You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We will win the league under rodgers 100%

jsims

Speak to me Brendan. Quality not quantity you say!

Rodgers wants four summer signings to turn Liverpool into Champions League contenders

By DOMINIC KING

PUBLISHED: 00:14, 13 March 2013 | UPDATED: 08:02, 13 March 2013

Comments (24)

Brendan Rodgers has outlined his ambition to make four new signings this summer to give Liverpool's squad the depth to become credible Champions League challengers.

Liverpool have made significant progress on the back of a positive January transfer window which saw them land Daniel Sturridge and Philippe Coutinho and Rodgers wants that to set a precedent.

He is eager to sign similar quality players in the close season and plans have already been put into place for the recruitment drive, with Rodgers wanting to have a number of options.

Feyenoord's Stefan De Vrij and Swansea captain Ashley Williams will be considered as potential new central defenders, while Newcastle's Hatem Ben Arfa, Tom Ince of Blackpool and Paris St Germain's Kevin Gameiro will also come under consideration.

'There is no doubt there is a natural rebuilding that will come with the likes of Jamie Carragher going,' said Rodgers. 'I am happy with the squad if I can then put another three or four quality players to it. It is quality we are after, not quantity.

'If we bring in another three or four quality players to add to what we have got, then we have got a strong squad. Naturally there might be people who aren't playing who might want to think about going elsewhere, but at the moment it's a strong squad.'

When Rodgers took over last summer, there was a feeling that Liverpool lacked a strategy in the transfer market, which contributed to the summer window ending in farce as they missed out on signing Clint Dempsey. It is why Rodgers feels it is imperative to have different options to go for.

'Of course you have an ideal target, but we are getting to a situation now where, for me, you have to have three players and if one doesn't come off you have to be comfortable with the other two - If you get one of those you are happy,' said Rodgers.

'There is a lot of terrific work going on behind the scenes with the scouting department getting those lists together really. We never had that in the summer and what I had to go with was not what I knew but there were some key positions we needed support in.

'What I didn't want to do was to waste the club's money. I like to be extensive and know what we are bringing in, but also we did not have the time and that was the big issue. We are much better placed now. There is great collaboration that goes on between all the departments.

'January was a productive window for us and hopefully if we do the similar in the summer then it's going to be a real good place for us.'

If Liverpool maintain the form they have shown in recent weeks until May, they may yet sneak a place in Europe. To achieve that goal, they would need to finish fifth in the Barclays Premier League and defender Jose Enrique says beating Tottenham helped the squad clear a mental block.

'I didn't think we would win the game when Tottenham scored their second goal,' said Enrique. 'It is difficult to win these games. The statistics speak for themselves, look at how we have done against the top six teams this season.

'Of course, you always try to win every game, but in terms of our mentality we hadn't had good experiences of this type when we've been losing. But the team worked very hard and this is the important thing because when the team stick together you can see the results.'

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I've liked very much about Rodgers is the uncanny knack he seems to have of putting his finger on certain things many fans have wanted for a long time.

His calling out Downing and the reaction it's prompted is one example, blooding youngsters in the first team another and now this quality over quantity comment is a huge one.

For me, his talk today of sending Suso out on loan is yet another. Common sense planning and decision making which we have often lacked in recent times.

Wigan under Martinez seems a fertile potential breeding ground for our talented youngsters who need to go and get experience at a less pressurised level, but in a style and system that would provide some continuity with Rodgers' own approach. Would be useful if we could arrange something with them, at least so Suso could play there next year.

One thing I've liked very much about Rodgers is the uncanny knack he seems to have of putting his finger on certain things many fans have wanted for a long time.

His calling out Downing and the reaction it's prompted is one example, blooding youngsters in the first team another and now this quality over quantity comment is a huge one.

For me, his talk today of sending Suso out on loan is yet another. Common sense planning and decision making which we have often lacked in recent times.

Wigan under Martinez seems a fertile potential breeding ground for our talented youngsters who need to go and get experience at a less pressurised level, but in a style and system that would provide some continuity with Rodgers' own approach. Would be useful if we could arrange something with them, at least so Suso could play there next year.

