You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Rodgers becoming a laughing stock?

Megadrive Man

Can't blame old John and his lovely missus for preferring the delights of Fort Myers beach to the fucking rain of the north of England.

They live in Florida in Boca Raton, they spend parts of the year in their house in Brookline.

His last attended match at Anfield was probably 28.01.12, anything after that was either in London or at the Academy.

"In what mess did he get us out of? We finished 8th in the league last season. 8th. 17 points from Tottenham. If 8th and winning the league cup is acceptable in your world then that's fine. Not in mine. In the even wider context who seriously is going to sign for the "Capitol Cup" winners, over the Champions League placed teams. Winning trophies is all good and well if it actually benefits in the long term, did the cup win last year?"

That's what he said. 8th and winning the League Cup isn't acceptable. You deemed this to be spot on.

If the standards/expectations have lowered significantly from last season, then why? And what would you deem to be unacceptable this year?

Personally, I wouldn't deem much to be unacceptable this year as ripping up the mandate and starting again would be counter-productive. FSG have their man in charge, now stick by him for a prolonged period and let him do his job. Or give him enough rope to hang himself. One season isn't enough.

The measurement of success by which they judged Kenny is neither here nor there now.

I'm backing the manager. (Not that that will make any difference whatsoever!) But I think he needs a second season to see how we go. I suspect this season will be about the same as last in terms of league position (maybe one or two places better, but not threatening top four). He will need the summer window, time with the players, and then we will see more clearly if progress is being made next season.

We are short of a good defensive coach. Rodgers needs one, badly. Then he also needs to buy one or two key players in the summer, largely so we don't get overrun so much through the middle. The way it is going, we will need to score three a game to get a win. I'm not advocating sterile, defensive football, as I quite like the attacking impetus we have. But...

Let's get a bit of balance, Brendan lad, and then kick on next season with a proper push for top four.

I can't help but think Rodgers brings half this shite upon himself. Wish he'd stop thinking acceptable results are some acts of genius and we are all priveledge to witness his mastery of the game only for him to try and be too clever and it backfires, he then sheepishly says it won't happen in the future when the players are truly on my genius like wavelength. He shouldn't be under such scrutiny so early its just so frustrating we really do have some good players but they look totally un at ease in this system, when they have the ball its okay usually they remember they have played this sport their whole lives, off the ball its like whoa who the fucks supposed to be doing what. He shouldn't of got the job but he has it. I support the team regardless but I don't have to like what's happening. He can't get very good international players playing like they have played before im unsure how him buying slightly worse players will improve the situation. Some times it doesn't matter how much time you have if your pissing into the wind you'll still get the same outcome.

I can't help but think Rodgers brings half this shite upon himself. Wish he'd stop thinking acceptable results are some acts of genius and we are all priveledge to witness his mastery of the game only for him to try and be too clever and it backfires, he then sheepishly says it won't happen in the future when the players are truly on my genius like wavelength. He shouldn't be under such scrutiny so early its just so frustrating we really do have some good players but they look totally un at ease in this system, when they have the ball its okay usually they remember they have played this sport their whole lives, off the ball its like whoa who the fucks supposed to be doing what. He shouldn't of got the job but he has it. I support the team regardless but I don't have to like what's happening. He can't get very good international players playing like they have played before im unsure how him buying slightly worse players will improve the situation. Some times it doesn't matter how much time you have if your pissing into the wind you'll still get the same outcome.

Ouch!

I can't really fault that.

I too am backing Brendan. The same process that appointed him is still here, if he goes, any upgrade would be by luck rather than judgement. If we are relying on luck i hope that Brendan gets lucky.

Guest davelfc
im unsure how him buying slightly worse players will improve the situation. Some times it doesn't matter how much time you have if your pissing into the wind you'll still get the same outcome.

If I was a cynic then I'd suggest that those players might have less lofty ambitions and lower wages.

To balance the current players have high ambitions and higher wage packets and they're not doing much better.

Brendan Rodgers calls for Liverpool to sign 'some men' this summer | Football | The Guardian

Brendan Rodgers has told Liverpool's owner, Fenway Sports Group, the club needs to buy "some men" this summer to eradicate the lapses that have plagued his debut season at Anfield.

Missed opportunities and defensive errors again cost Liverpool on Thursday when losing 2-0 at Zenit St Petersburg in the Europa League, leading Rodgers to question the mentality of the squad and strengthen his calls for greater character. Ashley Williams, the Swansea City defender who will oppose Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday, is one such target for Rodgers, though he may have to convince FSG to sanction a move for a 28-year-old to prise the Wales captain from his former club.

Liverpool have failed to challenge for a top-four place this season and a Europa League exit to Zenit would end their prospects of a trophy. The manager believes it is the calibre of signing, not the quantity, that will instigate an improvement.

Rodgers said: "The biggest thing we need this summer is to bring in some men, some character that allows and supports the other men to see the games out. That is the biggest thing for me. Look at Jamie Carragher. He is our best defender, he is 35, but we are losing that character. That has to be replaced somehow.

"I also think there are other areas of the team that need improving. They have to be established players and they have to have that hunger, that is the key thing."

Liverpool's managing director, Ian Ayre, has denied that FSG has implemented a rigid policy of signing only young players under Rodgers, although the club have not bought anyone over 24 since he became manager. Liverpool paid £8.5m for 20-year-old Philippe Coutinho last month, after Rodgers admitted there was a need for experienced leaders, and doubts remain over the extent of the manager's influence on transfer policy.

He added: "That is something we will talk about at the end of the season, when we identify where the improvements have to be made. Personally, I just want the best team. Whether that is senior players, youth players, or the best, which is the mixture. I always like to give young players hope but in order to do that they need that bit of experience alongside them."

Rodgers insisted that Liverpool will not require "wholesale changes" this summer, citing the impact of the £12m January signing Daniel Sturridge as a lesson in "improving key areas if we are going to make the jumps we need to make.

"It is not something I'll talk about now," said the Liverpool manager. "Martin Skrtel came into the team against Zenit and did well. I gave him a new contract in the summer because I had faith in him. This has been a difficult but a real eye-opening period in terms of coming into a club with such ambition.". Yet with Carragher retiring, Liverpool open to offers for Sebastián Coates, and Skrtel out of favour, Rodgers could require three new signings in central defence alone.

"I don't think massive surgery is needed. Maybe if we had a few more of Daniel Sturridge's capacity in the group that could set us up. Technically we have shown we are very capable, tactically we have not been found wanting like in the recent two games against Arsenal and Man City. The condition and intensity of their work is high so that only leaves one thing – mentality.

"That is the area which needs to improve and to do that we need character."

Liverpool host Rodgers' former club Swansea in a re-arranged Premier League fixture on Sunday with Joe Allen, his £15m signing from the Liberty Stadium, admitting he is struggling to understand the first dip in form of his career.

The Wales international said: "I don't think it is a secret that I have not had my best spell in recent times. I haven't performed but I am working hard and striving to change that. I think it is the first time I have had to deal with a dip in form like this. These are things that you have to overcome. It probably takes a little longer than you would hope but it is down to myself. I am self-critical and that is why my form hasn't improved as quickly as I would have liked."