You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Good night of boxing. I did score Burns by 6 rounds or so, thought he had the cleaner shots all night. Great performance.

George Groves did well. It was a good punch, not a lucky punch, but Smigger was unlucky to catch one like that if you know what I mean.

What a punch, time's up for Smith, should never have fought at that weight.

Exactly, why oh why is he allowed to compete at super middle, he's clearly too small for that division, he should be boxing at middle

Stunning right hand by Groves though, that would have knocked most super middleweights out

And excellent punditry on boxnation, Bunce is just hilarious

Exactly, why oh why is he allowed to compete at super middle, he's clearly too small for that division, he should be boxing at middle

Stunning right hand by Groves though, that would have knocked most super middleweights out

And excellent punditry on boxnation, Bunce is just hilarious

I am hoping the stand-off between BoxNation & Virgin Media goes on and on as long as it means the free streams keep coming.

Have you ever seen Buncey's interview with Bernard Hopkins ( I think it was in the run up to the Calzaghe fight ). They are alone in Hopkins' training caravan ( other than the cameraman presumably ) and Bernard doesn't get Buncey's sense of humour & thinks he is taking the piss & it looks like he is going to batter him & Buncey shits himself.

It's hilarious.

Boxing: Frank Warren hints of Ricky Burns’ bout with Alex Arthur

By Martin Hannan

Published on Monday 7 November 2011 02:51

Following Ricky Burns’ stunning victory against favourite Michael Katsidis at London’s Wembley Arena on Saturday night, promoter Frank Warren held out the possibility that former world super-featherweight champion Alex Arthur, of Edinburgh, could meet Burns now that both men are lightweights.

Suggesting also John Murray and Kevin Mitchell as possible English opponents, Warren said: “I think the man from Edinburgh would fancy it, and what a local derby that would be. I would like Ricky’s next fight to be in Scotland early in the New Year, once he has had a well-earned rest, and there are a number of possible opponents.”

Burns’ trainer Billy Nelson poured scorn on the idea of his protege meeting Arthur but had no doubt that, if it happened, west would beat east this time around, Arthur having inflicted his first professional defeat on Burns at Meadowbank in 2006. “Ricky is only interested in fighting the best lightweights around and Alex Arthur is not in that category at the moment,” said Nelson. “In any case, Ricky would smash him to smithereens.”

More likely is a match-up against Mitchell, holder of the WBO inter-continental lightweight belt and therefore the logical next opponent for Burns.

There was a telling incident in the ring just minutes after Burns had been acclaimed as the new WBO interim lightweight champion, defeating a fighter of genuine world class just over a year since he beat another one, Roman Martinez, to lift the world super-featherweight championship.

Asked by the ringside photographers to raise aloft the belt he had just acquired, the 28-year-old from Coatbridge protested that his arms were too tired and sore to put them above his head. That was because Katsidis had just spent most of 12 rounds battering away at Burns’ arms, the Scot soaking up the punches on his muscular forearms and biceps. It wasn’t quite the same ‘rope-a-dope’ tactic most famously deployed by Muhammad Ali in the Rumble in the Jungle against George Foreman, but the result was the same. The counter-puncher beat the brawler, and for some minutes on a London Saturday night, boxing was the sweet science once again.

Like Rocky Marciano in the 1950s, Katsidis simply flailed away at Burns’ arms in the forlorn hope that the Scot’s guard would drop, but the limbs steadfastly refused to come down and on the few occasions that he got through, Katsidis did not have Marciano’s legendary Suzie Q right-hander to finish off Burns.

Coach Nelson was the man responsible for spotting that Katsidis would try to break Burns’ arms, and set about devising the defence. At Nelson’s gym in Stepps, new member of the coaching team John McCarron worked hard with Burns on building up the musculature of the fighters’ arms. McCarron had replaced John McGuinness who died of cancer earlier this year – “we would all like to dedicate Ricky’s win to the memory of John,” said Nelson.

