You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dear loveable rogues of the TNF, I seek your help on matters of buying a new PC.

My current desktop is on its last legs and after I've finished uni in 7 weeks time I intend to save up some pennies and get myself something new. I'll need it for doing CAD work and Photoshop as well as some basic 3D modelling/rendering; I'd quite fancy being able to play a few games too. However, I'm not after something top end, the work I'll be doing would be pretty basic and I'm not a huge gamer but would possibly like to play GTA IV.

So, so I get a desktop or a laptop and how much should I be looking to spend? I've never bought one (the one I have was built for me a long time ago and I've added odd bits to it) and I'm not too sure which brands I should be looking at.

Thanks in advance.

Edit - I was thinking perhaps something like this:

Acer Aspire 6530G Laptop LX.AUS0X.142 - Acer Direct

But a decent desktop would cost a lot less to replace:

Acer Veriton X270 - Pentium Dual Core E2220 2.4 GHz PS.X27C1.U01 - Acer Direct

Edited by Karl

karl.

you'll need to be more careful about RAM and the graphics card when running CAD applications.

if it is autocad you are using, go to autodesk and check the list of minumum requirements and approved graphics cards.

if the system is good enough for pumping CAD, all else will be fine.

i'm not much of a hardware geek anymore, so i can't get really specific (i have 4gb of ram though and a good/pricey nvidea graphics card).

I'm using Microstation at the moment Neko but expect to be shifting to AutoCAD soon. Both run fine on my current desktop which is pretty poor really so almost anything new would be better! The Acer 6530G above has 4gb of RAM with it so that's good.

Are Dell still pretty reasonable?

you should actually neg S31 for his ignorance of graphic cards for pumping CAD - that one will be painfully inadequate.

a good CAD workstation / laptop is going to cost a bit more than normal because you need more processing power and graphics acceleration.

Do you have any recommendations Neko? Do you think the one in the first laptop I posted would be sufficient? I'm not intending to do hardcore rendering on it.

as i said, i'm not really a hardware guy anymore. as you get older, you tend to just throw money at the problem, rather than do any difficult research.

i don't know AMD processors very well, but autodesk says this about them...

Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® dual-core processor, 1.6 GHz or higher with SSE2 technology

as for the graphics card, search this list when deciding...

Autodesk - AutoCAD Services & Support - Graphics Hardware List

hope that helps.