You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I'm a snob but missing out? I don't think so.

Apart from Crazy her songs are dull, Paul. It's also the reason I don't watch X Factor, despite them giving their heart and soul. I honestly gave her a chance last night (yep lucky old her) but all she was doing was doing some jiggy with 2 women who had better legs that her. Is that music? Is it? I lasted two tracks and turned it off. If I want to watch a cabaret act with legs I'll go to a can can.

But mate, you are missing out in a literal sense because, by your own admission, you didn't listen to stuff due to your preconceptions. I have absolutely no problem with people thinking an act is shite (I hold strongly negative views about loads of music); what's self-defeating though is to write stuff off without even bothering to listen.

Of course one can make assumptions about taste based on favourite genres, but I don't think it's possible to make definitive statements without experience to back it up. I discovered many, many years ago that my teenage snobbery about what was credible and what wasn't meant I was missing out. I soon stopped that nonsense and starting judging for myself.

At the end of the day, it's all subjective and about personal taste (which I always respect) - but at least try listening first. For example, to say all her songs are dull suggests to me that you've never truly listened to Bootylicious. Either that or you've heard it so many times you've forgotten just how musically original its structure was when it first came out. As I said, it might not be to your taste, but doing something that no one else is doing is far from dull. In fact, it's one of my favourite things in music.

Aye when she was likening Beyonce to Parliament, George Clinton and erm punk it was hilarious watching him shake his head.

Btw, has Radcliffe been possessed by Peel's ghost. Freaky.

She was making a valid point in my view, albeit one that was slightly exaggerated by her passion. I'm loathe to get too poncey about this because it is only pop music after all. However, she was quite clearly moved by being a former woman in the music business seeing another woman make it, in one very narrow definition of the term, to the very top.

Laverne was spot on about the cultural and historical resonance of Beyonce's show though. To dismiss her act because of the showmanship is to fundamentally ignore or dismiss a huge aspect of black music culture. James Brown was renowned for his super-tight band and heavily choreographed performances and black music is littered with artists in a similar vein right up to Prince and, at this very festival, Janelle Monae.

The two things I most admire in people in any field (beyond basic human kindness and decency) are prodigious talent and great passion and Beyonce undeniably has both. The fact that I can take or leave many of her tunes is irrelevant to the respect I have for her in that context.

I thought her show was slick, professional and becoming a bit dull until two things hit me hard: firstly the huge statements she was making about being black and female at the end of the performance were moving, in my view; and secondly, the massive connection she was obviously making with her audience was likewise. Loads of people knew every single word of songs I've never heard before (and I do pay some attention to Beyonce's music) and were belting them out with tears in their eyes.

At it's very best, music is a deeply emotional thing for people and I can't dismiss what I saw last night out of hand just because it didn't quite push all my own buttons.

Beyonce putting on a proper fucking show. Shame about the mic problems for Crazy In Love and for Tricky's mic on Baby Boy. However, she can sing, she can dance and the crowd are lapping it up. Love the fact that everyone who (incorrectly) thought Glastonbury was only for a certain type of music and a certain type of punter have been well and truly proved wrong between her and her husband.

I'm not a massive fan of hers (although I do like the funky side of things), but I love the idea of her headlining this and doing it properly. First ever woman to headline apparently. Ace.

Nah. Skin headlined the Sunday ten years ago.

mNQ1UyptsJw

That is a voice.

Beyonce is just a pop act, her tunes are no ore foottapable than ABBA. I can see no influence of funk icons - if sampling the Chilites is influence then every act that rips off a riff can make a similar claim (good news for Credit to the Nation), jeez the covers I heard were safe mor stuff by Alanis Morisette and KoL. To use her in the same breath as Prince and James Brown misses how groundbreaking they were.

I'd forgotten Kenickie and have no wish to recall them. Laverne reminded me last night of how she tries to keep up with her co-hosts on the Culture Show and 10 o'clock Show - and fails miserably.

Beyonce is just a pop act, her tunes are no ore foottapable than ABBA. I can see no influence of funk icons - if sampling the Chilites is influence then every act that rips off a riff can make a similar claim (good news for Credit to the Nation), jeez the covers I heard were safe mor stuff by Alanis Morisette and KoL. To use her in the same breath as Prince and James Brown misses how groundbreaking they were.I'd forgotten Kenickie and have no wish to recall them. Laverne reminded me last night of how she tries to keep up with her co-hosts on the Culture Show and 10 o'clock Show - and fails miserably.

Spot on.

Bit disappointed they do not show more from the smaller stages.

There is so much talent out there playing every year in the other stages.

I would love to see the Soul Clap set or Nicolas Jaar with band for example.

I think Paul being overwhelmed by Beyonce is just an indication of how arl arse he is despite layin down some quality tunes in Beats & Pieces.

But Paul, I havent got time to listen to stuff I'm not keen on. There's too much other stuff that I would like to seek out but if someone points out a good track I'll give it a listen.

Crazy like that is a good song but it doesnt do anything for me mainly because I dont like her voice. And lets face it, if you have trouble with someones voice there aint no track that's gonna improve that. I havent heard anything else from her that tickles my fancy. And I dont get all the Jay Zed thing, and I'm happy about it.

I like Toxic by the way. Cos that's a great song. Just say I can do chart.

Anyway, for the QotSA fans, most of the set is being played on Gideons 6 music show tonight after 10:00.