Typical of Burns, he insisted on not running away from Katsidis’ relentless onslaught, but stood his ground and caught the Australian with counter-punch after counter-punch that thoroughly sickened the Australian. When he used his jab at long range, he looked even more impressive, and Nelson said that Burns had done exactly as they had planned, leading when he had to and defending when necessary. “A friend of mine found nine DVDs of Katsidis and they came in very handy,” said Nelson. “My wife’s happy now as she can have the DVD player back.

“It’s my job as a trainer to spot flaws in the opponent and I could see that Katsidis attacked square on and his punches were not as fast in recent fights.” The counter-punching tactics he devised were put into perfect practice and the three judges gave it to Burns by 117-111, 117-111 and 117-112. Some rounds were difficult to call, but the judges thankfully went for the cleaner punching on target, as they are supposed to, rather than be influenced by Kastidis’ unquestionably greater work rate.

Burns was, as ever, modest and unassuming in victory, saying: “He was as tough as I expected, but I wasn’t scared of losing. I knew it wouldn’t be the end of the world if I was beaten but I gave my all to make sure that didn’t happen. I have proved a lot of people who wrote me off wrong, and I am proud of the way I performed at lightweight.”

Burns will almost certainly be world champion by the end of next week, because having won the interim belt, the WBO will give him the full title when current champ Juan Manuel Marquez stands down, as expected, after his welterweight championship contest next Saturday in Las Vegas.

It will make Burns only the second Scot after Paul Weir to hold world titles at two weights, and according to Nelson, he might become the first Scot to be a three-weight champion.

Nelson said: “I can see Ricky clearing up at lightweight over the next year to 18 months and then moving up to light-welterweight. He is the consummate professional and is still improving."

Thank Christ, Frank Warren's behaviour in the past few months has had me baffled, at least he's back to normal.

Only have one fight left to watch from the weekend.

Just about to watch Johnson and Bute.

It was a great weekend for boxing,the Kirkland vs Angulo fight was immense

Im deffo getting box nation as they are getting good fights by the looks of it and it has given sky a kick up the arse to get the big fights on.Great idea from Warren as it gives him a good platform for his fighters and he can chalenge sky for the main events.

Hopefully this means we should have alot of good fights now.

Im deffo getting box nation as they are getting good fights by the looks of it and it has given sky a kick up the arse to get the big fights on.Great idea from Warren as it gives him a good platform for his fighters and he can chalenge sky for the main events.

It's like a feast or a famine with the boxing, the last few weeks were shit and then there's a load of good fights put on the same night.

Pacquaio vrs Marquez this weekend, pity it's a a shit catchweight that favours Manny but as usual Manny is always worth a watch i just hope Marquez can put him under pressure.

It's like a feast or a famine with the boxing, the last few weeks were shit and then there's a load of good fights put on the same night.

Pacquaio vrs Marquez this weekend, pity it's a a shit catchweight that favours Manny but as usual Manny is always worth a watch i just hope Marquez can put him under pressure.

What's the weight they are fighting at?

Angulo and Kirkland didn't disappoint, that first round is the best of the year for me.

Just watched it now, great fight and a hell of a 1st round. Angulo has no real technical ability at all. Kirkland will be back knocking on the door for a title shot now.

What's the weight they are fighting at?

I think it's 144 lbs.

I think it's 144 lbs.

Yeah that's it, just can't understand why he can't go back down to at least 140lb and then we saw how sluggish Marquez was against Mayweather at 145lb.

I'm hoping i'm wrong and Marquez just has Mannys number but it's hard to see at that weight.

I've been backing Pacquaio to stop Marquez at evens lately, think it's around 5/6 now which is still decent value.

Was watching those lovely ladies on strictly come dance last night - my guilty pleasure and there was Audley Harrison, singing on the show.

Fuck me, is this guy goodf at anything?

He can't box, can't dance, can't sing...

Same.

Primetime are showing the Marquez-Pacquaio fight for £15. Won't be in for the fight, but there isn't a chance I'd pay that anyway. There'll be a lot of streams going. I think it may be more competitive than has been predicted. Looking forward to seeing Tyson Fury as well, his opponent is meant to be iron chinned which bodes well for an exciting fight.