You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granted I have not seen much of him, but the little I have seen clearly tells me that he should have been given more chances than he already has.

If we dont give him those chances I think we will regret it as compared to some of the dross we have been given loads of playing time this year Pacheco is on a different level, but unless he gets the chance to play together with better players over a consistent period we wil never know.

You reach a stage at youth/reserve level where the development stops and the truth is that you dont have to be the most impresseive player at youth7reserve level at all to become the one who will blossom into a quality player among better players.

We have wasted Pacheco as he has those abilities that will flourish together with better players, but for him to develop he needs playing time and he needs it now.

A good move for him if true.

I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing this is not just another case of "too small for the prem" syndrome.

Pacheco absolutely destroyed everyone in his age group in the u19's when I watched him and he had all the attributes other than strength which didn't hold him back due to his low centre of gravity.

I think given a regular run he would be perfect in our system to play off the main striker on the left side with Suarez doing likewise on the right.

I also remember him closing down the ball an awful lot so I doubt it's his mentality.

I always said Pongolle deserved a chance to at least be a regular squad player here and he proved it and has gone on to do well in Spain without setting the world alight. Why Pacheco couldn't be seen as an option for us is a strange one.

I know he's only 20 but if you never try, you never know.

He was very highly thought of in spain by Barcelona especially of course and he has a few admirers that will no doubt be watching his progress here, or lack there of.

You say that Code, but in his admittedly limited outings for the first team, he's done nothing at all to suggest that he's anything above ordinary. If you judged players on their reserve performances, people would think that Neil Mellor was the second coming of Marco Van Bastern.

I think he has been really good the few times he has got his chances, but that obviously depends on what you are looking for.

He was very highly thought of in spain by Barcelona especially of course

Not highly enough to keep hold of him.

I'm not saying he is not talented but 3 different managers haven't given him a go, so maybe the answer lies at his door.

He has only just signed a new contract though, so clearly he must be happy enough. Either that, or he had no other options.

This guy was voted the best player in the tournament he played in the summer.

Surely he can get a better loan than Norwich?

He might not be good enough to be in our team, but he is competing with Meireles, Gerrard, Suarez in his position.

He is good enough for a Premiership team though or even La Liga, where his stock should be high and it should suit his game more, I would have thought. But maybe they don't want to take the risk in this period of the season where every point counts.

He certainly needs games though and if he isn't getting them here he needs to go on loan somewhere.

It has nothing to do with his age (KK has no problem playing Kelly and Jonjo), or what he has looked like in youth setups or the reserves. Until he is seen as the best option - which clearly he is not - he will not play - might as well go somewhere else where he can.

What is the main difference between them at a first glance though?

Not highly enough to keep hold of him.

I'm not saying he is not talented but 3 different managers haven't given him a go, so maybe the answer lies at his door.

He has only just signed a new contract though, so clearly he must be happy enough. Either that, or he had no other options.

That's like saying that Fabregas wasn't good enough because Wenger nicked him off them.

They had little to no choice in the matter.

I seem to remember an article at the time where the Barca youth coach was unhappy that he'd lost his "best player".

He was young enough under Rafa where you could see why he wouldn't want to throw him in to the point where right or wrong there was a reasonable doubt. He actually was given a chance under Hodgson all be it fleeting and hopefully he will get a chance under Kenny at some point.

I'm pretty sure that at a lot of clubs at 17 Fabregas would have been sat in the reserves or loaned out but Wenger gives his players the belief and knowledge that they can get into the first team at any age.

We used to do the same.

Hopefully this is a case of Kenny and Comolli identifying that Pacheco is behind in where he should be not due to himself but poor management and this loan spell is merely similar to Wenger sending Wilshere to Bolton to ease him in.

It has nothing to do with his age (KK has no problem playing Kelly and Jonjo), or what he has looked like in youth setups or the reserves. Until he is seen as the best option - which clearly he is not - he will not play - might as well go somewhere else where he can.

Big, physical lads who grew up and learned to play their football in England.

He should and at more youth driven sides would have been given more playing time for the first team, even if it were just in the league cup.

I am willing to ignore Hodgson's opinion on anyone and anything, however, there has to be a reason Kenny isn't picking him and it has to be because he doesn't rate him.

But, to be fair, Spearing benefited from going to Leicester at the end of the season last time around. Maybe the same will happen for Pacheco.

I was thinking more along the lines of this.

Kelly- 6ft 4 in ( 1,93 m )

Shelvey - 6 ft 1 in ( 1,86m )

Pacheco- 5 ft 6 in ( 1,68m )

I know but I do not think it has anything to do with it. Pacheco plays in a position, and in a style - that is often filled by a small quick player.

Spearing is a lil fella and he has gotten a run out. It has to be about something more than just his height.