You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best Game At Anfield You've Attended ?

The Celtic Way

Singing "always look on the bright side of life" to United - where did that come from?

They had a trophy home-coming in one of the main squares in Manchester - St Anne or Queen Anne or something (?) - may have been the 90 FA Cup or 91 Cup Winners.

Anyway - as is there way they had some blert up on the mic leading a bit of community singing and that was one of the songs they did. Thats the first time I remember it in a football context.

The blert may have been Terry Christian or Timmy Mallet. Or may not have been.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from the obvious that have already been mentioned, one of the most memorable games I've been to at Anfield was a game against Wimbledon the year the kop was getting rebuilt 94 ish.

only the first few rows of the kop had been put in and obviously there was no roof (ace coz they had proper hot dog vans in lieu of the snack bar counters).

the game was pretty naff but soon into the game the heavens opened and it pissed down like I've never seen before. it was that bad that the ball kept getting stuck on the pitch when players were thinking it was going out for a throw in/goal kick etc.

the kop was electric though, only a couple of thousand on there, soaked to the bone but everyone was bouncing and singing and i swear it felt louder than the full kop in swing at times.

no other bugger seems to remember it though

Yeh, I remember that well. Never seen rain like it before. got absolutely pissed wet through. It was a good laugh though and we won 3-0.

Liverpool 1 - 0 Chelsea

Luis Garcia

It would have to be this for me too as the atmosphere was incredible. You could hear the singing outside 40mins before kick off and it continued for at least 30mins after too.

The Uefa Cup semi final vs Barca in 2001 also ranks up there for me as it was the 1st time I had seen LFC vs another big European side.

An Arsenal game in 95 or 96 when Fowler scored his second hat trick against them was also good just because Fowler hat trick was ace.

Another game that never gets mentioned is the 2-0 Forest league game in December 78 - 3 months after they knocked us out of Europe. Another brace from Terry Mac.

I remember the Forest players - all suited and booted - walking down to the Kop at about 2.00 to inspect the pitch or incite a riot. I think the gates had already been locked - and the crowd went fucking ballistic. There was a massive surge forward and they started carting the little 'uns out - passing them over the heads - to the St Johns at the front. Happy days.

I was at that one too. Didn't it end a long unbeaten run for Forest? When the Forest players came out around 2, Emlyn Hughes & Joey Jones appeared in the Main Stand and held aloft the European Cup. The place went mental.

My personal favourite was the 7-0 v Spurs in 1978. Terry Mac's goal near the end is still the best I've seen. Honourable mentions for Real Madrid last season, Juve & Roma (Houllier's return).

I was at that one too. Didn't it end a long unbeaten run for Forest? When the Forest players came out around 2, Emlyn Hughes & Joey Jones appeared in the Main Stand and held aloft the European Cup. The place went mental.

My personal favourite was the 7-0 v Spurs in 1978. Terry Mac's goal near the end is still the best I've seen. Honourable mentions for Real Madrid last season, Juve & Roma (Houllier's return).

Yeah - I think it was 42 League games or something. Never seen the crowd up for a League game like that before or since.

Agreed on Terry Mac's header against Spurs. Also scored a belter in the Cup around 1980 - at the infamous Battle of White Hart Lane. I wasn't at the Cup game but one of the lads I go the game was and says it was like Rorke's Drift.

This (and I really was there even though every man and his dog claims to have been).

[YOUTUBE]kVgxnutftu8[/YOUTUBE]

The reason is obvious - what a team.

I was 9 and stood on the Kop for the very first time that day, that and the 5-0 v Forest in '88 are my favourite games if I was judging it on the sheer brilliance of our football.

Auxerre and the two 4-3's against Newcastle were also great games, but for the actual occassion/atmosphere I'd have to say Chelsea 05.

They had a trophy home-coming in one of the main squares in Manchester - St Anne or Queen Anne or something (?) - may have been the 90 FA Cup or 91 Cup Winners.

Anyway - as is there way they had some blert up on the mic leading a bit of community singing and that was one of the songs they did. Thats the first time I remember it in a football context.

The blert may have been Terry Christian or Timmy Mallet. Or may not have been.

Always look on the bright side is not a filth song. It was originally sung by sunderland fans.

filth picked it up because as we all know, they are shit at coming up with original songs.

I've got a few.

Liverpool 4 - 0 Arsenal, Decmeber 2000 or was it 2001??? Even though Arsenal played some brilliant stuff, they just couldn't live with us that day.

Euro 96 - Russia 3 - 3 Czech Republic, got free tickets and was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Finally, and I know I'll get some shit for this, but when Barcelona beat us 3-1 in the champions league in November 2001. It was just a joy to watch that Barca team play footy, even though Rivaldo was a diving twat.

Finally, and I know I'll get some shit for this, but when Barcelona beat us 3-1 in the champions league in November 2001. It was just a joy to watch that Barca team play footy, even though Rivaldo was a diving twat.

"Can we have a go with your ball please mate?"

[YOUTUBE]ZwrnLQHZZZ0[/YOUTUBE]

Despite being at some brilliant games that have already been mentioned on here (4-3 v Newcastle, CL semi's, Juve 2-1) my favourite was a 2-0 home win v United in '95, Fowler scoring twice. Not that beatin the bitterest of rivals needs making any more special, but it was made more special as it was also my birthday and I got the honour of gettin a grip of the match ball on 2 occasions! ha, how the small things mean a lot more when you are 13!!!!

I'm not arguing with you either way - just stating where I thought the original Man U connection arose.

Just flagging up that although many people think its a filth song, it was one they nicked from sunderland.

Still it was good to sing it back to them at Anfield a few times!

Not the Count's favourite game but well up there - the 3-0 win over Wigan when the long lad Crouch stuck it to the Latics and the man. Foookin loved it. His celebration down the touchline was ace. The big fella had been taking so much shit it was a brilliant moment. Will always remember big Sami coming back on after a head injury with a bandage on his fod and the first thing he did was head the ball away. Fooking legend. Long lads sticking it to the man. Great day. Take that Paul Walker. Take that Patrick Barclay, yer bold heightist cunts yer.