You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

On 13/09/2020 at 21:40, The Guest said:

It was on sky the other day.  I sat up until about half 12 and watched the whole thing.  It’s mad how much the game has changed in 10 years.  Sami absolutely bosses it.  He’s the most underrated centre back of the modern era.  There’s a bit where he pulls the ball out of the air facing his own goal under pressure and just kills it.  Tyler calls him lucky the daft cunt.  Very similar to the Van Dijk mistake situation funnily enough against Leeds.  Aurelio has a great game as well and completely shuts down Ronaldo.  Another game where Scholes is left out as well.

What did you mean about the mad changes in the past 10 years ? You meant pace , pressing , gegenpressing ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Arnaud said:

What did you mean about the mad changes in the past 10 years ? You meant pace , pressing , gegenpressing ?

Yeah the whole lot.  The game was a lot more individual then I think.  We spent a lot of the time  just clipping the ball forward when there were easy passes on.  You take it for granted now I think how often players play a pass under pressure.  United were doing plenty of it themselves as well.  They’re only subtle things I think like playing passes that are slightly riskier and if it was one or two it wouldn’t make much difference but the fact every player is doing it and all game the whole feel of the game is different.

In terms of pressing you see the odd player do it and there’s clearly no structure to it.  You watch now and most teams who press high do it in specific situations or weight for certain triggers and the rest of the team follows (when it’s done correctly).  It’s not just the top teams doing this either.  I think the thing that’s changed the least is one on one defending.  It’s a skill like passing a long ball or shooting, it is what it is.  Players tend to be good at it or not.  Sami is in his twilight years here drafted in at late notice and is probably man of the match.

This is just one game though and it could be a weird example to use because United Liverpool games were usually always right nervous games especially around that period.

• Upvote 1