You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Skrtel rejects 'unacceptable' contract. So what now?

tlw content

It may well be a future template for contracts at Liverpool.

Especially under the accountants from Fenway Park.

I just think foisting it on someone who's about as "through and through" as we sadly have at Liverpool at the moment, is emblematic of the cheap piece of shit we are becoming.

It may well be a future template for contracts at Liverpool.

Especially under the accountants from Fenway Park.

I just think foisting it on someone who's about as "through and through" as we sadly have at Liverpool at the moment, is emblematic of the cheap piece of shit we are becoming.

I bet Milner at roughly the same age is not subject to this type of contract though.

I don't see how assessing his ability and offering what they think is fair is disrespectful to him. He hasn't been offered what he wants, that's a shame for him who has earned tens of millions from the club already, but he's not being disrespected.

Fair comment.

Agger and Sturridge have rinsed the club in recent years getting generous wages for part time work. It isn't surprising that the Club has decided to reduce its risk with Skrts.

Incidentally, Agger only played on half of Brondby's games last season.

My own view is that he is good, but not amongst the best. Where we would miss out if he leaves is in losing yet more experience.

It is not surprising that Milner has been key to Brendan's plans, combining being injury free, with lots of experience and experience of winning things.

If Skrts leaves its not a disaster, the disaster waiting is Brendan buying Lovrens Mk2.

This is simple for me .It will be miracle if we sign a better CB than Skrtel that will just slot in. 

Our defense is piss poor even with him so fuck knows what sort of mess we will create if he goes. Stop fucking about,pay him a fair whack and concentrate on upgrading that wanker Lovren 

• Upvote 1

The one tiny problem that FSG seem to have forgotten about is that none of our rivals are offering these stupid contacts!

Most, If not all of the clubs above us wouldn't mess their first team players around like this.

We're ahead of the curve. And we thought we'd try our newfangled cleverer than you moneysabrewagenomics on one of our best and most experienced players.

• Upvote 1

We're ahead of the curve. And we thought we'd try our newfangled cleverer than you moneysabrewagenomics on one of our best and most experienced players.

Sadly I fear this has every chance of being right.. Is he one of the higher earners too ?

*Shrugs*

I'd imagine he's on about £70k/£75k p/w. 

I'd also have imagined he'd have signed a £100k p/w three year deal, which in my opinion would be fair.

None of us know for certain though, obviously. It just seems so stupid that we're pissing off one of our only players that is consistent, experienced, not made of stilton, and not a complete shithouse. If you want to lower the wage bill then focus on binning off the dozen players we don't need and stop signing shit squad players.

or maybe it's a club strategy going forward whereby we've learned from what's happened to Sturridge and we're not going to pay £150,000 a week for a player to sit in the treatment room for 7 months of the season.

If Skrtel isn't injured then fine, he's got no problems going forward, rake it in lad.

If he does get injured, then the onus is on him to properly rehabilitate as per the instructions of the staff and get himself back into the team and earning again.

Is anyone surprised after this last season that we are now implementing safeguards against players being shit professionals? Especially for players aged over 30 who are now technically more likely to get injured?

I feel for Skrtel in a way, but not in others. The contract offer wasn't designed just for him, it's obviously a template for all contract offers from here on in.

Thats a stupid way to try to deal with players getting injuries. I expect fsg think, as with all their solutions theyve solved theyve fixed players getting injured forever by just not paying them if they are.

If only the other teams had thought of this amazing idea. Most importantly it will save money that theyve pocketed from the fans.

If these contracts are the future then I doubt we'll be signing too many players. Who is going to sign a contract that means whether you get paid depends on the pure chance of a poor tackle or unfortunately placed grass divot. Whilst I haven't seen it, I'd put good money on Milner's contract not containing any such clause.

• Upvote 1

You're very welcome to do that, but I don't see how assessing his ability and offering what they think is fair is disrespectful to him. He hasn't been offered what he wants, that's a shame for him who has earned tens of millions from the club already, but he's not being disrespected.

Are you messing? Oh no, you are. Ok.

This clubs going down the shitter fast, I used to think it was Ayre who was the incompetent negotiator, I now see it's the owners cheapskate mandate that ruins any negotiations be that clubs or players.

To piss off one of our better and loyal defenders who's put his body on the line a number of times and isn't a total shit house is embarrassing. Balotelli is on 80 grand a week which bumps up with clauses, does anyone really think Sturridge's wages are the problem?

Skrtel in reality should be captain before Henderson and will be at least vice captain next year yet here we are again fucking about, if he says its 'unacceptable' then I'll take his word any day over the wankers in charge at the club

• Upvote 1

You're very welcome to do that, but I don't see how assessing his ability and offering what they think is fair is disrespectful to him. He hasn't been offered what he wants, that's a shame for him who has earned tens of millions from the club already, but he's not being disrespected.

You seem to miss the point. He says its disrespectful. I value his opinion above FSG. Thus I take his word. You seem to be doing the opposite taking their opinion over his. 

I think he has more credibility when it comes to respect. 

Yes he's earned 10 of millions but its all relevant isn't it. The club earns, and has a payroll of several hundreds of millions. People pay the money to watch the players, not Mike Gordon. 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

You seem to miss the point. He says its disrespectful. I value his opinion above FSG. Thus I take his word. You seem to be doing the opposite taking their opinion over his.

I think he has more credibility when it comes to respect.

Yes he's earned 10 of millions but its all relevant isn't it. The club earns, and has a payroll of several hundreds of millions. People pay the money to watch the players, not Mike Gordon.

I'm not taking anybody's word. As far as I know, the club hasn't commented. I'm making my own judgement.

The fact that the likes of Flanagan and Henderson even showed signs of hesitation in penning their new contracts is suggestive enough that issue does not lie with the players really but very much the tightarses at the helm of the club. Flanagan is boyhood fan, hardly has a huge reputation on the transfer market and with his injury record, no chance of a club anywhere near our size coming in for him. As for Henderson, he seems a dead cert to be the new captain of Liverpool FC, why the hell would he even contemplate ot signing a new contract. The first contract offers must have been pretty disgraceful to put any sort of doubt in these players' minds.

Has he spoken out or tried to be a leader in the dressing room? Maybe he's being frozen out

I did wonder something similar when it has been suggested the manager has lost at least part of the dressing room.

Think it's one of the first scenes in Gerry McGuire when the American football player is lying in the hospital with his lad and his mrs at his side and he says "doc I need to be out of this hospital quick and playing again otherwise I won't get my endorsements" and the guy is pretty much a cabbage after his ninth time in the hospital.

I agree with Sturridge - it's horrible having an injury and not being able to do what you love and what you're really good at but for fucks sake £100k a week or whatever to be in America living it up for months on end. That shit has to stop.

Write in a clause to their contract that if they are out ore than three months consecutively then they take a pay cut. Fuck them. Sick of this shit were footballers are earning shit loads for doing fuck all and when I take a week off work sick then I feel guilty etc...

The club is losing the fucking plot. Our only decent centre back being treated as if he was Lovren or worse. Get Skrtel on an improved long-term contract. The prospect of Lovren and Toure being our centre back pairing is too ghastly to comprehend.

• 2 weeks later...