You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok but hear me out for a second here-

Hes fast and strong, probably one of our fastest players over 1km

Hes direct, he doesnt even like turning

Hes one of the top 5 finishers in the world, look how he lobbed VDS

Hes starting left back for the best team in the world and champions of all time

Hes Italian so hes passionate and strong and fast

All the ingredients of the next Ronaldo!!

For a minute there I thought you were on a wind up.

Pre-season friendlies are one of the things I find a little unsatisfying about Rafa's management.

It's only a small niggle, but I always feel we should be using them to try out the formation and players we want to play most of the season with, and getting them used to each other and firing on all cylinders, smashing their opponents in these games and starting the season on fire.

I know we have to give the kids and fringe players a chance, but surely bring them on later in the games, and use at least the first half to actually maximise our first team's cohesion?

Instead we seem to get a mish-mash and our first competitive game, always so important, is the one where the team have to try to remember how to play together.

The same also applies to those CC games imo. Think it's unfair, and a missed opportunity to see how the young lads would get on in a strong Liverpool side instead of, like you say, the complete mish mash of randomness.

I hope a lot of you are joking. If you ever tried to tell Shanks or Paisley how important pre-season games were I think they'd laugh you out of their office.

In 06/07 we went into the season with three straight loss in pre season friendles. We carried that form into the season winning only once in our opening 4 matches.

Just saying...

it will be the same as the last one with two teams playing either half as its about getting all of your squad game time to bring on their match fitness it wont be until they come back from the far east tour that you will see performances where the result is more important than the game time for your squad players

I hope a lot of you are joking. If you ever tried to tell Shanks or Paisley how important pre-season games were I think they'd laugh you out of their office.

Like I said it's just a small niggle. But how often do we start a season flying? The start of a season was much less important in Shanks and Paisley's time, as the bar wasn't raised so high. Now you really have to maximise your points as early as possible. So I do think it's important to start as well as you can. I agree with bobhorse that the first few pre-season games are not as important as the later ones, but I still think you should work on your team game as early as you can. And if some players are at different levels of fitness to others you can always stagger your substitutions accordingly.

Like I said it's just a small niggle. But how often do we start a season flying? The start of a season was much less important in Shanks and Paisley's time, as the bar wasn't raised so high. Now you really have to maximise your points as early as possible. So I do think it's important to start as well as you can. I agree with bobhorse that the first few pre-season games are not as important as the later ones, but I still think you should work on your team game as early as you can. And if some players are at different levels of fitness to others you can always stagger your substitutions accordingly.

Agreed. If Benitez can't do that then perhaps we need to look elsewhere. Mourinho's pre-season record is outstanding...

17th Jul 16:02

The Reds are still without Spanish aces Fernando Torres, Xabi Alonso, Pepe Reina, Alvaro Arbeloa and Albert Riera because of their Confederations Cup involvement

Javier Mascherano could make his first appearance of pre-season against the Austrian side

Glen Johnson will feature again for the Reds against Rapid Vienna

I got that off e-season.

it will be the same as the last one with two teams playing either half as its about getting all of your squad game time to bring on their match fitness it wont be until they come back from the far east tour that you will see performances where the result is more important than the game time for your squad players

Guess this is probably right. The Atletico match will more than likely be the first proper one. Johnson might even get to play right back instead of left back too. (joking!)

In 06/07 we went into the season with three straight loss in pre season friendles. We carried that form into the season winning only once in our opening 4 matches.

Just saying...

Are you saying we used the exact same team in the pre-season that we did in the opening 4 matches? I don't remember our pre-season that year but I would reckon we didn't. Not to mention it was a World Cup summer meaning there would have been other reasons affecting play.

A lot of the teams under Shankly and Paisley had some pretty pathetic pre-seasons only to go on and achieve some major things the following May.

Pre-season is only about getting your fitness levels up in my opinion and giving the younger ones a bit of a chance to play with the first team. Other than that it's pointless and I don't really give a crap about results.

The Reds XI in full is: Cavalieri, Degen, Insua, Carragher, Ayala, Gerrard, Plessis, Babel, El Zhar, Nemeth, Voronin. Subs: Martin, Gulacsi, Kelly, San Jose, Pacheco, Benayoun, Kuyt, Mascherano, Lucas, Ngog, Spearing, Skrtel.

Damn, was hoping that wouldn't happen again. Nemeth will probably just get the first half again and unless Gerrard pushes up and finds him with passes he's not got enough experience around to supply him. Voronin would more than likely attack himself and might not be good at getting to him with good passes, same with Babel.

Hopefully he can still get one.