You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

If a stock market crashes, the economy crashes and everyone loses their jobs. And if the banks fail, your taxes will be used to prop them up. Again.

That's why.

I didn't say 'why should I be arsed if the stock market crashes' I said why would anyone pay them any mind as a barometer of whether or not something is good or bad for the country, as it is essentially run by the seat of people's pants. All their amazing polling data they commissioned (which even Farage seemed to be appearing to accept early on election night) turned out to be a load of bollocks. 

The idea that 'pound down, Brexit must be a mistake' is baffling, it may very well be, but the fact the pound falls or goes up is surely no indicator of it. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Those who voted leave have been given fuck all apart from lies which have been reneged by those who lied to them. The country has been put on hold whilst those who lied to them squabble about who is going to be the next Tory leader, yet certain posters on here seem to be still happy in the way things have turned out, or not as the case atm stands. Stupid cunts. 

This thread has turned into a pissing contest between the Remainers, who can come up with the best doomsday scenario to how fucked the country is!

I hope you miserable bastards aren't like this in real life, you'll have no mates left soon!

• Upvote 1

I didn't say 'why should I be arsed if the stock market crashes' I said why would anyone pay them any mind as a barometer of whether or not something is good or bad for the country, as it is essentially run by the seat of people's pants. All their amazing polling data they commissioned (which even Farage seemed to be appearing to accept early on election night) turned out to be a load of bollocks. 

The idea that 'pound down, Brexit must be a mistake' is baffling, it may very well be, but the fact the pound falls or goes up is surely no indicator of it. 

Well yes, if you are not bothered about the effect of political decisions on the economy, jobs and prosperity then I guess they aren't important.

Polling data obviously has nothing to do with this.

This thread has turned into a pissing contest between the Remainers, who can come up with the best doomsday scenario to how fucked the country is!

I hope you miserable bastards aren't like this in real life, you'll have mates left soon!

Absolutely spot on. The same remainers who just want to talk amongst themselves.

Its actually the remain side who've fucked things up. The Remain side is the UK government's official position. They are the ones in power. Yet amazingly, so confident was the government of winning the referendum, they had no plan in place what to do if the country did not vote that way. Cameron has now created a vacuum for the remain campaign by staying in situ until October.

• Upvote 1

Again not really. We're just concerned about the future and whenever a Leave person tells us not to worry, they tend to talk shite which doesn't help to reassure us.

Those who voted leave have been given fuck all apart from lies which have been reneged by those who lied to them. The country has been put on hold whilst those who lied to them squabble about who is going to be the next Tory leader, yet certain posters on here seem to be still happy in the way things have turned out, or not as the case atm stands. Stupid cunts.

You're assuming everyone who voted leave we're influenced by people who were running leave campaigns, why? My mind was made up on the EU before most people had even heard of Nigel Farage.

I hope you miserable bastards aren't like this in real life, you'll have mates left soon!

Are you genuinely completely oblivious to the tidal wave of shit brexit has already caused? We haven't even entered discussions to start thinking about considering activating article 50 yet; and we have no government, all the economic crap, a sharp increase in racist abuse and fascists crowing about taking back control.

What do you think is going to happen when we do eventually decide to go through with it?

Guest Pistonbroke

You're assuming everyone who voted leave we're influenced by people who were running leave campaigns, why? My mind was made up on the EU before most people had even heard of Nigel Farage.

I couldn't give a shit about your views. 

I hope you miserable bastards aren't like this in real life, you'll have no mates left soon!

Things aren't exactly looking great right now to be fair.

Guest Pistonbroke

Reality Check: How important is foreign investment?

There is no sign of anybody triggering Article 50 to begin the UK's process of leaving the European Union.

There are political reasons for that, but there is concern that the delays will hit foreign investment, which is a problem for the current account.

It's not very fashionable to care about the current account, but there are particular reasons to be looking at it now.

The current account is worked out by adding up the goods and services a country exports and the income earned for the UK by overseas investments (that's things like profits, dividends and interest payments).

