You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Official PL cash payments 2013/14.

Caramac

Seriously, with all the money that clubs get from TV, sponsorship, merchandise and matchday revenue (food, drink, ale, programmes, etc...).  Income from ticket money must be a fucking drop in the ocean, if Liverpool slashed ticket prices in half, it'd make fuck all difference to them - but could be the difference between a parent being able to take his family to the match and not - or said parent, being able to afford to go on their own in the first place!

• Upvote 1

Seriously, with all the money that clubs get from TV, sponsorship, merchandise and matchday revenue (food, drink, ale, programmes, etc...).  Income from ticket money must be a fucking drop in the ocean, if Liverpool slashed ticket prices in half, it'd make fuck all difference to them - but could be the difference between a parent being able to take his family to the match and not - or said parent, being able to afford to go on their own in the first place!

They will never drop ticket prices when there is such a huge demand for them.

I know, if I don't buy my away ticket - somebody else will, but football has a real problem on it's hands when a parent can't afford to take their children to watch it anymore.

Sad but true.

But tickets is still an important revenue stream. 40,000 tickets at £30 a head is £1.2m, even with league games only it works out at more than £45m over a season.

At a guess I'd say that revenue from our next set of accounts may look approximately like this:

Matchday.........£50m

Commercial....£100m

Media.............£100m

---------------------------

TOTAL...........£250m

That is a pretty excellent total when you consider it doesn't include Champions League revenue.

If the Premier League set out a rule for ticket pricing, that would help, then at least one club couldn't charge 60 quid while another loses out for charging only 25.

Of course there's a demand for tickets and people will always say supply and demand dictate the prices, but clubs COULD choose to make a gesture and start lowering prices.

I know a lot of fans who can no longer afford season tickets, and when you start adding CL games in the equation too, it doesn't help.

Without wanting to start a FFP debate (plenty of other threads for that), it cannot be right that IF a club opted to lower its ticket prices, it would have to find that revenue elsewhere under FFP. UEFA should make lower ticket prices an exemption, or better still.... if a club lowered ticket prices by 10 quid, they'd be exempt for 20 quid. THAT would encourage clubs to start lowering prices for the real benefit of the fans, not for UEFA's pockets.

Without wanting to start a FFP debate (plenty of other threads for that), it cannot be right that IF a club opted to lower its ticket prices, it would have to find that revenue elsewhere under FFP. UEFA should make lower ticket prices an exemption, or better still.... if a club lowered ticket prices by 10 quid, they'd be exempt for 20 quid. THAT would encourage clubs to start lowering prices for the real benefit of the fans, not for UEFA's pockets.

That would just open a new loophole to exploit. The hardcore financial dopers would just give away tickets for nominal prices in order to write off their spending. 

The first step towards lower ticket prices is FFP; it's far from perfect, but it's a start. Stopping sides spending hundreds of millions and watching wage bills spiral into the stratosphere, which inevitably leads to less wealthy sides fleecing fans just to keep up.

Giving get out clauses so they can continue would only serve to let off the sides with rich financial backers and put further pressure on the sides without.

That would just open a new loophole to exploit. The hardcore financial dopers would just give away tickets for nominal prices in order to write off their spending. 

The first step towards lower ticket prices is FFP; it's far from perfect, but it's a start. Stopping sides spending hundreds of millions and watching wage bills spiral into the stratosphere, which inevitably leads to less wealthy sides fleecing fans just to keep up.

Giving get out clauses so they can continue would only serve to let off the sides with rich financial backers and put further pressure on the sides without.

I can see your point, but equally I think a high earning club like Liverpool or City are screwed either way. If they charge high prices, they are accused of fleecing the fans and if they lowered prices, they'd be accused of being able to afford to drop the prices and undercut Wigan / Bolton etc... and taking their future fan base.

But whilst I agree that the spending issues need to be sorted out (God knows how), in the meantime I think it's better to say 'IF you're going to spend, we want to see a benefit to the fans' - rather than say 'don't spend at all'

I think with the new TV sponsorship deal, ALL clubs could have agreed to lower ticket prices. Effectively they'd have set aside x million per club and simply given something back to the fans. 

None of them did. Which probably reflects the reality of the modern game. We're just punters, even to our own clubs. Nothing more, nothing less.

Cardiff got more money this year than last years winners

Not sure it makes a lot of difference (in the PL) though - since every club got this boost, and it'll right back out of the club on transfers and wages.

It probably widens the gap between PL and the Championship / Football League though.

Even if there weren't any sugar daddy spending clouding the issue, every club would still just have more to spend, but not be any better off.

The sad reality is that whoever is taking their slice of this new pie... the fans are seeing little benefit.