You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Worst Case Scenario Roleplay - finishing 4th in the league

Gym Beglin

You did not ask it again when I asked.

I've said that we have been good enough to finish in a CL spot the last 3 seasons but have not done so for different reasons, so everything else would be to underachieve.

You're perfectly capable of scrolling up a page, you lazy arrogant twat.

The league tables for the last three seasons would suggest you are wrong.

You're perfectly capable of scrolling up a page, you lazy arrogant twat.

The league tables for the last three seasons would suggest you are wrong.

If my answer was so important for you I would assume you would post it again, because  to answer it was really not important for me so why should I bother to go looking for it?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Sorry but that is just stupid.

Are you saying the knockout game we have played uinder Rodgers have been anything than abysmal?

Those are facts, no need to dress them up as anything else, I dont see how its respecting someone to not tell the truth.

Rodgers has done nothing so far to earn my respect and I dont respect positions whatsoever

Rodgers hasn't been here very long. The sample size of knockout games is too small to form much of a conclusion. Based on this season's evidence, you can say that we were very unlucky to draw Man Utd so early. But I won't be drawn into a debate about knockout games. That's not what this is about.

The league is our bread and butter, as one wise leader of men once said. And we have been nowhere near good enough in the league for years. Rodgers has a tough job on his hands, but so far this season he is making a good fist of it. I don't see the need to keep sniping at him. He inherited a team that was about the seventh best in the land. In his first season, as a young manager taking on a big job, he matched the league record of his predecessor. It wasn't spectacular by any means, but it was a start. Now we are in season two of Rodgers' reign. There is a heck of a long way to go, but the signs are positive so far. To overlook that, and then to switch parameters to try to make it a discussion about knockout football - and in a thread that is about the league (!) - is, I feel, a little disingenuous. 

I'm not stupid about our manager. He is not the finished article. But I get the sense that he is on the rise. Perhaps like our team. It's a good match.

Bwaak! But this is wrong! Bwaak! But that is wrong!

Stop fussing. Enjoy it! It is allowed. 

• Upvote 2

Sorry but that is just stupid.

Are you saying the knockout game we have played uinder Rodgers have been anything than abysmal?

Those are facts, no need to dress them up as anything else, I dont see how its respecting someone to not tell the truth.

Rodgers has done nothing so far to earn my respect and I dont respect positions whatsoever

To me, calling other opinions stupid is not about respect either.

We can always take a look at his cup results to see if it inspires anyone with confidence.

Thern we can moan because someone points this mere fact out.

Rodgers cup results:

13/14:

League Cup:

3rd: Man Utd-Liverpool 1-0

FA Cup:

12/13:
FA Cup:
4th: Oldham-Liverpool 3-2
3rd: Mansfield-Liverpool 1-2

League Cup:
4th: Liverpool-Swansea 1-3
3rd: West Brom-Liverpool 1-2

11/12:
FA Cup:
4th: Bolton-Swansea 2-1
3rd: Barnsley-Swansea 2-4

League Cup:
2nd: Shrewsbury Town-Swansea 3-1

10/11:
FA Cup:
4th: Swansea-Leyton Orient 1-2
3rd: Swansea-Colchester 4-0

League Cup:
4th: Wigan-Swansea 2-0
3rd: Peterborough-Swansea 1-3
2nd: Tranmere-swansea 1-3
1st: Swansea-Barnet 3-0

09/10:
League Cup:
2nd: Reading-Barnsley 1-2
1st: Reading-Burton 5-1

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

How far Rodgers got his teams in the cup competitions before coming to Liverpool is not really good evidence. You might as well say, 'How many top class games did Keegan play before coming to Liverpool?' Not a lot. But the powers that be saw a man who might become something. They gave him a platform at Liverpool, and he went on to make his mark. In a managerial sense, something similar might be happening with Rodgers. Let's support the fella and see what he can do. 

If we consider his record in cup competitions since coming to Liverpool then you'd have to say the loss to Swansea at home in last season's League Cup was not good. However, Swansea were a decent team and they very much had something to prove, since their manager left them for bigger and better. Not a good result, but these things happen. 

