You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't it the charity sheild in Cardiff?

He looked exciting but dived far too much for me.

I meant his Anfield debut, isn't the Charity Shield counted as a friendly?

He looked good away at Villa in his first league game too, but as you said I remember his falling over a few times in that game too.

I'm in my 20's so I haven't had the good fortune of seeing most of our great players make their debut. I just remember being excited after we signed Diouf and his first few performances made him look like he was going to live up to my expectations.

Paddy Berger, Collymore were class debuts too and I vaguely remember a lot of hype about Nigel Clough's debut as well.

Carra's tackle on Townsend on his first Anfield start was enough to get him in too even without his goal.

Oh and i thought Plessis' debut was outstanding.

I meant his Anfield debut, isn't the Charity Shield counted as a friendly?

He looked good away at Villa in his first league game too, but as you said I remember his falling over a few times in that game too.

I'm in my 20's so I haven't had the good fortune of seeing most of our great players make their debut. I just remember being excited after we signed Diouf and his first few performances made him look like he was going to live up to my expectations.

Paddy Berger, Collymore were class debuts too and I vaguely remember a lot of hype about Nigel Clough's debut as well.

Carra's tackle on Townsend on his first Anfield start was enough to get him in too even without his goal.

Oh and i thought Plessis' debut was outstanding.

Booked after 20 seconds.

That's what I would have said. He started his Liverpool career scoring for fun. Great shot on him too.

Was Leicester his debut? Fucking brilliant player, Berger. If only he'd learned to tackle or, you know, not be a bit of a shithouse sometimes.

I was about 15 when he signed, and I've literally never been as excited about a new signing as I was about him. The only one who came close was Morientes, bad as that turned out. But Berger was our first foreign player when the big influx started (ignoring the sundry Scandinavians before that, and a couple of Israelis) after Euro 96, and he was one of the most exciting young players in Europe. I thought he'd win the league on his own. He didn't. Shame. But he did score that free kick at Old Trafford.

Other impressive debuts? Kuyt did really well on his, looked a world beater. Collymore against Wednesday. But Fowler's takes some beating.

Was Leicester his debut?

I think so. That's how I remember it without looking it up.

Was Rob Jones' debut against Giggs when he was a flying youngster? Can't be sure if the memory is playing tricks here, but if it was then it was top class. Shame about the injury. Gary Neville would never have played for England.

Whats the best debut by a Liverpool player you have seen?

For me (as a 30 year old) it takes some beating to get past Rob Jones or even Arbeloa.

defo go with that one! he was perfect that day

and for some reason bjorn tore kvarme springs to mind haha he was great against arsenal at highbury but i dont know if that was his debut or the first time i'd seen him play?

i thought he was going to be superb! hahahaha

Was Rob Jones' debut against Giggs when he was a flying youngster? Can't be sure if the memory is playing tricks here, but if it was then it was top class. Shame about the injury. Gary Neville would never have played for England.

I have a theory that the world changed with Rob Jones's injury. I think it may have caused global warming, the Iraq war and the disappearance of Ladysmith Black Mambazo from the pop charts.

But I can't be sure.

Jones debut was against manure, played Giggs out of the game.

I can't believe I forgot God's and Berger's debuts. Didn't Fowler score 5 against fulham in the league cup? And I'm pretty sure Berger's debut was coming on as a sub against Leicester and scoring a hat trick.

Jones debut was against manure, played Giggs out of the game.

I can't believe I forgot God's and Berger's debuts. Didn't Fowler score 5 against fulham in the league cup? And I'm pretty sure Berger's debut was coming on as a sub against Leicester and scoring a hat trick.

I think so. For a few seasons there he was unbelievable. Much better than Shearer I thought (though obviously Shearer had the longevity at the top).

She Rah was a great player at Blackburn so I really doubt that’s true.

Robbie definitely had more of the genius about him though.

Like I said it was a rumour, I have no idea if there was anytruth in it or not.

However seeing how the FA and it's local branches worked I wouldn't be overly suprised.

Like I said it was a rumour, I have no idea if there was anytruth in it or not.

However seeing how the FA and it's local branches worked I wouldn't be overly suprised.

Aye I can imagine that some of the old coots at the FA would have preferred classic centre forward Shearer.

Speaking of Robbie, didn't he score 1 in the first leg against Fulham on his debut, before the 5 in the home leg?

My personal ones, apart from Rob Jones on telly, were Collymore and Clough.

There was real hope we’d cracked it with Clough as the “new Kenny/Beardsley” alongside Rush and Collymore alongside Fowler.

Aaarrghh!

Aye I can imagine that some of the old coots at the FA would have preferred classic centre forward Shearer.

Speaking of Robbie, didn't he score 1 in the first leg against Fulham on his debut, before the 5 in the home leg?

My personal ones, apart from Rob Jones on telly, were Collymore and Clough.

There was real hope we’d cracked it with Clough as the “new Kenny/Beardsley” alongside Rush and Collymore alongside Fowler.

Aaarrghh!

You wouldn't believe some of the cunts at the Gloucester FA and my old manager when I was a young lad came to blows with Alan Curbishly, wankers the lot of 'em.

Yes Robbie did score in the away leg. After the home leg when he'd scored 5 Ronnie Moran pulled him to one side after the game and gave him a bollocking for missing a simple chance, just to stop him from getting too big headed.