

1/33 in places. That isn't random punters having a few quid. That's people that know the result. The reason I don't really think they'd fix it is because it would actually look so utterly ludicrous now. And I agree, Corbyn wouldn't say a word if there were any shenanigans.

I'm not really suggesting that he wouldn't stay in the party and try and retain some of the movement, enthusiasm, etc. I just have no confidence that it would be allowed to amount to anything. If they, the right of the party, manage to get rid of him that'll be it, in my opinion. McDonnell, etc, may stay in the party, and I'm sure they would, but they'd go back to having the influence they had six months ago. Fuck all.

You seem much more optimistic than me about the rest of the party.

I wouldn't take bookies' odds as gospel when it comes to politics. Political betting is such a small part of their business that they don't bother allocating proper resources to find out what's going on, they just follow the money and the conventional wisdom and cover their arses when necessary. I reckon Corbyn's odds tumbling in the last few days will have been a response to the Burnham camp's polling that shows Corbyn getting a majority of his second preferences, which could give Corbyn a big advantage in a run-off against Cooper. I've no idea how big or representative that polling sample is though. Corbyn is obviously the clear favourite, but if Cooper or Burnham do win then I'd mark it down as another case of opinion polls being spectacularly wrong due to deficient polling techniques, rather than a fix. I can't stress strongly enough how much of a shambles the party's central administration is at the moment, fixing the result is beyond them.

I am optimistic about the party as a whole. The grandees on the right who've been undermining Corbyn and talking of coups and splits are far from representative of the party in general. The membership are a lot more progressive and positive by and large, as you'll hopefully find out if you do join up and get involved.

My confidence isn't just based on the attitude of the membership though, it's also based on the current state of the right of the party. They're not the fearsome, ruthless, well-oiled political machine you're portraying, who can make what they want happen on a whim. Maybe once, but not now - as a political force they're in disarray. I've read quite a few articles in recent weeks that mention their disbelief and recrimination at just how badly they've fucked up. Their two poster boys pulled out of the race early on, and the best candidate they could offer up was Kendall, who even by her own admission ran a poor campaign and who got the thumbs down from swing voters as well as Labour members and supporters. They know they've lost the high ground to the left and the membership, and I really don't think they have anywhere near as much power as you fear to effect the outcomes they want.

So what do you think he's going to do about it? Most of the Labour Party supports replacing Trident, don't they?

I think a majority of MPs probably do. A clear majority of the membership support disarmament. Corbyn will give Labour MPs a free vote, urge them to vote against renewal but allow them to vote as their conscience dictates.

By compromise I assumed you meant change his own position to appease his MPs.

Unfortunately the reality is the party machine has already taken the power away from the membership. The hope was some would go back. If the right win the membership have no say in what happens next. The irony (hypocrisy) would be the right calling for unity for the good of the party, despite everything they have done and said over the last few months.

You specifically mentioned the MPs changing the leadership election rules to reduce the influence of the membership on the result. That's what I meant by taking the power away - hasn't happened yet.

This is from PoliticsHome’s Kevin Schofield.

Kevin Schofield

Kevin Schofield – ‏@PolhomeEditor

Senior aide to Liz Kendall says Corbyn has won in the first round with over 60% of the vote.

@afneil: Several Labour sources now claiming Corbyn has 60% first preferences. I'm unable to verify.