You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

im enjoying it, watching 'respected posters' slip into playground name calling is very funny.

It's nothing new is it though, it happens any time there's a challenge to the far left wing orthodoxy around here, have been on the receiving end myself more times than I can recall.

Pre-paid benefits cards are a good idea but will probably just be traded. I prefer the idea of rations. Just a package of food and essential goods like milk, bread, cheese, liver, some beans, butter, a few oranges, soap and toothpaste. No money, no choice, just the essential safety net that the welfare state was meant to provide.

what is it you do for a living, moosey?  Are you a Liverpool lad?

Guest Pistonbroke

It's nothing new is it though, it happens any time there's a challenge to the far left wing orthodoxy around here, have been on the receiving end myself more times than I can recall.

and you've never resorted to name calling, foul language and wishing people dead! 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Stronts, the guy has just been talking about rationing people. That's nothing to do with left wing orthodoxy, that's to do with basic decency that all bar the very extremes of the right wing with recoil at in disgust.

• Upvote 1

Pre-paid benefits cards are a good idea but will probably just be traded. I prefer the idea of rations. Just a package of food and essential goods like milk, bread, cheese, liver, some beans, butter, a few oranges, soap and toothpaste. No money, no choice, just the essential safety net that the welfare state was meant to provide.

It's pointless defending someone who says utter shit like this. A fucking waste of time.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

what is it you do for a living, moosey?  Are you a Liverpool lad?

I think you'd have to dig pretty deep to find anybody in Liverpool who'd talk about putting people on basic rations. Even Tories from the area wouldn't have that.

Guest Pistonbroke

Er, but that was different...

Hugely surprising that Rico and Stronts like him.

I'm waiting for him to take the moral high ground and say he only does it when provoked, two wrongs don't make a right and all that. 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Er, but that was different...

Hugely surprising that Rico and Stronts like him.

I'm actually surprised that Stronts isn't hammering him. He knows all too well, from what his party advocate, that opportunity in this country isn't where it should be and he knows, as a liberal, that the best way to help people out of poverty isn't to punish them.

There's many people who just aren't able to take advantage of opportunities whether they have learning difficulties, mental illness, physical disabilities. Thousands upon thousands raised in a social economic background that is hindered from the start. The system is rigged. Osbourne and cameron the two main political people in this country never succeeded because it's a meritocracy, they succeeded because of the old boy network and the schools being born into privilege meant they could attend.

I don't scorn earned success, I admire it, but to be talked down too and patronized about hardworking people and getting on makes me puke, especially from a group of people who know nothing other than financially security. They have their safety net, the bank of mummy and daddy but they want to remove the safety net from those who don't have it. At the same time they say making the rich richer is an incentive for the rich but making the poorest poorer is an incentive for them. Diminish the social contract and watch britian be some a more dangerous desperate place. A civilized country should look after its weakest, provide a safety net for those who need it and give every single person equal access to health care and education. We are constantly talked at like we are a burden but worse that all we are, are workers.... Workers workers workers.

A letter came through my door telling my brother he was fit for work a week after he died, even if he was able to do some kind of work when he was alive, I didnt want him too, he knew his life was going to be short, I knew his life was going to be short, why should someone with such precious little time be forced to spend that time working for a future he doesn't have, just to keep happy those that detest the idea someone might be getting away with something they can't. Me and my entire family every single one of us work, we all work and we all paid into the system he wasn't taken care of by the state he was taken care of by us. Fuck those who speak of the welfare state like its a distasteful thing, it's abused I'll accept that but it's a service paid for by the people for the people, looking after each other. The government want to look at cost cutting they should look at how they spend the money we give them and stop being so frivolous and carefree with it. Iain duncan smith the man who claims benefits of the EU has wasted more money on his own than thousands of families would claim in a lifetime.

• Upvote 16

Stronts, the guy has just been talking about rationing people. That's nothing to do with left wing orthodoxy, that's to do with basic decency that all bar the very extremes of the right wing with recoil at in disgust.

Then explain to him why he's wrong.

I would say it's wrong because by giving money instead of food rations, you remove further choice from people who have little choice in the first instance.

Oh, and the irony isn't lost on me that lefties were using moosebreath's argument that benefits recipients can't be trusted with money to oppose housing benefit being paid directly to tenants just a few months ago.

I'm actually surprised that Stronts isn't hammering him. He knows all too well, from what his party advocate, that opportunity in this country isn't where it should be and he knows, as a liberal, that the best way to help people out of poverty isn't to punish them.

Well, unlike some, I am receptive to challenges to my ideas and perceptions. My mind isn't closed to alternative opinions. And I think he's being hammered enough as it is.

Remember that cringeworthy thread you started asking what tele you should buy, just so you could brag how much money you were spending on it?

Top class cuntery.

It's blue isn't it, your favourite colour is blue.

Ha ha, I started that thread because I havent a fucking about stuff like that, the way I see it £800 on a TV I keep for 7 years (like my last one) is decent value. Imagine if someone had started a thread on what car they drive? Imagine the horror!!!!

There's many people who just aren't able to take advantage of opportunities whether they have learning difficulties, mental illness, physical disabilities. Thousands upon thousands raised in a social economic background that is hindered from the start. The system is rigged. Osbourne and cameron the two main political people in this country never succeeded because it's a meritocracy, they succeeded because of the old boy network and the schools being born into privilege meant they could attend.

I don't scorn earned success, I admire it, but to be talked down too and patronized about hardworking people and getting on makes me puke, especially from a group of people who know nothing other than financially security. They have their safety net, the bank of mummy and daddy but they want to remove the safety net from those who don't have it. At the same time they say making the rich richer is an incentive for the rich but making the poorest poorer is an incentive for them. Diminish the social contract and watch britian be some a more dangerous desperate place. A civilized country should look after its weakest, provide a safety net for those who need it and give every single person equal access to health care and education. We are constantly talked at like we are a burden but worse that all we are, are workers.... Workers workers workers.

A letter came through my door telling my brother he was fit for work a week after he died, even if he was able to do some kind of work when he was alive, I didnt want him too, he knew his life was going to be short, I knew his life was going to be short, why should someone with such precious little time be forced to spend that time working for a future he doesn't have, just to keep happy those that detest the idea someone might be getting away with something they can't. Me and my entire family every single one of us work, we all work and we all paid into the system he wasn't taken care of by the state he was taken care of by us. Fuck those who speak of the welfare state like its a distasteful thing, it's abused I'll accept that but it's a service paid for by the people for the people, looking after each other. The government want to look at cost cutting they should look at how they spend the money we give them and stop being so frivolous and carefree with it. Iain duncan smith the man who claims benefits of the EU has wasted more money on his own than thousands of families would claim in a lifetime.

I think this says it all. 

The name calling may be unnecessary, but you have to understand that someone has taken the time and effort to sign up to a (pragmatic but admittedly left leaning) forum with the express purpose of winding people up. Proudly declaring that there is opportunity for all in this country and insinuating that those who don't take advantage of this are somehow not deserving of anything - they shouldn't be surprised that some take this as a personal slight on friends, family or loved ones that find themselves in this situation. That's the problem with right wing zealots. The moral high ground becomes a bit shaky when faced with actual human beings and their very real lives.

Saying people should live on rations, whilst being one person's opinion, on here is likely and rightly going to be met with anger and disbelief.

• Upvote 2