You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Pistonbroke

Well the expected pain for our bowlers came, India finish day 3 on 391/4 just 86 runs behind. I wouldn't be surprised to see them get 600+ from here and we get to see us flapping on day 4/5 before succumbing to yet another innings and defeat. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Terrible cricket to watch. Absolutely nothing in these pitches at all.

There'll be enough in the wicket when it comes to us batting again at the end of day 4/day 5, you watch us flap then mate. Could be the second game on the trot where we have posted a 400 first innings score and gone on to lose by an innings and some, that would be some special kind of shit on the two pitches to have achieved that.

I'm normally positive when it comes to the Cricket as we have been a very good test team over the last decade and have brought through some cracking players. However, Cook is past his sell by date as far as Captaincy goes and we are still shite against spin away from home. The Bangladesh mini tour could have easily been a 2-0 whitewash and this a 5-0 whitewash if we hadn't drawn that first test. 

This happens far too much under Cook., big partnerships easy runs and games that just meander along from the first ball of an innings.

Yes I know we are away in one of the most difficult places to play and I know we haven't a class spinner but Cooks captaincy is appalling in these sort of situations it's like he just hopes for them to slip up rather then be proactive

Make the batsmen have to earn thier runs make them have to score them in areas where they don't want to be imaginative in your field placings which is what you have do when the opposition is better than you are.....

This happens far too much under Cook., big partnerships easy runs and games that just meander along from the first ball of an innings.

Yes I know we are away in one of the most difficult places to play and I know we haven't a class spinner but Cooks captaincy is appalling in these sort of situations it's like he just hopes for them to slip up rather then be proactive

Make the batsmen have to earn thier runs make them have to score them in areas where they don't want to be imaginative in your field placings which is what you have do when the opposition is better than you are.....

Cook's captaincy is appalling in all situations. He's an appalling captain. It's masked when Broad and Anderson are swinging the ball round corners, but when they're not Cook looks like the captain he is. One that doesn't have any idea what he's doing.

Guest Pistonbroke

Cook's captaincy is appalling in all situations. He's an appalling captain. It's masked when Broad and Anderson are swinging the ball round corners, but when they're not Cook looks like the captain he is. One that doesn't have any idea what he's doing.

He relies on a good spell from a bowler, if he has to go looking for wickets he is fucked. 

It's quite a unique position in sport being a cricket captain because the balance between captain and manager/head coach is so different to most other team sports. In f**tball, rugby, etc, it's far more about how you conduct yourself, leading by example, maintaining the spirit and belief of the team, that sort of stuff. Tactics aren't really something they have much influence on (it would be virtually impossible with the pace of the games anyway). So I always find it fucking staggering when you see cricket captains, at the highest level, that have seemingly so few of the attributes required. Cook has been captain for four and a half years, how has he learnt so little?

I'm not exaggerating when I say that I think there are literally thousands of club cricket captains up and down the country that would do a better job (obviously they wouldn't get many runs with the bat!).

Cook is obviously not a natural captain, he's only skipper because he's the most experienced/best player and the fact that there has been no other contender for the last few years. I think now is the time for Root to take over, let him have next summer to prepare for the Ashes. If Cook keeps the captaincy at this point it's only because his mate is the boss.

Fuck, what a game in the end! From being 8/67 in the first innings, following Australia's 1st innings of 429, Pakistan have just been dismissed for 450, only 40 short of what would have been comfortably the greatest run chase in history, but still one of the highest 4th innings totals ever. This match basically showed the best and worst of Pakistani cricket. 

Fuck, what a game in the end! From being 8/67 in the first innings, following Australia's 1st innings of 429, Pakistan have just been dismissed for 450, only 40 short of what would have been comfortably the greatest run chase in history, but still one of the highest 4th innings totals ever. This match basically showed the best and worst of Pakistani cricket. 

They're very rarely "quite good". 

India over a 100 ahead at Tea, I think when Nair gets his 200 England will be put back in...

I'm going for 4 wickets down by stumps???

They'll leave about three quarters of an hour to bowl at us, and probably have a lead of about 200. 

They're going at, fuck knows, eight an over or something like that now. Might as well do any batting they may have to do now. Although with how flat the wicket is, it shouldn't make any difference when they do it.

Jennings the pick of the bowlers today, and Cook looks like he's going to cry. 

What's odds can you get on an India victory at the moment?

They don't need to push for the win but if Kohli declares with a lead of around 150, they have a bowling attack that has had a breather and a bit of time today to make things uncomfortable for an England side prone to gifting wickets, and then 3 sessions tomorrow to get the job done. England look shattered and clearly want to come back home.