You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool v Liege game

sir roger

It was the 1st competitive game of the season. We played really badly. We will play a lot better and beat Sunderland on Sat and Liege at Anfield.

The end

I know it's alot to ask for but try and get a little perspective. It's a sign of a good team- get a result when you've been gash for 90 mins

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew we'd struggle but I never expected we could be as bad as that.

With the benefit of hindsight, that game was made for Sami. They bullied us at the back so our full backs hardly got forward, no pace or thrust in central midfield, no control up front so 4-2-3-1 crumbles in the dust.

Things can only get better.

I havn't read the rest of the thread and have delayed posting to try not to be to knee jerk but for what its worth here is my take on the game

As soon as i saw the team with bennie on the left and Kuyt on the right with Plesiss and Alonso in the middle i thought we would struggle and as it turned out we did as with last season to many square pegs in round holes and for those who where against Alonsos sale you can surely see what the problem is with him now i can now see what Rafa wants to play if he had his way and that is the 4-2-3-1

That would be with Babel Gerrard and Keane behind Torres with Javi and Barry has the holding 2 it also allows for Barry to play in the left of the 3 with keane center and Gerrard right cant do that with Alonso you know that Gerrard and Javi will be the middle 2 in a 4 man midfield so where do you place Alonso ? i would really like to know from someone who thinks he should start in the first 11

Kuyt isnt a winger and like Alonso now will be replaced on the right by Gerrard in a 3 behind Torres which means he is another who could be surplus and i like kuyt but i can see this happening

When we had the ball with no width in the team we where forced time after time to play it long and it just kept coming back

We will beat this team with ease at Anfield in 2 weeks time we will have at least 1 of Babel or Javi back in the side along with Gerrard

We should have had a Pen before they got theirs which wasnt and Pepe did the biz i thought Dossena looked dodgy at the back but his use of the ball wide was better than we have had

Back to Alonso Plessis and Lucas can both play that role in the team so for me he has to be sold if there is no money to bring in a player for the left of midfield whoever that may be if we had had Cole Downing or Barry in that team we would have beaten them you can get away with 1 square peg in your line up but 2 in the areas you are looking to create your chances from for your strike force you end up with what we got last night

there will be bags of improvement to come from this side and this game might just be a blessing as it might act as the kick up the arse we needed ahead of Saturdays game if we had played like that at sunderland we would have had the same result a draw and 2 points lost now seeing what the problems are in that team we have the choice now to either change the team around or go with the same but with more work on the training ground on the parts of the game we where so lacking in tonight

This might read like a moan to some but it isnt meant to i expected the type of game we got from the players on show i would play any youngster with a left foot in the left midfield roll rather than ask Yossie to play there that way we have only 1 player playing out of position and that would be kuyt and Finnan must have fucked Raffa's Mrs up the Arse to be so much out of favour much better things to come from this team but i think Rafa was right and G&H where wrong now there is a suprise

excellent postage

I havn't read the rest of the thread and have delayed posting to try not to be to knee jerk but for what its worth here is my take on the game

As soon as i saw the team with bennie on the left and Kuyt on the right with Plesiss and Alonso in the middle i thought we would struggle and as it turned out we did as with last season to many square pegs in round holes and for those who where against Alonsos sale you can surely see what the problem is with him now i can now see what Rafa wants to play if he had his way and that is the 4-2-3-1

That would be with Babel Gerrard and Keane behind Torres with Javi and Barry has the holding 2 it also allows for Barry to play in the left of the 3 with keane center and Gerrard right cant do that with Alonso you know that Gerrard and Javi will be the middle 2 in a 4 man midfield so where do you place Alonso ? i would really like to know from someone who thinks he should start in the first 11

Kuyt isnt a winger and like Alonso now will be replaced on the right by Gerrard in a 3 behind Torres which means he is another who could be surplus and i like kuyt but i can see this happening

When we had the ball with no width in the team we where forced time after time to play it long and it just kept coming back

We will beat this team with ease at Anfield in 2 weeks time we will have at least 1 of Babel or Javi back in the side along with Gerrard

We should have had a Pen before they got theirs which wasnt and Pepe did the biz i thought Dossena looked dodgy at the back but his use of the ball wide was better than we have had

Back to Alonso Plessis and Lucas can both play that role in the team so for me he has to be sold if there is no money to bring in a player for the left of midfield whoever that may be if we had had Cole Downing or Barry in that team we would have beaten them you can get away with 1 square peg in your line up but 2 in the areas you are looking to create your chances from for your strike force you end up with what we got last night

there will be bags of improvement to come from this side and this game might just be a blessing as it might act as the kick up the arse we needed ahead of Saturdays game if we had played like that at sunderland we would have had the same result a draw and 2 points lost now seeing what the problems are in that team we have the choice now to either change the team around or go with the same but with more work on the training ground on the parts of the game we where so lacking in tonight

This might read like a moan to some but it isnt meant to i expected the type of game we got from the players on show i would play any youngster with a left foot in the left midfield roll rather than ask Yossie to play there that way we have only 1 player playing out of position and that would be kuyt and Finnan must have fucked Raffa's Mrs up the Arse to be so much out of favour much better things to come from this team but i think Rafa was right and G&H where wrong now there is a suprise

Don't count on it......

Rafa had 3 months to sort out our wide areas, and although it is early, he seems to have failed big time..... Yesterday we were crying out for some creative wide players, but istead we are left with Benayoun and Kuyt, who are simply not good enough at this level as they have no clue as to how to play there.......

Maybe it will be better when we return to our 4-2-3-1 formation, but 4-4-2 is pretty much not an alternative with the current players.....

I'd rather want us to play Hammil and Anderson play week in week out than Kuyt and Benayoun in a 4-4-2 formation.......

Yesterday was probably the worst performance I have ever seen from a Liverpool side, and most disappointing of all none of our weaknessess from last season seems to have been corrected......

-Terrible at defending freekicks and corners

-No creativity or goals threat from the wings

-Dependent on Torres and Gerrard

-Terrible at creating anything on our own corners and freekicks

At least it can only get better..... But I stand by my statement, we should worry about those behind us more than believe we are good enough to overtake the big spenders......