You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Niall Ferguson

Just been on Radio 2 with Simon Mayo, on about the Queens visit to Ireland, and how she should be inviting the Republic back in to the Union in view of their money problems, and basically slating the EU whilst kissing the giant ass of the US!

Also described David Cameron and Gideon Fucking Osborne as wonderful!!

I'd just like to state at this juncture that Niall Ferguson is a fucking cunt!!!

Rant over, feel free to delete this mods!

BBC NEWS | The Reporters | Evan Davis

If Scotland were independent, it could expect to lose the UK funded public spending; but it could expect to gain the oil money. In the short term, that's the fiscal choice Scotland would be making if it decided to leave the UK and go it alone.

As it happens, the choice is a fairly balanced one at the moment. The oil money Westminster takes, more or less pays for the "extra" public spending Scotland enjoys.

I'll give you the exact figures on which I base this claim as I know these things are much argued about and are very fraught.

The oil money in the fiscal year just ending would be worth £8.6 billion to Scotland, assuming that the Nationalists are right in asserting the country would keep 95% of the total UK £9.1 billion oil revenues.

The public spending "bonus" that Scotland was budgeted to enjoy in the 2005/06 year (the latest available) was worth about £1,500 per person. That was the difference between per capita government spending in Scotland and in England. Multiply that up by Scotland's 5.1 million people (and multiply it up by about 6.2% to bring it forward to 2006/07). In total, the public spending bonus on my calculation then comes out at £8.1 billion.

So - loosely speaking - Scotland gives the UK £8.6 billion of oil money, and the UK gives Scotland £8.1 billion of extra public spending.

BBC NEWS | The Reporters | Evan Davis

If Scotland were independent, it could expect to lose the UK funded public spending; but it could expect to gain the oil money. In the short term, that's the fiscal choice Scotland would be making if it decided to leave the UK and go it alone.

As it happens, the choice is a fairly balanced one at the moment. The oil money Westminster takes, more or less pays for the "extra" public spending Scotland enjoys.

I'll give you the exact figures on which I base this claim as I know these things are much argued about and are very fraught.

The oil money in the fiscal year just ending would be worth £8.6 billion to Scotland, assuming that the Nationalists are right in asserting the country would keep 95% of the total UK £9.1 billion oil revenues.

The public spending "bonus" that Scotland was budgeted to enjoy in the 2005/06 year (the latest available) was worth about £1,500 per person. That was the difference between per capita government spending in Scotland and in England. Multiply that up by Scotland's 5.1 million people (and multiply it up by about 6.2% to bring it forward to 2006/07). In total, the public spending bonus on my calculation then comes out at £8.1 billion.

So - loosely speaking - Scotland gives the UK £8.6 billion of oil money, and the UK gives Scotland £8.1 billion of extra public spending.

Hear one when thing was going good. (pre 2008)

Scotland would stand alone at its peril - Times Online

The same could be said about the North of England. Economic growth is confined to the relatively small south east.

If it was costing England money to feed and look after the poor Scots The tories would have ditched the Union years ago.

They know that a strong Scotland with many decades of Oil revenue left, a huge potential to become the Saudi of renewables and the ability to set its own tax levels will be threat to England.

True.... only differnce they be sponging off the EU; they would be begging to join the euro.

and who are net contributers to the european budget? England amongst others so it doesn't really matter what they do although with europe taking in poorer countries than Scotland they will might find the money they recieve per person drop just as european funding to Merseyside has, you have to argue the case your area is poorer than somewhere in eastern europe!

The same could be said about the North of England. Economic growth is confined to the relatively small south east.

If it was costing England money to feed and look after the poor Scots The tories would have ditched the Union years ago.

They know that a strong Scotland with many decades of Oil revenue left, a huge potential to become the Saudi of renewables and the ability to set its own tax levels will be threat to England.

I do find it funny everytime the Tores take power the SNP call for Independence grow stronger, as for the Scottish oil, its also Norwegian, Denmark & UK oil. do you think they will give it up? Would Scotland give it up if the Orkney Islands wanted Independence?

Or we could argue that the rest of the country/union subsidise London

To return to the OP's topic - Niall Ferguson is, indeed, a cunt.

I had the misfortune to read his Empire a few years ago. Utter shite.

seen him on question time thought he was a nob on that, was all for this tightening of our belts eg struggling but I'm sure he;ll be fine like.

seen him on question time thought he was a nob on that, was all for this tightening of our belts eg struggling but I'm sure he;ll be fine like.

Particularly as he lives in the USA, screwing them for brewsters as he does the college lecture circuit. A right-wing twat of the most smug kind.

I do find it funny everytime the Tores take power the SNP call for Independence grow stronger, as for the Scottish oil, its also Norwegian, Denmark & UK oil. do you think they will give it up? Would Scotland give it up if the Orkney Islands wanted Independence?

Its hardly surprising that the calls for independence grow louder when the tories are in as they have virtually no support in Scotland. An entire nation is having policies thrust upon them that noone voted for.

The spectacular SNP result this time was purely a result of the traditional liberals abandoning the Lib dems and is not per se a vote in favour of independence.

Other peculiar thing to note is why the tories are so keen to keep Scotland as part of the Union when if Scotland where to leave it would make it far more likely that the Conservation Party would win elections in Westminster. Scotland being traditionally a Labour stronghold.

In terms of oil if it is in Scotlands territorial waters it is Scottish, if it is in Norways it is Norwegian. In terms of giving it up to Orkney and even Shetland that is a bit silly.