I think Rodgers puts his finger on things because he either reads forums or more likely someone keeps him up to date on fans views and feelings, we know he knew about all the looking at claire rourkes tits stuff, online. Too often he has made comments that seem to be in response to criticisms I've read on forums or blogs and he feels he needs to tell fans he's aware. Maybe he's just astute I don't know I can't be arsed finishing my point.

I think Rodgers puts his finger on things because he either reads forums or more likely someone keeps him up to date on fans views and feelings' date=' we know he knew about all the looking at claire rourkes tits stuff, online. Too often he has made comments that seem to be in response to criticisms I've read on forums or blogs and he feels he needs to tell fans he's aware. Maybe he's just astute I don't know I can't be arsed finishing my point.[/quote']

Fair do's. I've felt he's put a number of these things into action rather than just pay them lip service to curry favour, but can see there's potential for the alternative to be the case. He's definitely talked a good game at times.

'There is a lot of terrific work going on behind the scenes with the scouting department getting those lists together really. We never had that in the summer ...What I didn't want to do was to waste the club's money.

Ouch.

You can see how he got the job.

I think Rodgers puts his finger on things because he either reads forums or more likely someone keeps him up to date on fans views and feelings, we know he knew about all the looking at claire rourkes tits stuff, online. Too often he has made comments that seem to be in response to criticisms I've read on forums or blogs and he feels he needs to tell fans he's aware. Maybe he's just astute I don't know I can't be arsed finishing my point.

You think he runs the club based on fans opinions?

What the.....

That's not what he said. He said Rodgers appears to respond in interviews to concerns raised on forums.

He definitely recognises the forums. Hes done two 1.5hour interviews directly for them this year already.

I find it refreshing. I think he really wants to build a rapport with the fans. Whatever you think of his credentials as a manager, I don't know how you can dislike his personality.

All he needs to do now is call Ferguson a cunt.

He definitely recognises the forums. Hes done two 1.5hour interviews directly for them this year already.

I find it refreshing. I think he really wants to build a rapport with the fans. Whatever you think of his credentials as a manager, I don't know how you can dislike his personality.

All he needs to do now is call Ferguson a cunt.

I agree with that, but I hope he's not paying too much attention to what is being said on boards, as it's clear to me that we don't know what the fuck we're talking about, and some of us are genuinely certifiable. It does show that he's not too arrogant to familiarise himself with the views of the fan base.

You think he runs the club based on fans opinions?

What the.....

No I never said that. Just he's aware of fans viewpoints and acknowledges them as opposed to other managers who seem to ignore what we all cry about. I don't think he bases any football decisions on it but he explains his decisions because he's aware of the fans doubts.

he's aware of fans viewpoints and acknowledges them as opposed to other managers who seem to ignore what we all cry about. I don't think he bases any football decisions on it but he explains his decisions because he's aware of the fans doubts.

Rodgers is by far the most media savvy manager we have had since Shankly.Any manager is wise, in the modern era, to be aware of what way the wind is blowing. I have no doubt that he is aware of trending views. That does not mean that he has to be led by them.

No I never said that. Just he's aware of fans viewpoints and acknowledges them as opposed to other managers who seem to ignore what we all cry about. I don't think he bases any football decisions on it but he explains his decisions because he's aware of the fans doubts.

Ah ok, my bad sorry.

Do you think its a good thing or a bad thing if he is aware of what we think?

I guess previous managers like Roy and Rafa (towards the end) could have done with taking more on board from fans. Pressure makes people a little blinkered and its harder to see your own vision when it piles up.

I want Rodgers to be his own man and stick to his plan, which i think he will do as he was under a little bit of pressure at the start and he didn't just rip up everything he believed in because results went against us.

Everyone wanted a plan B, but he didn't recall Andy Carroll so we could play differently. He stuck to his guns, recognised players like Allen had lost form and took them out of the team.

I like his comments today, so many managers make wholesale changes and it fucks up the squad. He is looking for a certain type of player to fit, and not just buying players for the sake of replacing others.

If only we had done this 10+ years ago, buy 1 or 2 top quality players each summer, we would be miles ahead of where we are right now. Instead we had to endure degan, voronin, palletta, poulson, Diao, Cheyrou, Diomede, Camara, Song, Vignal, Traore, kromkamp, nunez, gonzales, dossena, leto etc etc

Fuck me, its no wonder we have struggled for years in the league.

