You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Where Is Benitez Taking This Team?

Guest LFD

But what I'm saying is that it would quickly become a practical impossibility within a match for any team to man mark him if we had another similarly dangerous player in the team. It would actually make their defensive job harder if they chose to man mark Gerrard, rather than easier. As things stand, Torres would be up against two centre halves and Gerrard would have a midfielder on him and then everyone else digs deep to cope with the rest of our players. However, if we had another world class talent, that would be impossible - as is the case for The Mancs now. There's no point man marking a player because they've got so many others who can score and make them tick.

Yes I understand the point.

I just can't see any signing coming in being as effective as Gerrard. Yes if we have other top players then maybe we could cope better with when Gerrard does get man marked.

But I'd rather see us move Gerarrd into a position where this is almost impossble to do, rather than hinder such an attacking threat.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just can't see any signing coming in being as effective as Gerrard. Yes if we have other top players then maybe we could cope better with when Gerrard does get man marked.

But I'd rather see us move Gerarrd into a position where this is almost impossble to do, rather than hinder such an attacking threat.

Torres was/is, more or less.

Well clearly I didn't mean literally as good as Gerrard - you could count the number of such players in world football on one hand. I think Tevez or Silva would make it very tough to man-mark Gerrard, though - especially if Rafa continued to ask his front four to move and rotate with each other throughout a match as he has been doing of late.

Well clearly I didn't mean literally as good as Gerrard - you could count the number of such players in world football on one hand. I think Tevez or Silva would make it very tough to man-mark Gerrard, though - especially if Rafa continued to ask his front four to move and rotate with each other throughout a match as he has been doing of late.

See I think the role Gerrard plays, behind a lone striker makes him very easy to man mark. Essien, just needed to play basically as a holding midfielder and track Gerrard very closely.

If Gerrard was in centre midfield or on the right, he'd be far harder to man mark.

Maybe you're right, I just think it is something we need to consider as twice in two years his influence has been hindered with this tactic and it has cost us.

See I think the role Gerrard plays, behind a lone striker makes him very easy to man mark. Essien, just needed to play basically as a holding midfielder and track Gerrard very closely.

If Gerrard was in centre midfield or on the right, he'd be far harder to man mark.

Maybe you're right, I just think it is something we need to consider as twice in two years his influence has been hindered with this tactic and it has cost us.

this.

the further up gerrard plays, the easier he is to frustrate/mark out of a game. he needs room to express himself with that long stride/dribbling, best achieved away from a CDM or centre-half.

the only player on our team who's ever really had much success marking gerrard is rio...hargreaves also did a job on him, but in both cases, gerrard was too far forward.

so yes, you need someone to join torres in attack ahead of him, and let gerrard create from a bit deeper or wider.

Mate I'm not dismissing what you say - we'd be mad not to mindful of the impact Essien had at Anfield in the CL. However, I think you're drawing too firm a conclusion from two matches.

Mate I'm not dismissing what you say - we'd be mad not to mindful of the impact Essien had at Anfield in the CL. However, I think you're drawing too firm a conclusion from two matches.

Possibly, but he's been man marked twice and his influence has been reduced twice, so as you say we should be mindful of it.

But I just think if a team tries to man mark and Gerrard is not involved in the game enough, we should consider moving him into centre midfield or on the right.

We didn't do this against Essien or Makelele and suffered as a result.

He becomes less effective and then we are changing our team because of the opposition and a lack of real quality and options.

Buy in one maybe two quality attacking players and it becomes a nightmare all over the pitch for any team we play.

We've had the one/two man team shite thrown at us for too long, no more.