You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who actually bought Keane? Benitez or Parry?

ChicagoRed

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a press conference the the other day:

Reporter: "How do you think Alonso must feel when you're constantly going on about not getting Gareth Barry? Isn't it a bit disrespectful to him?"

Rafa: "Who bought Xabi Alonso? Who plays Xabi Alonso every week?"

Reporter: "It's a good job too, as he's been your best player this season"

Rafa: "Do you not think Barry could have been just as good?"

He doesn't think he dodged a bullet at all, and if he gets the chance to do the deal next summer my money says he will do.

Was this off the record?

Xabi being very close with Paco Ayastravan is one reason.

But as dave says if he gets his way in the summer he will do all he can to sell Xabi and bring Barry in. You can quote me on that.

He can get Barry in on a free this summer can't he? And it wouldn't be a bad bit of business to get someone of Barry's quality for no fee.

In a press conference the the other day:

Reporter: "How do you think Alonso must feel when you're constantly going on about not getting Gareth Barry? Isn't it a bit disrespectful to him?"

Rafa: "Who bought Xabi Alonso? Who plays Xabi Alonso every week?"

Reporter: "It's a good job too, as he's been your best player this season"

Rafa: "Do you not think Barry could have been just as good?"

He doesn't think he dodged a bullet at all, and if he gets the chance to do the deal next summer my money says he will do.

Is this place just full of "insiders" or did this really happen? Is there anything to substantiate this because if it did, then the guy hasn't got a clue about the Liverpool Way.

Benitez fucked up again, and I'm glad he didn't doubly fuck up by selling Alonso. The amount of people blaming Parry for Benitez's fuck ups is hilarious. I get the feeling if Torres had been shit, we'd be hearing the exact same thing.

Well I'm certainly not going that far.

In fairness though, Rafa's disatisfaction with Parry's ability to make deals is a longstanding issue. Virtually every time Rick gets mentioned in a thread on here the mobile phone gags come out; I thought we pretty much universally considered him to be incompetent in every way when it comes to transfers.

Did he say it like you posted? Or were you just giving us the general idea of what he said.

Pretty much the way I posted it. Certainly the 'do you not think Barry could have been just as good?' answer was as he said it.

In reply to sinos, Barry isn't out of contract this summer as far as I know. He still would have another year, but maybe he can then buy out his contract?

No, it was on the record, but I'm not sure if anyone used it as I hardly ever read the papers. I think code72 mentioned that he'd read it somewhere though.

Chris Bascombe reported it in News of the World. On the 18th of January. He reported it in direct quote, like stated above. Same day he said he had no problem with Parry.

I remember it very well since I didn't like it at all.

Seen a replay of Real v Juve today. Momo is class these days. His passing has improved loads even though he's just keeping it simple.

It's a shame we had to let him go, but we really did have to as his confidence was shot to pieces. He couldn't even play a five yard pass when under no pressure. I loved Momo, but by the end he just wasn't up to it. Glad to see him doing well again though.

Chris Bascombe reported it in News of the World. On the 18th of January. He reported it in direct quote, like stated above. Same day he said he had no problem with Parry.

I remember it very well since I didn't like it at all.

Thats right I just did a search and its in the Should Rafa have full control over transfers thread on page 17 or 18.

This is the article.

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez vows to carry on at Anfield if owners give him the final say on the club's transfer budget | Sport | News Of The World

I also think I read it in an article on SKY.

I remember I could not belive my own eyes when I read that last week or the week before, I would really like to know whats the reason Rafa want to get rid of Alonso, because not once has he praised him since the summer even if he has ben given the opportunity lots of times.

The journalist should have followed up with "No I really dont thinks so because Alonos is performing to a level Barry only can reach in a wet dream."

My thoughts exactly. Can't believe he got away with that. I also remember him refusing to praise Alonso earlier this season too. Something in the lines off: " he was good in his first season, and is playing well now".

It's a shame we had to let him go, but we really did have to as his confidence was shot to pieces. He couldn't even play a five yard pass when under no pressure. I loved Momo, but by the end he just wasn't up to it. Glad to see him doing well again though.

He came back after a pretty serious injury, had two brilliant games against Barca and then was in and out of the team for the rest of his Liverpool career. I know we have Mascherano, but I'd much prefer him to Lucas. I still rate Momo highly, and was gutted we sold him - the guy was a one man midfield and I know everyone takes the piss out of that Ronaldinho topic, but that was testament to how well he was playing.

the quote was:

“Xabi is playing better this season but can you guarantee Gareth wouldn’t have been good for us? I signed Xabi, play him nearly every week and didn’t sell him. I know how the players feel.”

I think you have to remember that Rafa is constantly being criticised by his bosses, the media, ex players, an increasing number of supporters and if you believe what is written on here some of our more senior players. That quote given in his second language sounds to me like he is trying to justify the Barry interest rather than trying to be disrespectful to Xabi

He came back after a pretty serious injury, had two brilliant games against Barca and then was in and out of the team for the rest of his Liverpool career. I know we have Mascherano, but I'd much prefer him to Lucas. I still rate Momo highly, and was gutted we sold him - the guy was a one man midfield and I know everyone takes the piss out of that Ronaldinho topic, but that was testament to how well he was playing.

So who's your midfield then? Gerrard, mascherano, Alonso with Sissoko on the bench? Momo didn't want to be 4th midfielder - and he was never going to be guaranteed a starting spot. I loved Momo too, but you can understand why he was sold. Plus, the guy was accruing serious injuries: shoulder, eye, passing foot... On his day, Momo was a sublime defensive midfielder. But even Lucas & Mascherano are more of a threat going forward.

the quote was:

“Xabi is playing better this season but can you guarantee Gareth wouldn’t have been good for us? I signed Xabi, play him nearly every week and didn’t sell him. I know how the players feel.”

I think you have to remember that Rafa is constantly being criticised by his bosses, the media, ex players, an increasing number of supporters and if you believe what is written on here some of our more senior players. That quote given in his second language sounds to me like he is trying to justify the Barry interest rather than trying to be disrespectful to Xabi

Assuming the quote is accurate, that's a fair point, he seems to be defending his interest in Barry more than dismissing Alonso. "Xabi is playing better this season" is about as near to Rafa eulogising a player as I've heard since he joined us. Dirk excluded, obviously.

The question of whether Barry would have been a success here can be considered as an abstract without any implied dig at Xabi. If it was me, what the boss said to me on the training pitch every day would be far more important than a couple of lines in an interview.

He has one boss on his side, very sorry but he uses his lack of english when it suits him.

He's a top politician, I'd rather him be a top manager of our club.

NOBODY IS BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB.

All parties need to understand this

With the way the club seems to be right now, he really needs to be both. Without the politics, he'll get fucked up the arse no matter how good a manager he is.

Obviously you'll know far more than me but I imagine there are people just waiting to pull the rug out from under him if he lets his guard down. My impression is that the whole climate at the club behind the scenes is fundamentally fucked-up right now and likely to remain so for some time.

I'd have no hesitation in condemning Rafa if he's on a power trip, on the other hand I can't criticise a man for fighting his corner. Is he really turning into Caesar or is he taking an extreme position in order to develop a compromise, a fairly standard management practice?

Genuine question btw.

He has one boss on his side, very sorry but he uses his lack of english when it suits him.

He's a top politician, I'd rather him be a top manager of our club.

NOBODY IS BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB.

All parties need to understand this

His lack of English does sometimes suit him, but his lack of English has also dropped him in it on occasion - the point remains however, he has a lack of English

NB I agree no-one is bigger than the club.