You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What's your favourite golf Major?

JohnnyH

Your favourite golf Major  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What's your own personal favourite?

The Ryder Cup is the best spectacle in sport. But if I was a pro and you asked me whether I wanted to win the Ryder Cup or The Open then I wouldn't even have to think for a second. The Open every single time. The Masters also.

But as a golf fan, I look forward to the Ryder Cup the most.

Win the open at St. Andrews and nothing could even come close.

Sink the winning out in the Ryder Cup? I'd take that over a Masters or an open anywhere else other than St Andrews.

Sink the winning out in the Ryder Cup? I'd take that over a Masters or an open anywhere else other than St Andrews.

Really? For me winning a Major pisses all over winning the Ryder Cup.

The Open.

Yank coverage is bound to have, if its in Scotland, old Socttish men drinking ale or single malt. If its in England they have old men drinking pints of bitter.

I prefer The Open because of the weather. The Masters I like because it's the same course. Albeit with a few modifications through the years.

I always watch the US Open as well as its falls on Fathers Day so I get a full day of golf to watch on the couch uninterrupted.

Not a chance. The Ryder Cup is great to watch but it doesnt come close to the prestige of winning a major. Ask Phil Mickelson would he trade any of his his majors to change the eight times he's been part of a losing team. The answer would be no.

I think he is talking about how it would feel as the player making the putt.

It's both.

However I can see his point as golfers by their very nature are selfish, insulated and loners.

It would make sense why individual success would mean more to them.

I've always loved team sports and the atmosphere of sinking the winning putt in the Ryder Cup would top any major.

The masters for me loved it since Nicklaus won in 86 and it just looks totally incredible.

I'm sure for players link's courses are great and an incredible challenge for them but as a viewer half the time they look like they're playing on the surface of the moon., and can you fuck see where the ball is going when they drive....oh and what's all those double greens all about.?

It was mate, but my favourite is the best.

Just was confused by your choice.

Fair enough. I prefer watching the American ones. 

The Open or the US Open are probably the hardest for the players to win though because the courses aren't generally as forgiving. 

In my opinion, the Ryder Cup is a load of contrived bollocks that the very top players care little about.

Monty cares, but that's only because he shat himself every time he was in contention in a major.

When Tiger, McIlroy or Mickelson, for example, retire, their Ryder Cup record will be one of the least important things they remember.

Anyway, that rant was in response to an earlier post about the Ryder Cup.

Masters for me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In my opinion, the Ryder Cup is a load of contrived bollocks that the very top players care little about.

Monty cares, but that's only because he shat himself every time he was in contention in a major.

When Tiger, McIlroy or Mickelson, for example, retire, their Ryder Cup record will be one of the least important things they remember.

Anyway, that rant was in response to an earlier post about the Ryder Cup.

Masters for me.

Wrong.

Pathetic neg. I'm right, you know. Just look at their records.

Nah, you're wrong mate. You just have to look at Mickelsons press conference after the last Ryder Cup when he hung Watson out to dry to see how much it means to them. I'd agree that their Majors mean more (they would to me too), but it's entirely wrong (in my opinion of course) to say they don't care. It's representing the "U S of A" for starters and we all know what the yanks are like about that.

You'll see in their trophy rooms that the Ryder Cup is huge to them. It won't be as huge to Woods or Mickelson as their majors when they retire because they keep getting beat, but don't for one second think they won't have wanted to have won it more times, and that it won't be a regret.

I also know that having initially not really known what it was all about, McIlroy is 100% all in on the Ryder Cup. Lots of talk also that he's started working on getting it back to Ireland in the future (in the North no doubt), in the same way he's organised this years Irish Open.