The loss in the FA Cup away to Oldham was bad. Skrtel got bossed by that big lad of theirs, and I was very disappointed by Coates too. The side Rodgers put out should have been more than enough to beat Oldham but his players let him down. Sometimes that happens and Rodgers learned a lot about his team that day. Since then he has brought in new players for the heart of the defence with some much needed muscle (Sakho), some vital experience (Toure) and one for the future (Ilori).   

The loss away to Man Utd in this years League Cup was not so surprising. It's a difficult place to go to and come away with a result. They have been at the top for twenty years. We've been a level below them for most of that time, tough as it is to admit it. Most Liverpool sides over the past two decades have failed to get the better of Man Utd. There is a gap there. Rodgers is working on closing it.  

So, three games where we were knocked out. It's not a lot to go on, is it?

Have you considered the evidence that is amassing in all the league games? I think I read that in the last 38 league games Rodgers has amassed 72 points - enough to qualify for the Champions League most seasons.

At this point in time we are in second place. Progress is being made. There will be setbacks along the way. Most fans will be able to place those setbacks in their proper context.

• Upvote 1

Context?

You either win or you lose, there is nothing inbetween.

What a load of myopic, childish nonsense. Getting 4th is vital towards our push to start challenging for the title. It's the next step we simply have to take. Your howling about Moyes and Everton is absurd. And stating you don't want to be in the CL because you "don't like it" is, well, I don't know what to say there.

Fourth brings in more money and it, without question, helps you attract a better quality of players. Suarez wanted to go to Arsenal solely because they were where? Oh yeah, the Champions League.

Not one person is saying they don't want to win the league. They are looking at things in the stages we hope they'll happen. We are in the most competitive of the big leagues. It requires an adult point of view.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Do you really think so Skids?

Really?

I think he'd use it as a stick to beat whoever he's decided he doesn't like, using the line of us having won fuck all again.

I reckon there'd be something about Kenny winning the League Cup in there as well...

Judging by his responses after I sort of defended his words, I forgot to factor in his mental state. There is a part of me that sometimes still believes in him, when he makes posts about wanting to win, then he destroys all faith I have by going off on a unbelievably obscure tangent and so far away from the reality of athe situation.

Will I celebrate it as much as a title or cup? No

Would I take it if offered now? Fucking right I would. For the greater good. 

Which was sort of the point I was making, I would like to have thought any red would have applauded the progression we have been making and then to have progressed again I would have liked to have thought that Code would as well.

While I agree that I want us to win the league every season, it is clear (and I should have known this already so my negs from you and the Brazilian are well deserved) that Code does not live in the real world and should move away from this forum and go and find a new hobby as patience, understanding and a grasp of context and reality are not things he possesses.

And with that behaviour his logic defy's reality.

What a load of myopic, childish nonsense. Getting 4th is vital towards our push to start challenging for the title. It's the next step we simply have to take. Your howling about Moyes and Everton is absurd. And stating you don't want to be in the CL because you "don't like it" is, well, I don't know what to say there.

Fourth brings in more money and it, without question, helps you attract a better quality of players. Suarez wanted to go to Arsenal solely because they were where? Oh yeah, the Champions League.

Not one person is saying they don't want to win the league. They are looking at things in the stages we hope they'll happen. We are in the most competitive of the big leagues. It requires an adult point of view.

4th gives you nothing.

Show me someone who has ambition of getting 4th and I'll show you a loser.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

4th gives you nothing.

Show me someone who has ambition of getting 4th and I'll show you a loser.

Show me somebody who has achieved first without ever getting in the top four and I'll show you a miracle worker.

If I was happy with getting 4th why would I want Rafa sacked?

4th is nothing, getting into CL is nothing.

I love how by a miracle we suddenly are going to start winning things if we get 4th.

We played in the CL most of the time during the 00-10, how many league titles did it bring us.

When Rafa was here we won fuck all after his first two seasons even if we were playing in the CL every year.