Beyonce is just a pop act, her tunes are no ore foottapable than ABBA. I can see no influence of funk icons - if sampling the Chilites is influence then every act that rips off a riff can make a similar claim (good news for Credit to the Nation), jeez the covers I heard were safe mor stuff by Alanis Morisette and KoL. To use her in the same breath as Prince and James Brown misses how groundbreaking they were.

Just as to deliberately misconstrue the point misses the argument (although I'm not sure what ground Prince broke that Jimi Hendrix, James Brown and Little Richard hadn't covered before). I specifically referred to the culture and tradition of black music in defence of the criticisms of her putting on a show. At no point did I compare her in terms of quality. My issue is not with Beyonce as I'm in no way a fan; I just like a few of her tunes. It was a broader point about my perception of the snobbery of loads of lads who seem to criticise anything that isn't other lads with guitars - especially at Glastonbury.

And speaking of which, I've just watched the QOTSA highlights. Josh Homme's voice is perfect for what they do. Can anyone recommend me a good starting point for them please?

But Paul, I havent got time to listen to stuff I'm not keen on. There's too much other stuff that I would like to seek out but if someone points out a good track I'll give it a listen.

And that attitude is one I have zero problem with, Nick. So if it's what you really think, stop calling yourself a snob because you patently aren't one.

Guest TK-421

And speaking of which, I've just watched the QOTSA highlights. Josh Homme's voice is perfect for what they do. Can anyone recommend me a good starting point for them please?

"Rated R" and "Songs for the Deaf" will see you right, mate. If you dig those then check out "Sweet Oblivion" by The Screaming Trees - you won't regret it!

One more gone. Just Stu to defeat . . .

O RLY?

Incidentally, if it had been anyone else I might have had a different reaction but the fact that she quite blatantly trolled Zane Lowe on national TV only increases the esteem in which I hold her. His reaction was pretty funny though, credit where it's due.

Songs for the deaf is probably the album that most fans who've followed them for a while would say it their favourite but I think I'd suggest Lullabies to Paralyze for someone wanting to dip their toe in the water.

I'd also suggest, to you specifically, The Desert Sessions. It's an album that Homme and his mates did with the likes of PJ Harvey. Very cool stuff.

IF56Q4SyLtU&feature=related

W4O3LnDsPik

"Rated R" and "Songs for the Deaf" will see you right, mate. If you dig those then check out "Sweet Oblivion" by The Screaming Trees - you won't regret it!

Spot on. Anyone who likes these albums should also check out Mark Lanegan's solo album, 'Bubblegum' - a superb record by one of the all-time great vocalists. Missed QOTSA last night, was Lanegan with them?

I just have to say that Pulp were fucking awesome.

The Eels where also very good.

Primal Scream owned it Friday night but there was not a big crowd there. I had a rave to Chemical Brothers who where fantastic and not a act I would think about going watching but I like a few of there songs and loved it. I had not really listen to Queens of the Stone Age before but after that I am going to get into them.

I also really like Laura Marling, Naked and Famous and Morrissey.

The Wu Tang Clan had the crowd loving them. Why was the lead dude rocking the Arther Dent look?

Saw Orbital on Saturday night who would not usually be my cup of tea but they played the Dr Who theme and as a massive geek I loved it.

I'm dead but it was worth it.

Pure confusion over our coach with us supposed to be leaving midnight from the empire only for another group to get on before us, only to be told the one we got on wouldnt be going to pick people up in anfield. after many calls and loads of arguing we go to anfield and get the others ( I wish we hadnt bothered)

Got to glasto about half 6 and had to wait to get in but once in we bombed it to our normal speck only to be drenched by the downpours.

The weather wrecked head, rainy days and then a roasting hot last day.

U2 were dreadful, Coldplay were immense and Beyonce smashed it despite me not liking her music she put on a boss show, i've never seen the pramid so busy and i've seen Oasis, Macca, The Boss and Neil young on there.

There were loads of scousers down there and if it keeps up with the scally element going down i'll pack in going

Some of the behaviour made me ashamed to be from here at times.

Roll on 2013!

Saw Orbital on Saturday night who would not usually be my cup of tea but they played the Dr Who theme and as a massive geek I loved it.

How great is that tune? Just when you think it's over..... BANG.

There were loads of scousers down there and if it keeps up with the scally element going down i'll pack in going

Some of the behaviour made me ashamed to be from here at times.

One of the reasons I stopped. And I'm not kidding. I got pulled up by the police coming home the last time I went, and he was asking me about the festival. I told him there were too many Scousers there. He laughed thinking I was being ironic. I wasn't. Turning people over all over the place. Horrible.

I heard about the Justice flag this year, though. Great stuff.

Anyone care to bet Janelle Monae sells another hundred thousand albums in the next few weeks after that?

They said on the radio yesterday that her sales have gone up by 1500% since her set. You can include me in those that have bought it; I had it on my wishlist for months after the rave reviews it got on here but as with all things out my music comfort zone I tread lightly so never bought it. Having seen her performance though I've no doubts I'll enjoy the album.

206cu1e.png

1. Hurts Like Heaven

2. Yellow

3. In My Place

4. Major Minus

5. Lost!

6. The Scientist

7. Shiver

8. Violet Hill

9. God Put A Smile Upon Your Face (New Version)

10. Everything's Not Lost

11. Us Against The World

12. Politik

13. Viva La Vida

14. Charlie Brown

15. Life Is For Living

16. Clocks

17. Fix You

18. Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ed8pp4