Many would say that's simply pandering to public opinion, in much the same way politicians do, but regardless of the pros and cons of that, at least it suggests a manager who KNOWS what fans think. Many don't (or certainly don't appear to).

But back on topic... winning the league....

In my opinion, there's a two stage process to winning the league (as things stand)...

1) Getting into general 'contention'.

This is hard enough on it's own. Essentially it's akin to 'top 4'. For the past decade (and longer) there's really been only a handful of potential winners at the start of the season, and the winners have only come from that pot. In reality, those 4 candidates rapidly become 3, or 2.

There simply doesn't seem to be any realistic hope of being a top 6 team who then become champions without first getting a foothold on the top 4.

Even with pots of cash, it still takes a few years to get there.

2) The actual 'genuine' challenge.

Being in the nominal list of 'candidates' at the start of the season is one thing, but actually delivering week in, week out is another. And it starts with home performances being the bedrock.

"To get anything from <insert ground> is a bonus" has to be the thought process of the opposing team. An awful lot of teams will go to Old Trafford and play for a draw (and end up losing). Not many will go for a win.

It used to be like that at Anfield. It was a dreaded ground and only the foolhardy would predict anything other than a Liverpool win.

Once the home form is absolutely solid, the team gains confidence, the fans are behind them, and as if by magic, they start getting results away from home too...

You need a deep squad, and a fair amount of luck (few injuries, 'even' set of ref decisions) etc.

THEN you're in with a shout.

I think it's a tall order for Liverpool to win the league in the next 5 years (which is at best, as long as most managers could hope to last for). That's not to say they can't do it... but as it looks today (to an outsider) Liverpool fall into the same boat as Spurs and Arsenal... however:

Spurs look good, and they're on the way up (seemingly)

Arsenal look decent, but they look on the way down

Liverpool look decent, but they look on the way up

If we accept that United aren't going away, and that City and Chelsea are likely to be top 4 regulars, that makes 6 teams for any given season trying to be champions, and again, only 2 or 3 with any genuine hope.

It's just so very hard to see much changing in terms of who wins the league.

If Liverpool can get back in the top 4, and start to enjoy the CL money again, THEN I think they'll need a wave of investment on the pitch to mount a serious challenge.

But for me, that's (maybe) 4-5 years away, and by then, I suspect Rodgers will be gone. Not because he'll have done a bad job, but simply because that's how football is these days.

Ah ok, my bad sorry.

Do you think its a good thing or a bad thing if he is aware of what we think?

I guess previous managers like Roy and Rafa (towards the end) could have done with taking more on board from fans. Pressure makes people a little blinkered and its harder to see your own vision when it piles up.

I want Rodgers to be his own man and stick to his plan, which i think he will do as he was under a little bit of pressure at the start and he didn't just rip up everything he believed in because results went against us.

Everyone wanted a plan B, but he didn't recall Andy Carroll so we could play differently. He stuck to his guns, recognised players like Allen had lost form and took them out of the team.

I like his comments today, so many managers make wholesale changes and it fucks up the squad. He is looking for a certain type of player to fit, and not just buying players for the sake of replacing others.

If only we had done this 10+ years ago, buy 1 or 2 top quality players each summer, we would be miles ahead of where we are right now. Instead we had to endure degan, voronin, palletta, poulson, Diao, Cheyrou, Diomede, Camara, Song, Vignal, Traore, kromkamp, nunez, gonzales, dossena, leto etc etc

Fuck me, its no wonder we have struggled for years in the league.

you fucking idiot i hope your family gets aids you inbred cunt

you fucking idiot i hope your family gets aids you inbred cunt

Rogers built on Martinezs work.

Lambert is a Scot and all his work is his own, Norwich fucking beasted us, we were rabbits in the headlights, reminded me of the way we beat Juve is 05.

Sadly, Im not sure hes actually on the shortlist, hes getting little mention in the media or by our fans, its all RM and BR. Overlooked.

Do not appoint mongs living off their playing careers, Laudrup, Descamps or Klinnsman.

Fuck that shit. Fuck it in the ass

Hahahahahhah

What the fuck?!

You liked lambert and obviously prefered Martinez over Rodgers. Two managers currently scraping it out for relegation.

Then you dismiss Luadrup who has won swansea's first every trophy and is only 5 points behind us?

Shut the fuck up, you know nothing.