You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Last nights Boxing

sir roger

Did any of the boxing guys watch last nights fights on Setanta.

The Roy Jones Jr / Felix Trinidad fight wasn't as bad as it might have been & I think RJJ would give Joe Calzaghe plenty of problems , even at 39. Trinidad was very brave considering he looked like he was fighting with gloves made of blancmange against an opponent who threatened to take his head off every time he landed. I don't know how Tito still looks like a L'Oreal model considering the hard fights he's had.

No surprises in Skelton's performance. Brave , honest & very likeable in interviews , but a damning indictment on the heavyweight scene that he got a shot at the 2nd most prestigious belt in the world. Very disappointed in Chagaev , but with his lay off & the Hepatitis B thing will watch him again before making a full judgement.

ps Did anybody see the Malignaggi fight last week. He looked absolute bobbins & I would throw my house on Hatton if they ever fought. I thought Ngoudjo might just have edged the fight , but Paulie got it by ridiculous 6 & 7 round margins.

How small is Frank Moloney by the way , he looked like he was going to disappear down the back of the chair like a 50p piece. Fair do's to him for not puffing the fight up just because Setanta were paying him. More or less said shit match up , Matt's crap & Chagaev will batter him. Even Bunce was shocked into silence for once.

Guest PaddyBerger15

Good round up that Rog....cheers. I didn't see either fight. In some ways its good hear that RJJ still has something left, but I still wouldn't like to see him fight on, he doesn't need to and he is a pale imitation of his old self.

Skelton is big, tough and game, and thats about it. Chagaev is no Joe Louis but he is in comparison to Matt....an honourable points defeat was the best that he could've hoped for.

Good round up that Rog....cheers. I didn't see either fight. In some ways its good hear that RJJ still has something left, but I still wouldn't like to see him fight on, he doesn't need to and he is a pale imitation of his old self.Skelton is big, tough and game, and thats about it. Chagaev is no Joe Louis but he is in comparison to Matt....an honourable points defeat was the best that he could've hoped for.

See if you can get a look at the fight PB . I know Tito was much smaller than him but Roy looked as good as I've seen him for a good bit.

Guest PaddyBerger15
See if you can get a look at the fight PB . I know Tito was much smaller than him but Roy looked as good as I've seen him for a good bit.

I will do mate....I'd love to see a competitive RJJ fight on, and although I haven't seen the fight, I can't help feeling that Tito will have flattered Roy in his size, style and rustiness.

Obviously I can only comment properly once I've seen it....cheers for the update

As I said on the other thread I felt that Jones measured Tito up in the 1st 2 rounds and realised that he couldn't be hurt. After that all his confidence came back and he was showboating all over the place. It would be a different story against a geniune light heavyweight though, there's no way he'd look as good as he did on Saturday. I'd take Calzaghe to beat him any day, as long as he keeps to the level he's currently fighting at. If he reaches the point were's he's lost it and he fights Jones after that then Roy would have a chance.

As for Skelton, I never fancied his chances. He's just not good enough to be world champion, even in this age of poor heavyweights. I thought that fight showed the gulf in class in the heavyweight division as Skelton is Britain's top heavyweight at the minute but he was outclassed by Chagaev, who in turn is a poor world champion who wouldn't have lasted 2 rounds with someone like Lennox Lewis.

As I said on the other thread I felt that Jones measured Tito up in the 1st 2 rounds and realised that he couldn't be hurt. After that all his confidence came back and he was showboating all over the place.

exactly. He actually went over the top a bit in the show boating stakes. I would have liked to see him step it up a little bit in the middle rounds and go for a KO. He looked really good, so powerful from short punches too. Tito just couldnt cope with the natural weight difference.

Calzaghe would have to be very careful against him because he has serious knock out power when he chooses to use it.