You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

UFO's: do you believe?

Kopite

I got wasted for the first time in a month (remember where I said I'd not drank in weeks) and just thought I'd go on a rant. I don't regret it. Know what I regret? Not doing it sooner.

Numero says I had a meltdown, but I spoke some truth that should be "covered up" in that meltdown.

Fuck off Numero, and yes buddy, it's 50/50.

Why isn't it 50/50 on other life possibly being present? Oh, you can't answer apart from speaking bullshit. What. A shame.

Cunt off, you bought and paid for, fucking cunt.

It's 50/50 you pseudo-science twat.

Rap have you ever been on the Six Crazy Minutes website? It's a liverpool forum, and one of the lads on there is a scientist (physicist I think) he's a very sharp. His name is Dantes and there's a thread where he explains lots of this type of stuff in laymans terms - Ask Dantes.

He's also autistic so some of his views on other stuff are fucked up.

• Upvote 1

He's pretending to be drunk. He's just doing what he does every time his world view isn't taken as a fact.

Pretending!

You sad, sad man.

I'll tell you a tale.

I wanted, after several drinks, to go to the local garage and get more alcohol quickly.

It didn't turn out well (I wanted a quick walk! Then back here drinking.) I'm in Beverley, and I turned down this sidestreet, and ended up walking along some fucking river. You know what? I thought "This must be a great place to live." Seriously all, it was really nice, serene, etc. Nice place. But it didn't get me to a garage for booze! Half an hour later I got my booze (just one bottle of becks, I have some vodka here too, but I can't drink that stuff on its own. Vodka killed my father, not a huge fan of the stuff alone), and ended up back here, at my laptop. But if you think I'm acting this, then that's great.

Why? Because I know I'm fucking drunk, so you have to be on a loser, right? That's unless, despite me being drunk, you can convince others that I'm sober, in which case, you're a big, bad, nasty fucking lizard head.

Rap have you ever been on the Six Crazy Minutes website? It's a liverpool forum, and one of the lads on there is a scientist (physicist I think) he's a very sharp. His name is Dantes and there's a thread where he explains lots of this type of stuff in laymans terms - Ask Dantes.

He's also autistic so some of his views on other stuff are fucked up.

Ok, will check that out, cheers!

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think the last thing I'll say to you on this is... If you need help getting straight, my inbox is always open.

• Upvote 1

I think the last thing I'll say to you on this is... If you need help getting straight, my inbox is always open.

Man, I just went 31 days, I just have a drink from time to time. Thanks, seriously for that. But I just like getting wasted every now and then, I stand by every post, not hiding behind alcohol here when it comes down to it (yes I had a laugh back there.) So feel free respond to any of it. This subject really winds me up, because I think that most people are very fucking wrong on it.

We are not "alone" the way I see it, for a fact. I wouldn't just post like that because of alcohol.

Just noticed I'm way past anyone else in posts in this thread now. I didn't want that. So I'll make me being here worth it if possible, and post up some of the research I've done in recent years. Will do that over the next 48 hours. (like I said it's a fave subject, no probs from me at all.)

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Seriously : I don't care now. I'm done trying to "reason" with some of you lot, you're just too stuck in your own bullshit. That's what I was saying.

I'll never get on with some of you in the same way after this. I don't care.

What reason have you presented? You've made statements and assertions and then tried to belittle science, then thrown some insults around. Nothing you've written is even bordering on reason or logic.

As for this 50/50 that we've been visited by aliens stuff, I'm just not sure whether to take it seriously or not. Surely even you, with your warped sense of reality and loose grip on logic and rational thought, can't be serious here. Just because you can't prove something hasn't happened, it doesn't mean that there's an equal chance of it having happened as not. There are a great many things that suggest the probability is significantly lower. Firstly, there has been absolutely no credible evidence to suggest they have. Secondly, there's absolutely nothing to suggest that interstellar travel is possible or practical in reality. Thirdly, whilst the size of the universe and amount of stars leads you to think that life on other planets or moons is probable, there's nothing to suggest that there is life intelligent enough to manipulate physics in the way required to travel near-unimaginable distances. Fourthly, even if there was a life form so intelligent and advanced that it could travel these distances, the universe isn't road mapped. It goes on a bit, in all directions. Finding Earth isn't a matter of just deciding you're going. Could it have happened? I'd say yes, there's a chance. Is it 50/50? No.