We did not win anything until we brought in a winner as our manager and he managed to win something without being in the CL or without having been in it the last two seasons.

Again aiming for 4th is the menatility of a loser, as thats what happens when you get 4th, you lose.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

So would you say it's easier to build a title winning squad that is in the CL and can attract the top players more easily, or one that's not in the CL and finds it difficult to attract the top players? Do you think the vast sums of revenue generated by the CL makes it easier or harder to attract top players when you're able to pay top wages? Do you think CL revenues make it harder or easier to pay top fees for top players? Do top players make it easier to win things?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Fair enough, Code. I guess you're from the Bob Paisley school of winners?

"Whenever you go into any season, you don't set out to finish fourth or third, you always set out to win and be the best that you possibly can be."

We have the best player in the leaguem, we got him when we were not playing in the CL?

What players exactly have we attracted because we have been in the CL over the years, the answer is 1.

The other ones we would have got regardless.

We have the best player in the leaguem, we got him when we were not playing in the CL?

What players exactly have we attracted because we have been in the CL over the years, the answer is 1.

Erm.... That is utter shite. You can't ever know who we would and wouldn't have signed given that we were in the champions league ! 

The revenue from taking part alone allows us to sign better players despite all the top players wanting to play on the biggest stage of all. 

You are on a wind-up. Go and support Stavenger. 

• Downvote 1

Unlike you losers, I want us to win the league, like I do every season.

Getting 4th means fuck all to me, the CL is shite anyway, I have probably watched less than 5 full games the last 3 seasons.

There was a time when I would watch pretty much any televised match. Nowadays, other than our games, I hardly watch any football, including the Champions League. However, participating in the champions league and having the opportunity to watch Liverpool play at the Nou Camp, San Siro etc. isn't shite.

Erm.... That is utter shite. You can't ever know who we would and wouldn't have signed given that we were in the champions league ! 

The revenue from taking part alone allows us to sign better players despite all the top players wanting to play on the biggest stage of all. 

You are on a wind-up. Go and support Stavenger. 

The only player we have signed the last 20 years who would not have come unless we were in the CL is possibly Torres, but who knows, we might have got him.

The revenue from the CL is grossly overrated here, how many top players and their salary would it allow us to get do you think.

Come on, do your best.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

You didn't answer my questions, but there's an evident flaw in your logic here. We've finished outside the top four - top six on three of the occasions - in each of the last four seasons, surely it's sensible to say that we're not been buying good enough players to win the league. So it's evidence in itself.

Do you, or do you not agree that being in the CL will make it easier for us to attract the calibre of player and afford the calibre of player that will help us win things?

You didn't answer my questions, but there's an evident flaw in your logic here. We've finished outside the top four - top six on three of the occasions - in each of the last four seasons, surely it's sensible to say that we're not been buying good enough players to win the league. So it's evidence in itself.

Do you, or do you not agree that being in the CL will make it easier for us to attract the calibre of player and afford the calibre of player that will help us win things?

For me were good enough to finish in CL places both in Kenny's last season and Rodgers first.

Different circumstances I'm not really going to go into now did not make it happen.

This season the other top teams in the league have their own problems so there should be every chance to be up there fighting for the title if we can keep our best players fit, play our best formation and pick our best players.

City- Pellegrini has not come to terms with playing away in this league yet, when he understand they need to play and attack like at home they might run away though. 

Chelsea- not very good at the back, average and aging players, but will be up there.

Arsenal - not really any better than us.

The mancs - David Moyes, a monumental loser.

Spurs - dont have the luxury of Suarez.

I dont really have full control over what we can afford or not as the signed are mixed, we are saving our way to the top and if we really want to make money availible we can do so short term to get the players we need, look to Monaco as an example, its got little to do with playing in the CL or not.

The only player we have signed the last 20 years who would not have come unless we were in the CL is possibly Torres, but who knows, we might have got him.

The revenue from the CL is grossly overrated here, how many top players and their salary would it allow us to get do you think.

Come on, do your best.

Your boy Voronin.