Then you subtract the goods and services the UK imports, income paid overseas for investments in the UK and payment of things like international aid.

The figure you get is the current account, and if the answer is negative then you have a current account deficit. The UK has had a continuous current account deficit since 1984. Since 2011, it has widened considerably. In the first three months of 2016, it was 6.9% of national income or £32.6bn.

A current account deficit means a country depends on being able to borrow money overseas and on foreign companies wanting to invest in the UK.

That hasn't been a huge problem so far. In 2014, there was £27.8bn of foreign direct investment in the UK, according to the Office for National Statistics, which was mentioned during the referendum campaign as about £880 a second.

About 18 months ago, former BBC economics editor Robert Peston warned that the current account deficit was "the UK's Achilles heel", but added that the silver lining was "that the latest figures show a big increase in the profits of foreign-owned UK companies".

Sushil Wadhwani said when he was a member of the Bank of England's rate-setting Monetary Policy Committee that current account deficits "appear not to matter until, well, they suddenly do".

And what would make them suddenly matter would be something that happened that made overseas companies think twice about investing in the UK.

Or if there were a reduction in other countries' confidence in the pound - confidence is important if you are running a big current account deficit.

If you try to run a current account deficit without confidence then you get a sterling crisis and the value of the pound falls further.

The good news is that a weaker pound makes imports more expensive and exports cheaper, which should narrow the deficit, but you wouldn't want it to fall too far.

Chancellor George Osborne has spoken about the economy being in a good state to cope with the challenges ahead because the budget deficit has been falling.

But the current account deficit has been growing, and on Monday, Mr Osborne said: "It is already evident that as a result of Thursday's decision, some firms are continuing to pause their decisions to invest or to hire people."

He blamed the uncertainty about the UK's future relationship with the European Union for those delays.

In the context of the current account, some certainty sooner rather than later would be desirable.

Are you genuinely completely oblivious to the tidal wave of shit brexit has already caused? We haven't even entered discussions to start thinking about considering activating article 50 yet; and we have no government, all the economic crap, a sharp increase in racist abuse and fascists crowing about taking back control.

What do you think is going to happen when we do eventually decide to go through with it?

Tidal wave of shit? Oh the drama! Nothings changed in my life, the media has gone into a frenzy. The two main parties are at each others throats (fuck them both!) Fianacial markets going up and down (The 100 is at its highest it's been all year today and the next level down is going back up)

I'd have hated to be sat next to any of you lot at half time at Istanbul! There's being worried and there's the hysterics in this thread.

Tidal wave of shit? Oh the drama! Nothings changed in my life, the media has gone into a frenzy. The two main parties are at each others throats (fuck them both!) Fianacial markets going up and down (The 100 is at its highest it's been all year today and the next level down is going back up)

I'd have hated to be sat next to any of you lot at half time at Istanbul! There's being worried and there's the hysterics in this thread.

Admittedly I did think we were fucked at half time.

All these remainers with their faux indignation that Article 50 hasnt been served yet.

Im surprised they arent arguing over who has the right to serve it, Parliament, Cameron, his successor, farage or have the best of 3 referendums!

Even Merkle has said the UK doesnt need to serve Article 50 notice while things are moving all the time.

All these remainers with their faux indignation that Article 50 hasnt been served yet.

Im surprised they arent arguing over who has the right to serve it, Parliament, Cameron, his successor, farage or have the best of 3 referendums!

Even Merkle has said the UK doesnt need to serve Article 50 notice while things are moving all the time.

It's not indignation. It's hope that it will never happen.

And leavers who are convinced that because everything hasn't gone completely to shite in a week, it never will.

And leavers who are convinced that because everything hasn't gone completely to shite in a week, it never will.

And let's not forget their piercing insight into exactly how we'll achieve this financial, social and (and of course - immigrant free) nirvana by 2020, 2026, 2036 or maybe 2074.

• Upvote 1