If you think there's a 50/50 chance because we can't prove it either way, then you have to accept a 50/50 chance of anything suggested, just because it can't be proven either way.

Firstly, there has been absolutely no credible evidence to suggest they have.

To protect a bunch of lazy, corrupt, fucking cunts. Lies. Fucking outright lies. Numero mate, even as I sober up, and with respect to you, know that we're going to disagree, and very sharply, on this one.

I'd rather trash science than defend it in this case. Utterly trash it.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

To protect a bunch of lazy, corrupt, fucking cunts. Lies. Fucking outright lies. Numero mate, even as I sober up, and with respect to you, know that we're going to disagree, very sharply, on this one.

Yes, so all you have to do is present some credible evidence. That's all you have to do. You're just saying words. You're making a bunch of statements, and ignoring all the other stuff I wrote above.

I'd rather trash science than defend it in this case. Utterly trash it.

I'm sure you would. But you don't seem to understand what science actually is. Science isn't corruptible, scientists are. There's just good science and bad science. The beauty of it is that it's testable. If somebody says something, does poor science, and comes out with the wrong conclusion you can correct it and pull it apart. You're not doing that, you're saying things like 'corrupt science' and 'liars'. It's proving nothing.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

OK, will post back later.

But first, do you want to acknowledge that the probability of having been visited by Aliens - something about which you said you don't have a belief either way - is reduced by the factors I mentioned, and frankly many other factors I haven't mentioned. Either that, or tell me why other factors don't matter to probability (and win the Fields Medal whilst doing it).

There's no aliens in this Galaxy. Even if there was, the number of intelligent aliens will be very small due to the known laws of evolution and requirements for life to get a foothold.

Note the definition of 'intelligence' used by SETI in its search is one capable of transmitting radio waves, other communication mediums or capable of showing signs of stellar engineering. For simplicity's sake, SETI tends to concentrate on radio waves as the base denominator.

Are there 'UFO's'? Undoubtedly. Anything that is in the air and doesnt conform to known parameters or identification is by definition 'unknown' but, like ancient monuments or acient huge structures built with precision beyond our understanding, it doesnt mean they are built or piloted by aliens.

Either this planet is unique in the galaxy for having multicellular intelligent life or, the galaxy has many planets supporting multicellular intelligent life.

Only one of those statements is correct.

Sorry but that's just as wrong as asserting that aliens are here. You have not one shred of evidence that that's the case.

So there goes me stopping posting here too. Ouch. Numero I'll reply to you tomorrow or something.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

My claim is based on the fact that, over millennia of recorded human history, there is not a single credible piece of evidence that suggests aliens have ever visited.  My claim is, therefore, not extraordinary.  The claim that creatures who may or may not exist have visited Earth - and left not a footprint before they fucked off again - is truly extraordinary.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

In regards to your firat statement, that there are no aliens in this galaxy: I guess it depends on your definition of alien. If it's life, I don't think you can say with anything resembling certainty. If it's little green men, whilst you still can't be certain - after all there are around 400 billion solar systems in the galaxy - I guess it does become less probable. Due to the size and number, making definitive statements is difficult.

Hail Mammon, bitches.

Fucking bullshit.

None of you have one shred of evidence that aliens haven't been here, I bet it hurts doesn't it? Fucking pathetic. Go and suck the scientific God's titties, because aliens could be all over the shop, and you just don't like it. Maybe it distracts you from the fucking X Factor. Fuck off.

Serious question - what would you accept as evidence of the absence of little green men?

Fucking zombies.

RP, I strongly recommend you get a copy of this.

http://grantabooks.com/Do-They-Think-Youre-Stupid

It's full of pointers of how reason and logic works.  It'll help you avoid some of the fallacies that keep getting you into squabbles.  If you can argue your points in a more rational and level-headed manner, people will have to address the issues you're arguing for, rather than bickering about your flawed approach to arguing.