You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

World war 3

Kevin D

Well?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• The savagery of the second world war
    • The potential impact of nuclear weapons
    • American hegemony
    • Western popular democracy wouldn't sustain it
    • Co-dependent economic interests.
    • Luck
    • Other(please state)

It has been 68 years since the end of the second world war and, despite moments of panic and continual predictions, we have managed to avert a third one.

I wanted to know why people think that is?

I understand there are a variety of factors and any poll is going to be too narrow, but I'm going to keep it to one option each.

Guest davelfc

I put nuclear weapons, they really are a game changer. That's why quite a few countries want them or keep them.

The big players are never going to use them, its pointless. Mainly because there's a decent chance the main warmongers themselves could be killed or at the least they won't have anyone left to shit on.

Its a combination of money and the nuclear deterrent. Countries are now so linked that any prolonged war between the powers would effect everyone. Nukes also provide mutually assured destruction and anyone outside the powers cant compete. All future wars amongst those that could do damage military to each other wont happpen. The fights between powerful nations of the future will be in the shadows and most likely technological or economic.

Guest davelfc

Yep, nukes get past everything. You can attack other countries and dig in and fight off resistance. By the time the UN votes on things it's a waste anyway.

But you can't easily attack a country that can obliterate you with nukes. You factor nukes into the start of WW2 and nuke Germany and its basically all over. Yeah, I know there will be arguments about that but address them to someone else.

It's down to the feminisation of men. Put simply, the young men of today simply don't have the balls for a war. They're too busy moisturising, grooming, waxing their bollocks, and listening to whiny cunts like Bruno Mars bitching about how his girlfriend treats him like a pussy because he is one.

Hitler could invade Poland today and the young men of Britain wouldn't give half a rusty shit. God help us all though if they went to the supermarket and could only find just two products for the complete shaving experience.

Metrosexual fucks.

• Upvote 3

Keep an eye on Syria. Russia putting two fingers up to the UN by arming the government with missiles and threatening to assist Syria if others try to establish a no-fly zone. Israel threatening to intervene. Downing St sabre-rattling in respect of chemical weapons despite evidence of use by both sides. And hefty unemployment Europe-wide. Small acorns n'all.

I put nuclear weapons, they really are a game changer. That's why quite a few countries want them or keep them.

The big players are never going to use them, its pointless. Mainly because there's a decent chance the main warmongers themselves could be killed or at the least they won't have anyone left to shit on.

Does that mean you don't think we'll ever have a 3rd world war?

Guest davelfc
Does that mean you don't think we'll ever have a 3rd world war?

Not at all, I am pretty sure that one day something will happen that will cause one. It might be more as a result of a major disaster than an evil dictator though.

I just think that up until now nukes have been the thing that has shaped the way any major player thinks. The main reason of course, not the only reason.

I took part in the nuclear proliferation that saw nukes arrive at Greenham, I held release codes for nukes and worked on a team that was responsible for moving nukes securely around, trained by the sas. Shame I can't put that on my cv. Nuclear war was at the time considered a very real threat.

Anyway, after the Gorbachev and Reagan agreement a lot of nukes were decommissioned as the major players realised that assured mutual destruction kept the peace. It's in nobodies best interest to start a fight as it would lead to the death of everyone eventually.

So in a way the women at Greenham were wrong, it was and is nukes that have ensured they are still alive and free to go about their business today. It was nukes that eventually caused the bases to be closed, or the threat of them.

Oh yes' date=' that famed democracy Nazi Germany

[/quote']

In all fairness, although he never claimed a majority, Hitler was voted into power.

Obviously, any shreds of democracy from the young shoots of Weimar were completely destroyed by good old Adolf in the aftermath of 1933, but it was democracy, in a warped way, that brought him to the position of Chancellor.

Oh yes' date=' that famed democracy Nazi Germany

You really are an utter clown[/quote']

'One of the most ridiculous aspects of democracy will always remain... the fact that it has offered to its mortal enemies the means by which to destroy it.'

- Joseph Goebbels on how the Nazis got power